Changing from visitor visa to work visa in Taiwan

OK, I called the TECO in Seattle (home visiting), and asked about how long it would take to get a tourist visa. During the course of the conversation, I mentioned that I was going to teach, and that the schools told me to come on a tourist visa, and then I would change my visa type while in Taiwan. The woman I spoke to said that it’s impossible to change visa type inside Taiwan now, and said I had to get my working visa while outside of Taiwan, before going. Is this right? If so, it completely works against anyone not currently in Taiwan, but trying to find work. Does anyone have any info on this? Was I just being screwed around?

I managed to go straight from visitor visa to ARC a few months ago without leaving Taiwan. But when I applied for the visitor visa I said it was for “employment purposes” and already had an appointment letter from the university where I work… I actually didn’t get any other in the passport type of visa, just the ARC.
since we weren’t sure whether my appointment letter would arrive in time, my Taiwanese contact did some investigating and said that someone at the Bureau of Consular Affairs in Taiwan told him (in Oct.) that “since August 2008, foreigners with visa-exempt entry (including US) can apply the visitor visa in 30 days once they arrive, without leaving and going back Taiwan again, and then they can apply Alien Resident Certificate (ARC) by their visitor visa”

so it seems like it’s possible to go from landing visa to visitor visa to ARC without leaving Taiwan, maybe the people in Seattle don’t know the new rule?

Hi lilongyue,

No, that’s not true. Everyone I know comes on a 30 or 60-day tourist visa and changes it to a work visa once in Taiwan (unless that has changed very, very recently…can anyone verify?).

But when you apply for the visa, do NOT tell TECO what your intentions are (rather, tell them you are visiting friends or touring or whatever). They will probably deny you a 60-day visa if you tell them your actual plan, because the assumption is that you will technically be working illegally for the first 6 weeks or so of your stay until your work visa is actually processed. That’s what everyone does, but technically it’s illegal.

Just wanted to follow up with everyone. I’m in Taiwan now, and got my 60 day visitor visa at the TECO in Seattle, Washington, USA. When I turned in the paperwork, they asked for a travel itinerary. I made a fake one by copying and pasting some flight info from a website. The guy at the TECO went over all the paperwork with a fine toothed comb, and noticed that my name wasn’t anywhere on the itinerary. I said it was an e-ticket, that I had just cut and paste it from an email, and maybe I had forgotten to include that info. He accepted the paperwork, and I got the visa no problem. I flew to Taiwan from Beijing on a one-way ticket. No one questioned this, or asked to see a round-trip ticket or travel itinerary, even at immigration in Taiwan.

I also went from a 60 day visitor visa to an ARC. No resident visa needed.

You can’t go from a landing visa to a resident visa. If you arrange a visa before arriving, that can be changed to some other visa form, as long as there is enough time on your visa for the necessary paperwork to be done.

landing visa -> resident visa NO
visa you paid for -> resident visa YES

[quote=“ichbinjenny”]You can’t go from a landing visa to a resident visa. If you arrange a visa before arriving, that can be changed to some other visa form, as long as there is enough time on your visa for the necessary paperwork to be done.

visa you paid for -> resident visa YES[/quote]

You CAN go from a visitor’s visa to a resident’s visa. There are new rules as of 2008 - a lady at the Bureau of Consular Affairs gave me a copy of them (they are in Chinese); she also explained it all to me. I was going through this very process until she noticed I had overstayed my visitor’s visa by one day, so I had to fly to Hong Kong.

But: landing visa -> resident visa YES

[quote=“Thelonlieste”][quote=“ichbinjenny”]You can’t go from a landing visa to a resident visa. If you arrange a visa before arriving, that can be changed to some other visa form, as long as there is enough time on your visa for the necessary paperwork to be done.

visa you paid for -> resident visa YES[/quote]

You CAN go from a visitor’s visa to a resident’s visa. There are new rules as of 2008 - a lady at the Bureau of Consular Affairs gave me a copy of them (they are in Chinese); she also explained it all to me. I was going through this very process until she noticed I had overstayed my visitor’s visa by one day, so I had to fly to Hong Kong.

But: landing visa -> resident visa YES[/quote]

A landing visa and visitor visa are not the same. You can’t get an ARC on a landing Visa but you can on a 60 day visitor Visa that you obtained before leaving for Taiwan.

I might be mistaken, but I recall that you can obtain a X-day visitor visa while in Taiwan. You have to apply and pay an additional fee. I remember this because I had just flown to Tokyo to get a visa and the fee of getting the visa while in Taiwan was SIGNIFICANTLY lower than my expenses in Tokyo (but staying a few days in Tokyo was SIGNIFICANTLY more interesting).

So, back to my original equation.

Dude… so you forged your return flight as an e-ticket and got away with it?? That’s awesome… What do you think would happen if they didn’t believe it? I’m struggling with trying to figure out the best way to get my flights sorted out to apply for my tourist to ARC visa myself…

Just to wrap this up conclusively I cite the BOCA website (FAQ Section) which states that one can change from a visitors visa to a residency visa provided that there three conditions are fulfilled: read below

ACTUAL TEXT:

Can a foreign national who has entered Taiwan on a visitor visa change the status of his/her visa to that of a resident visa, or extend the visa in the event of a force majeure or an emergency? How can one apply for this change?
The applicant must submit a written statement explaining the purpose of the extension to BOCA or MOFA’s branch offices, and should also submit relevant documents concerning the emergency. The applicant must also prepare the required documents set out in Q1. (Note: if the application is denied, the application fee is non-refundable). However, this does not apply to:

1. Visitors who have entered Taiwan on visa-exempt entries or on landing visas;
  2. Visitors who have overstayed their visas; and
  3. Visitors who have already changed the status of their visas.

Zadig, that’s great. Thank you for answering this question once and for all once again.

Could you add the link to that particular piece of info? In fact could you also copy your answer into the sticky about arriving from Korea - and also PM the mods and suggest they change the name so that there is a fairly definitive and up-to date answer to this question.

It comes up again and again, and it would be nice to not hear it again until the rules change again. (ie next week.)

I’m coming to Taipei to work in a university. I’ve applied for the work permit and should get it by the time I arrive in Taiwan. I will enter with a visitor visa and change it to a resident visa in the country (since it seems to be possible based on this thread). I have understood that before applying for the resident visa I need to go through a health check. Now I’m wondering if someone knows how long does it take to change the visitor visa to a resident visa (not including the time it takes to get the health check results)?

Also, I’m going to work for exactly 6 months and apparently you can get an ARC if you work for a minimum of 6 months. Does someone know whether this will be a problem for me? I’m also not sure if I can start working after I get the work permit but before I get the ARC, and my professor at the university seems to be confused with this.

Btw, has anyone got their medical check done in Wanfang hospital? I would like to know how it works there.

Thanks for all help!

If you have a visitor’s visa then you’re allowed to be in the country. If you have a work permit then you’re allowed to work, but should begin the process of converting your visitor’s visa to a resident visa. (The work permit is the basis for granting resident status.)

You need the health check to get the resident visa. The health check takes a bit over a week to get the paperwork. I haven’t done it at Wanfang, and I would imagine they’re not set up to do it quickly and painlessly. Ren’ai Hospital is only a few stops away from Wanfang on the MRT and the last time I did it there it took less than one hour.

Changing the visitor visa to a resident visa can take weeks, but who cares? If the paperwork is in process then you’re in the clear. You’re allowed to be in the country, and you’re allowed to be working. The visa is usually not placed in your passport. It’s all done electronically, so the immigration guys know about it, and the ARC states that you’re allowed to be in TW.

ARC = residency, not working rights. Residency happens to be based on employment in your case
Work permit = permission to work. If they take care of that before you arrive then you’re OK.

For simplicity, especially if your university is not really up to speed with this stuff, it may be better to sign a 12-month contract with an option to terminate after 6. This not only means that you’re applying for a ‘standard’ ARC, it also means you have time at the end of your contract period to do any sightseeing, etc.

Okay. This is rather easy and recent.

There is only one route to a work visa and ARC now unless you mysteriously manage to get a work visa before your arrival.

Landing visa… --> Visitor’s visa… --> Work visa and ARC.

It works on a payment scheme. They want the money, not needless inconveniences that scare away legitimate workers. I think that I have paid around eight or nine thousand start-to-finish. “Wow! So expensive!” My boss said with a characteristically Mandarin twang. I rolled my eyes a bit.

Oh, and it only takes about a month in total to complete every step. Most of that time is just awaiting paperwork.