Charities for Anti-Discrimination/Foreigners' rights

All I know is Forward Taiwan. Anyone else have some suggestions?

And of course Forward Taiwan’s site is down.

5 Likes

Not trying to poo poo on discrimination against foreigners, and I’ve definitely felt it, but I can think of 100 things more worthy of donation money than foreigners’ rights. Like, I’d rather see the homeless people outside Taipei Main Station looked after more than my banking experience being eased

3 Likes

You know not all foreigners are white English teachers right?

I understand but this is more of an assumption of my situation than anything.

I’m just looking for organisations/charities right now that deal with discrimination and/or foreigners’ rights. It would not fit my situation for things that might be deemed more important by others.

1 Like

I’m not really sure what you are getting at.

I’m not sure why Meishijia thinks human trafficking and all the bullshit caretakers go through doesn’t need caring for.

2 Likes

Okay fair enough, I wasn’t thinking about that

Are there any of those left ?

4 Likes

Thanks!

One Forty

https://one-forty.org/en/

I remember them because they have a colorful print brochure. I don’t know much more than that. I believe their mission is to promote awareness and understanding of the situations of Southeast Asian migrants in Taiwan.

5 Likes

Thanks!

Would love to see some organizations dedicated to foreigners rights.
In my opinion, other matters for natives is family business. I would gladly donate to help fellow foreigners because most natives won’t.

1 Like

Yup the natives do have their own offices to deal with discrimination.

1 Like

I also came across Crossroads before, but it wasn’t clear to me whether somebody needed to be a member there to raise a complaint.

I think there are a fair few aimed at protecting the rights of ASEAN workers (especially on Facebook) — it did occur to me more than once that it’d be nice to have some kind of “coalition” for this stuff because it all seems quite fragmented and largely ineffective, but I also suspect that ASEAN workers have more pressing issues with discrimination than the kinds of things we’ve usually been discussing on Forumosa.

They also do important work on migrant worker education. These include classes on Chinese, technical skills, and business skills. The original idea was to make the migrant worker’s stay in Taiwan more worthwhile so that they can find skilled work or start a business when they return home. The classes on technica skills can also lead to the migrant workers being able to obtain the skills they need to be reclassified as intermediate skilled labor.