Changing jobs, breaking contract

If I have find a better position than my current one and break my contract, do i have to pay the break contract fee in the contract in addition to the 10 days notice?

I have heard that the CLA says it’s illegal but then called that 1 800 foreigner help hotline and they told me if it’s in the contract then i need to pay it but the person telling me this hardly seemed on top of things as they told me they had no idea at first and then started mumbling as he was trying to remember before saying that.

Also, in the process of transferring or adding the other school to your visa or arc, do you need to present the goverment with university transcripts as well as you diploma once again? My current boss never gave my transcripts back. And is another health check required? Many thanks for nay input.

[quote=“fareast”]If I have find a better position than my current one and break my contract, do I have to pay the break contract fee in the contract in addition to the 10 days notice?

I have heard that the CLA says it’s illegal but then called that 1 800 foreigner help hotline and they told me if it’s in the contract then I need to pay it but the person telling me this hardly seemed on top of things as they told me they had no idea at first and then started mumbling as he was trying to remember before saying that.

Also, in the process of transferring or adding the other school to your visa or arc, do you need to present the goverment with university transcripts as well as you diploma once again? My current boss never gave my transcripts back. And is another health check required? Many thanks for nay input.[/quote]

1. What I have always heard (though don’t have first hand knowledge) is that they have to pay you first, then take you to court for the breaking contract fee. Few places would do that.

2. I am not sure about transcripts. I just always turned them in and made sure I got them back.

3. Another health check is usually required. Those are good for 6 months. If it is within that time frame, you can likely pay to get a 2nd copy from the hospital you got the check at. If not, you’ll have to get another one.

hey guys,

just wanted to get some feedback…my contract says nothing about a fee to pay for breaking contract. is there a universal fee set by the government that must be paid to the employer if the employee breaks to contract to find a different job? all they state in my contract is that i give them a one month notice. my biggest fear is that i give them a one month’s notice, continue working, and they dont pay me for the last month of work. what would be the best way to go about this?