Certificate of Lectureship Application Questions

The university you work for usually applies for this on your behalf as far as I am aware.

My questions are:

1. Do you have to provide them with any documents for such an application? (Thesis, etc)
  2. Does your degree have to be related to English in order for you to apply for this certificate?
  3. Do you have to have worked at the university for a certain amount of time?
  4. Is the application procedure different for part-time and full-time teachers?
  5. Can you apply for this by yourself or does it ALWAYS have to be the university?

Kind Regards.

I don’t have any personal knowledge of the subject, but here is a thread on it: Certificate of Lectureship?

The next-to-last post in the above-linked thread contains a link to “Regulations Governing the Screening of Qualification on Teachers of Junior Colleges and Higher Levels.” Here’s that link: en.nttu.edu.tw/ct.asp?xItem=440&ctNode=412&mp=11

I think it is almost identical to the Japanese system (that I am currently dealing with).

If so, then:

Only your uni can apply for you, you need all the supporting papers as evidence if called for but can submit copies or links to the originals.
You do not need to have worked for the uni before applying for a certificate (in fact, you can’t work as a professor in charge of a course without a certificate). ,
the procedure for part time and full time workers is the same.
you won’t get a ticket for teaching in an area you are not qualified in (ie, the degree must be relevant).
the certificate is yours in perpetuity once granted.

This may not apply in Taiwan anymore, but i bet it is still based on the original Japanese system.

[quote=“emerihsoetihw”]The university you work for usually applies for this on your behalf as far as I am aware.

My questions are:

1. Do you have to provide them with any documents for such an application? (Thesis, etc)
  2. Does your degree have to be related to English in order for you to apply for this certificate?
  3. Do you have to have worked at the university for a certain amount of time?
  4. Is the application procedure different for part-time and full-time teachers?
  5. Can you apply for this by yourself or does it ALWAYS have to be the university?
    Kind Regards.[/quote]

I haven’t done this for many years, but it used to be:

1. You provided them a diploma (MA, usually, for a lecturer, Ph.D for ass’t/assoc professor). Notarized or legalized or whatever by the rep office closest to your uni.
  2. I don’t know – but since my MA was in Chinese Linguistics and my Lecturer position was in teaching English, I don’t think so.
  3. No, the university that applied did this during the application process. My understanding is that it was a requirement for me to teach there. Your salary is also based on the particular type of certificate you have – I was ripped off for 2 months of tenure time because someone sat on my Assoc Prof license certificate for awhile, so I was officially still only a Lecturer until it was issued.
  4. I don’t know about part-time, sorry.
  5. I have never heard of anyone applying on their own. Not to say it couldn’t be done but I doubt it, based on my knowledge of TW bureaucracy. I’d love to be proven wrong, though.

HTH