Cell Phones (Nokia)

Hi

I bought a new Nokia 6060 about 6 months ago and have been really disapointed with its performance. It gets bad reception, and is not as user friendly as previous Nokias that I’ve had.

I know very little about cell phones. Is there a number or a statistic to look for on a phone that measures a phones reception capability? Are all cell phones more or less the same when it comes to reception or are some much better?

I’m looking at upgrading to the Nokia 2660. Does anyone out there have one and how would you rate it?

What I would really love is to be able to borrow one for a couple days (or even rent) in order to properly try it out.
If anyone knows of a service like this please let me know.

Thanx

You didn’t like the Nokia 6060 (flip phone) and now you want to buy the Nokia 2660 (flip phone)? They’re pretty much the same thing.
Why not try a different style of Nokia and stay away from the flip phone versions.
Or try a totally new brand of phone. Do you only use Nokia because you are comfortable with their operating system?
Taiwan is filled with different brands/kinds of cell phones. Check these websites out:
phonedaily.com/ (it’s in chinese but you’ll be able to see the pictures and prices)
newmobile.nl/eur/en/index.php (you’ll be able to check out almost all brands and specifications)
Happy phone hunting!

I am another one who recently bought a Nokia and am disappointed with it. I purchased a new nokia.co.uk/link?cid=PLAIN_TEXT_74015

And it’s a bit rubbish. My old Nokia was an even more basic model and I thought I would get a model up this time, but although this is supposed to be a bomb proof basic model Nokia, the sound quality is poor, the ringing is too quiet, the buttons too difficult for even slightly thick fingers to operate, and I could go on. The speaker phone is way, way to quiet and if you are calling someone and listening through speaker phone to hear if the other side is ringing you can’t hear a thing.
The only thing nice about this phone is the battery standby which keeps it ticking for a week with about ten minutes of talk each day by my reckoning so its probably one of the best battery saving devices around I think, but If you want anything else, then forget about it and go for the even more basic Nokia model which I can’t remember to model number for, but its the one that is about 2,000nt in any shop without a contract. I used to have the most basic one and it served me very well for a year and a half before I drowned it in water. I wish I had repurchased that old one again really.

I’ve had trouble with Nokia cell phones as well. I previously used one a few years ago and was very frustrated with it. Poorly put together, poor signal reception. Friends with Nokia phones could get a signal in the same spot I couldn’t, same service provider. Piece of crap.
I’m sticking with Motorola or something else next purchase. I currently am using an LG. The phone is basically okay, but their software and interface sucks. And I-mode is such a marketing rip-off. No thanks Korea. :raspberry:

Well forgive me, but you think you are frustrated with Nokia? Then just try possibly the worst phone put together with Moto. I have had problems with those phones on a list longer than my arm, but I’ll specify in breif.

1. The batteries always become useless very quickly and require replacement. Possibly the largest problems with Moto phones.

2. They break faster than any other phone on the market and I have used and broken a few, albeit not all mine.

3. The menu is perhaps the most perplexing ever created aside from the first PHS series.

4. The program that you can purchase separately for Motos which allows your PC to “communicate” with your phone is completely and utterly useless and requires at least five updates, totaling about 30mb on first installment before it works and then is still useless at transferring quality pictures and music, reducing quality to an automated, non controllable minimum. My greatest man made hate must be Motorolla it seems.

5. Recent Motos don’t come with all the ABCs on the alluminium keypad resulting in more confusion and frustration when typing messages. Oh, they are there on the mock phone, but you will find rather absent on the real one as it has Bo Po Mo instead.

The gripes go on and on with Motos. Stick to your LG I say!

How about this?, us phone users give a rating from one to ten of phone manufacturers we have sampled and we can then compare results and notes in order that we can make safer purchases based on our experiences. I’m all for getting a more usable less frustrating phone no matter what brand it is so here goes mine.

Ericsson = 5 points. A great package until the terminals for charging corrode and render it useless either before or after the joystick has failed and done the same. If only they were of better quality, they would be my favorite phone. Oh and Taiwanese get frustrated with Ericsson’s inverted Bo-Po-Mo keypad.

Motorolla= 3 points. Good tools only if you can ever find them in the menu system, but crap and expensive software disk. Poor batteries and build quality.

LG= Never tried one.

Nokia= 6: Best all round phones albeit too expensive for what you get. Good menu system, excellent texting system offering hundreds more characters per text than any other phone. Boring looks resembling large lego bricks, and recently poorer quality than earlier models.

Why don’t you guys try an HTC Smartphone. www.htc.com With Window Mobile OS, they are great phones. Used ones will cost around $4000nt ~ $10,000nt, but they are well worth it.
Last time I was in Taiwan, I bought a 2nd hand Dopod (company bought by HTC) 586W. It’s a candy bar shaped phone, windows mobile 5, 1.3mp camera, and best of all…WiFi. If I remember correctly…I spent $4500nt. And because it’s a quad-band phone, I can use it here in Canada without problems.
Don’t settle for Moto or Nokia or even LG…look around, you’ll find something a lot better. www.phonedaily.com

I have always like Sony Ericsson phones.

Well forgive me, but you think you are frustrated with Nokia? Then just try possibly the worst phone put together with Moto. I have had problems with those phones on a list longer than my arm, but I’ll specify in breif.

1. The batteries always become useless very quickly and require replacement. Possibly the largest problems with Moto phones.

2. They break faster than any other phone on the market and I have used and broken a few, albeit not all mine.

3. The menu is perhaps the most perplexing ever created aside from the first PHS series.

4. The program that you can purchase separately for Motos which allows your PC to “communicate” with your phone is completely and utterly useless and requires at least five updates, totaling about 30mb on first installment before it works and then is still useless at transferring quality pictures and music, reducing quality to an automated, non controllable minimum. My greatest man made hate must be Motorolla it seems.

5. Recent Motos don’t come with all the ABCs on the alluminium keypad resulting in more confusion and frustration when typing messages. Oh, they are there on the mock phone, but you will find rather absent on the real one as it has Bo Po Mo instead.

The gripes go on and on with Motos. Stick to your LG I say![/quote]

Interesting. My experience with Motorola has been quite the opposite. No brand is perfect, but for me, Motorola have lasted the longest before needing repairs.
Their menu is very straightforward, quite well set up IMO. I’m surprised to hear you are perplexed by it. Try LG and you’ll see what I mean.
My friend’s newer Motorola has all the ABCs on the keypad, and it’s not a knock-off. All my previous ones did too.
After my experience with Nokia, I wouldn’t buy another before trying another brand, if I wasn’t going to go with Motorola.

The battery problem by the way, is not limited to just Motorola. It happens regardless of what brand or size you have.

The keypad I was referring to was the original Razr keypad and the only picture I can find of it online is here:

unless they have recently updated the Razr series in Taiwan then they were all the same and lacking in ABCs on the limited space of the keys. All of the mock phones in the shops and images online can all be seen with only ABCs on the keypads, but upon opening the box the real phone was lacking ABCs and has ㄅㄆㄇㄈ instead.

Interestingly I came across this article online which has a chart also showing Moto phones as the least reliable in studies. But that was 2005, perhaps phones have changed a lot since then, but if you ask me I would say that since I can remember Motos have always been a bit ragged round the edges. The shock I have had recently is that Nokia have fallen from my old top spot at being the most reliable. Perhaps I need to try myself a Korean phone next time.

gizmag.com/go/4335/

[quote=“cdnmagic”]Why don’t you guys try an HTC Smartphone. www.htc.com With Window Mobile OS, they are great phones. Used ones will cost around $4000nt ~ $10,000nt, but they are well worth it.
Last time I was in Taiwan, I bought a 2nd hand Dopod (company bought by HTC) 586W. It’s a candy bar shaped phone, windows mobile 5, 1.3mp camera, and best of all…WiFi. If I remember correctly…I spent $4500nt. And because it’s a quad-band phone, I can use it here in Canada without problems.
Don’t settle for Moto or Nokia or even LG…look around, you’ll find something a lot better. www.phonedaily.com[/quote]

I don’t know whether I would use the functions of a smart phone really. I just want one that has a good toilet time game, easy texting, ease of use and good stand by time.