Changing an Oklahoma license to a Taiwan Drivers license

Hey everyone,

I ran a search and discovered that an Oklahoma license can be exchanged for a Taiwan drivers license. The last post on this was in 2004. I was wondering if this is still applicable, I know the taiwansese change shit all the time.

I just want to know because I am a Wisconsin resident and my parents live in Oklahoma so I can just change my license before I come. I have done it before and the Oklahoma test is easy, they just test your eyes and you are done. I think its funny that oklahoma is recognized or was recognized for an exchange because their DMV’s test is so damn easy and they have some real shit ass drivers.

[quote=“djkonstable”]I think its funny that oklahoma is recognized or was recognized for an exchange because their DMV’s test is so damn easy and they have some real shit ass drivers.[/quote]It’s based on the principle of reciprocity. Make of that what you will.

I haven’t heard of any changes to the regulations in this regard, so I guess it’s still possible to get a Taiwanese license if you have one from Oklahoma.

It’s based on the principle of reciprocity. Make of that what you will.

Yeah I know, but it still find it comical that Oklahoma is one of the states recognized after driving and living there for a little while. My dad still bitches about the drivers. Especially how people don’t understand the difference between the fast lane and the slower lane. I guess I will be taking an eye exam this summer down at the DMV. It will definitely make things easier.

[quote=“djkonstable”]It’s based on the principle of reciprocity. Make of that what you will.

Yeah I know, but it still find it comical that Oklahoma is one of the states recognized after driving and living there for a little while. My dad still bitches about the drivers. Especially how people don’t understand the difference between the fast lane and the slower lane. …[/quote]

Well then they would fit in better than most here.

The terrifying thing about this is that there could be people on the road in Oklahoma with only a Taiwanese driving license! :runaway:

You know, when you want to get information from Oklahomans, adding insults might not be the best approach. :s

And, by the way, those who have to take nothing more than an eye exam for an Oklahoma license are those moving into Oklahoma with a valid license from another state. Wisconsin does the same thing for those moving into Wisconsin. If you start from scratch in Oklahoma, getting a license is considerably more trouble, just as it is everywhere else in the States.

Regarding changing an OK license to a local one, yes, that can be done unless something has changed in the past few years. You’ll still need the health check, though.

But if you want a scooter license as well, you’ll need to take the scooter driving test. In OK people need only one license for both cars and motorcycles; but in Taiwan they won’t let you get both automatically. At least you can skip the written test for scooter licenses.

The local DMV has a booklet with photos of valid driver’s licenses; so the person behind the desk will probably look up the Oklahoma one there. There’s a good chance, however, that the booklet has not been updated since OK changed its license format several years ago, so be prepared to argue that your OK license is indeed real. I recommend going in armed with printouts of sample licenses from the official OK bureau; make sure the URL is on those pages so the people there can look it up for themselves if they need additional reassurance.

For that matter, you should probably bring with you a copy of the page on the local DMV’s own website that says OK licenses can be traded for local ones. And don’t forget your passport and ARC. The people in the office will probably date your license only until the expiration of your ARC, which is wrong but good luck convincing them otherwise.

[quote=“djkonstable”]It’s based on the principle of reciprocity. Make of that what you will.

Yeah I know, but it still find it comical that Oklahoma is one of the states recognized after driving and living there for a little while. My dad still bitches about the drivers. Especially how people don’t understand the difference between the fast lane and the slower lane. I guess I will be taking an eye exam this summer down at the DMV. It will definitely make things easier.[/quote]

well it just means the oklahomans drive just like the taiwanese do already and of course will fit right in :slight_smile:

exactly :happybiker: :noway:

cranky laowai: You know, when you want to get information from Oklahomans, adding insults might not be the best approach.

I said some not all okies… besides my bro is an okie, he has lived there most of his life. Thanks for the info Cranky.

and if Cranky laowai is an okie …

BOOOMMEEEERRR … SOOONNEEER

[quote=“cranky laowai”]And don’t forget your passport and ARC. The people in the office will probably date your license only until the expiration of your ARC, which is wrong but good luck convincing them otherwise.[/quote]In a legal sense, it’s not “wrong” any more. A change to the law a while back made this practice official. The good news is that they’ll update/extend the license without charge when you show them subsequent ARCs, up to a maximum of six years.