Changing a Visitor Visa into a Resident Visa

Here’s another version of the same text in English but update most recently:

https://www.immigration.gov.tw/ct.asp?xItem=1090141&ctNode=30085&mp=2

Instructions for Application for Residency Status by Foreign Nationals with Visitor Visas(Serial No. 0915)
Date:2012/8/21
4. The police records:
(5) For applications filed pursuant to subparagraphs 1 and 2, Article 23 of the Act:
a. An applicant does not have to submit police records IF: the applicant and the joint-family subject have the same nationality;
their kinship has existed before the applicant’s entry into Taiwan;
and the joint-family subject is exempted from submitting police records according to his/her application for residency;
b. If a joint-family application is based upon a marriage that occurred after entry into Taiwan, the applicant still has to submit police records.

Ok after reading this over and over again, I saw something that I don’t quite understand since English is not my first language and I don’t want to misinterpret:

Notice for Foreigners Who Want to Change Their Visitor Visa into a Resident Visa
Date:2012/7/5
4. The police records:
(4) For applications filed pursuant to subparagraphs 1 and 2, Article 23 of the Act:
An applicant does not have to submit police records IF: the applicant and the joint-family subject have the same nationality; their kinship has existed before the applicant’s entry into Taiwan; and the joint-family subject is exempted from submitting police records according to his/her application for residency;

Instructions for Application for Residency Status by Foreign Nationals with Visitor Visas(Serial No. 0915)
4. The police records:
(5) For applications filed pursuant to subparagraphs 1 and 2, Article 23 of the Act:
a. An applicant does not have to submit police records IF: the applicant and the joint-family subject have the same nationality;
and the joint-family subject is exempted from submitting police records according to his/her application for residency;
b. If a joint-family application is based upon a marriage that occurred after entry into Taiwan, the applicant still has to submit police records.

In Chinese reads something like this.

https://www.immigration.gov.tw/ct_cert.asp?xItem=1089373&ctNode=32598&mp=1

外僑持停留簽證入國,申請外僑居留證送件須知
更新日期:2012/4/12
(四) 刑事紀錄證明:
4、 依本法第23條第1項第1款申請者,申請人與外籍依親對象入境前親屬關係已存在,如依親對象為無需檢附刑事紀錄證明者,免附

Please note the update dates, I’m struggling big time to get my paperwork done in Mexico, so if I can skip the Police Records it will be awesome. Btw I marry my taiwanese 4 1/2 years ago in the US, I have been in Taiwan a month and a half and my 60 day visa still have 45 days left (I did a visa run).

The wife called today the Immigration office in Nantou City (We are in the mountains) and they just told her “don’t believe everything you see on the internet”. Also at first they asked me to get my US marriage registered in Mexico (Taichung MOFA) but in Nantou they told her it wasn’t necesary since I’m already in her household registration and we apparently sign our marriage here in Jhushan.

Is there a place to check a fresh Immigartion Act? I mean to get copies and stuff in case I actually can “fight” this.

Thanks and sorry again for my poor English skills.

Ok after reading this over and over again, I saw something that I don’t quite understand since English is not my first language and I don’t want to misinterpret:

Notice for Foreigners Who Want to Change Their Visitor Visa into a Resident Visa
Date:2012/7/5
4. The police records:
(4) For applications filed pursuant to subparagraphs 1 and 2, Article 23 of the Act:
An applicant does not have to submit police records IF: the applicant and the joint-family subject have the same nationality; their kinship has existed before the applicant’s entry into Taiwan; and the joint-family subject is exempted from submitting police records according to his/her application for residency;

4. The police records:

In Chinese reads something like this.

https://www.immigration.gov.tw/ct_cert.asp?xItem=1089373&ctNode=32598&mp=1

外僑持停留簽證入國,申請外僑居留證送件須知
更新日期:2012/4/12
(四) 刑事紀錄證明:
4、 依本法第23條第1項第1款申請者,申請人與外籍依親對象入境前親屬關係已存在,如依親對象為無需檢附刑事紀錄證明者,免附

Please note the update dates, I’m struggling big time to get my paperwork done in Mexico, so if I can skip the Police Records it will be awesome. Btw I marry my taiwanese 4 1/2 years ago in the US, I have been in Taiwan a month and a half and my 60 day visa still have 45 days left (I did a visa run).

The wife called today the Immigration office in Nantou City (We are in the mountains) and they just told her “don’t believe everything you see on the internet”. Also at first they asked me to get my US marriage registered in Mexico (Taichung MOFA) but in Nantou they told her it wasn’t necesary since I’m already in her household registration and we apparently sign our marriage here in Jhushan.

Is there a place to check a fresh Immigartion Act? I mean to get copies and stuff in case I actually can “fight” this.

Thanks and sorry again for my poor English skills.[/quote]

I’m sorry that you are finding out how difficult it is to get administrative things done in Taiwan when…

1. Many things on the “official” government web pages aren’t current or updated in a timely manner.
  2. You get two or more different answers to the same question from two or more different “official” government offices on the same day.
  3. Your paperwork is time sensitive and you need a “correct” answer NOW!

Many times, the members of Forumosa know even more than the Taiwan government officials who are supposed to be the duty experts. I’ll try to give you the best information that I have regarding your situation and others who’ve gone through the procedures for a JFRV can chime in, too.

1. There isn’t a place where you can get 100% correct and up to date immigration information. You’ve already done the best that you could. Official government web pages, two different NIA offices and you’re no closer to feeling confident that you’ve received a correct answer or that you are on the right path.

2. You are a foreigner who is married to a Taiwanese citizen. Therefore, in order to apply for a JFRV through your Taiwanese wife, you DO NEED to get a criminal background check from your home country of Mexico. Every foreigner who marries a Taiwanese citizen must get a police background from their home country in order to get the JFRV. I applied for my JFRV back in 2001 and it was required.

3. Regarding getting your marriage registered in Mexico. That shouldn’t be required. If your wife has already managed to get you added on her household registration with your US marriage certificate, it should be fine. Where you were married shouldn’t be an issue, only that you were married legally.

Best of luck to you. :bow:

[quote=“Northcoast Surfer”]

1. Your posting doesn’t belong in this APRC thread. Your situation deals with marriage to a Taiwanese citizen and applying for a JFRV (Joining Family Resident Visa), not permanent residency. I’ll try to get a moderator to move your post to a thread of its own.[/quote]

Thanks, I appreciate that.

Well I actually just trying to get around from requesting a Police Record since they made it sound really hard to make when I was trying to get the info.
But my mother called last night (during office hours over there) and they e-mailed a full explanation of the requirements I will need to fill to get it. And apparently is doable. As long as I get to the micro-consulate in Taipei to work with me. They already gave me a letter requesting the Police Record, a copy of my passport, certified and 3 set of my finger prints, now the little issue was they direct it to the Police Offices in Mexico city and they ask for a ton more stuff than the state where I was living before moving to the US (military card, certified copy of birth certificade not older than 3 months, wtf). Also besides from Mexico you don’t have to get your police records from the “mexican fbi” but from your own state entity.

If anybody need to know here the PGR page in Mexico City.
http://www.pgr.gob.mx/servicios/constancia/antecedentes%20registrales.asp

And for Estado de Mexico (Mexico State)
http://tramites.edomex.gob.mx/Servicios_linea/principal.jsp