Change WHV to Work Visa impossible?

Hello everyone,

I just got my Work permit granted, I went to BOCA to change my Working Holiday Visa to Work they told I need to leave Taiwan an apply overseas and wait the border open, only because my WHV is exceed 1 year,

I got 30 days extension from NIA because my Work permit is granted and they told me to change my visa at BOCA then do the ARC at NIA, don’t need to leave Taiwan
Funny thing I arrived 13th August 2020, after 6 months they extended until 8th August 2021 and not 13th August 2021, I don’t know why and the day I went to BOCA is 13th
Maybe do 30 days extension until they open border and fly to Singapour ?
it’s doesn’t make any sense I can loose my job and my work Visa

Thanks for the help :pray:

Hi! I also have a working holiday visa and understand your situation quite well, as I also would like to stay longer.

When I extended my visa in June, I also only got 180 days extension, just 5 days less than expected which required me to change my flight :roll_eyes:
The lady at NIA explained to me, the visa is technically not one year but 360 days (initially 180days plus another 180 days extension).
You can check the rule here:
https://www.boca.gov.tw/cp-153-392-5786c-2.html

Although the working holiday visa is a type of visitor visa, which normally is possible to change but they unfortunately attached the regulation, that WHV can’t be changed to another visa type.
It’s written here under Point 3:
https://www.boca.gov.tw/cp-153-396-69bf1-2.html

I guess in your case the bureau who told you to change your visa type, are not aware of this special rule. As long as the entry ban on foreigners without ARC is effective, we wouldn’t be able to return to Taiwan after we left.
As far as I know Taiwan’s visa offices don’t issue new visa without permit from the CDC (Center for disease control) and it seems they only grant it for social or humanitarian reasons.

1 Like

Thank you for your reply,

When I applied for my work permit I tried to get 30 days extension at NIA and they refused, then I came back once it was granted and they gave my 30 days,
I will try to get another extension until they open their borders and fly to Singapour but not sure if NIA will give me again,