Chasing a Vincent Legend in Argentina

Found this story & thought it might be of interest.

[quote]
NCRA members showing their classic bikes
(more photos in the article)

Chasing a Vincent Legend in Argentina
by Brian Day, Issue #63–Winter 2004

Lost in a gritty suburb 30km South of Buenos Aires, I knew we were in trouble when the gates of Eva Peron’s Children’s City flashed by for the third time. I’d traveled 8000 miles searching for a mythical Vincent that remained just out of reach. My vacation was trickling away, and I wondered if this particular “adventure” would end in disappointment.
Two months earlier, I’d spoken with Somer Hooker, a soft-spoken classic bike broker from Tennessee who owns seven Vincents. He was savvy enough to visit Argentina in 1991 when the government lifted its longstanding ban on exporting the muscular English machines as national treasures. He brought back 2 complete Vincents, 3 partial bikes (including a genuine Gray Flash) and six large crates of parts.

Hooker heard about a Vincent twin that was supposedly displayed outdoors as a police monument. Skeptical that such a valuable machine could remain unmolested in public, I was still intrigued, as it could be an important remnant of the Vincent legacy in South America. Somer’s tale stuck in my mind and I thought I might attempt to locate the bike and document its history.

The Vincent-HRD/Argentina connection is well documented in P.C. Vincent’s book “Fifty Years of the Marquee.” (Vincent Publishing Company, 1977) Vincents enjoyed racing success in Argentina, Brazil and even Cuba, winning events like Havana’s National Handicap Road Race of 1948. PCV’s father was Argentine, and PCV himself had dual citizenship in the UK and Argentina. The family owned a large Argentine estancia and part of the Stevenage works capital came from this source. The company enjoyed government contracts and these ties were deep enough so that the very first Series “B” Rapide was shipped directly from Stevenage to the Vincent agent in Buenos Aires.

Hooker said 800 Vincents were exported to Argentina from 1946 to 1950, most being Series “B” Rapides for the Argentine police. Period photos show leather-clad policemen parading their big twins before huge crowds, including Eva Duarte Peron.

Sending bikes to South America makes sense in the context of the UK’s post-war restrictions. British firms got more liberal allotments of scarce raw materials like aluminum and steel if their products were exported, returning money to the cash-starved home country. Export motorcycles kept the factory busy when the home market for big, fast, aristocratic motorcycles faded. In the dreary post-war days of shortages and reconstruction, Argentine exports kept the Vincent works humming."(more story at link)
motorbyte.com/mmm/pages/2004 … ure63b.htm[/quote]

WTF? Why was my post deleted?

Anyway, AS I was SAYING before being so brutally silenced, I believe some of the parts recovered during that 1991 trip ended up in the Black Shadow I currently own (well, that my old man currently owns, although I’ve put far more miles on it than he ever did, the silly old fool. Motorbikes at HIS age, I asks you! And it’ll be MINE one day. Mine. Just you wait.)

TC, that’s interesting, cheers. Talking about Vincent motorbikes and Argentina, have you seen the movie “The Motorcycle Diaries”? I realise you might have qualms about the political stuff but it’s easy to put that aside and enjoy what is a nice road trip movie.

[quote=“sandman”]WTF? Why was my post deleted?[/quote]Wasn’t me. I don’t see why anyone else would have deleted it either, unless by accident.

Are you sure it got posted alright in the first place? I’m finding it very difficult to use the site at the moment. Some things get posted three times, others don’t go through at all.

Yeah…pretty cool story. I might take a gander at theat film for just that reason Joesax.

Sandman - I saw your post showing briefly earlier. But when I tried to click on the thread to read it…POOF…it disappeared. Guess it was the ‘system trouble’ thats been occurring.

Sandy, it wasn’t me either. :idunno:

[quote=“sandman”]"… the Black Shadow I currently own (well, that my old man currently owns, although I’ve put far more miles on it than he ever did, the silly old fool. Motorbikes at HIS age, I asks you! And it’ll be MINE one day. Mine. Just you wait.)[/quote] Did you name it “Red Molly”…I know…thats a Black Lighting…but…close…

“Says James, In my opinion, there’s nothing in this world
Beats a 52 Vincent and a red headed girl.
Now Nortons and Indians and Greeves won’t do,
Ah, they don’t have a soul like a Vincent 52”
Oh he reached for her hand and he slipped her the keys
Said “I’ve got no further use for these.
I see angels on Ariels in leather and chrome,
Swooping down from heaven to carry me home”
And he gave her one last kiss and died
And he gave her his Vincent to ride. "

My friend Jez used to perform that song, “modified to suit Taiwanese tastes” – Kymco substituted for Vincent.
My Shadow’s a '51 – I think. I used to ride an Ariel Square Four, too. Real bikes.

I saw this pretty old gal in the motorcycle museum in Sturgis this summer, notice that the engine fits right up into the frame

and the lack of an underframe, fits like a jigsaw puzzle.

Sandy post some pics of your bike sometime. :smiley: I’d love to see her.

They didn’t nickname it “plumber’s nightmare” for nothing! I got no pics of “mine” yet, but according to the auld yin, it’s practically a concourse restoration. I haven’t even seen it built since it was stripped to parts, boxed and stored in the late '70s. Last time I ever rode it was the Isle of Man TT – vintage bike category. Completed the course unplaced but undamaged and no breakdowns. Not bad, considering.

It’s quite a story, actually. The auld yin’s a fanatical salmon fisherman and was on an unfamiliar beat as somebody’s guest, about 200 miles from where he lives. Met another auld yin on the water and they got to talking. Turns out this other auld yin was a professional Vinnie race wrench in his previous life. Get this. Turns out he still has a full shop, lathe, mill, old Vinnie specs, the lot. Very keen to hear about my auld yin’s boxed never-seen-the-light-of-day-since-the-'70s Shadow that raced at the TT. Get THIS. Turns out he lives not 15 miles from my auld yin. Took them a couple, three years, I believe, but last time I spoke, they’d got it taxed and MOT’ed. He’s been out on the road on it a few times but taking it very very easy. Been offered some real money for it, too, from a couple of museums. Can’t remember where, though. Maybe Donnington? A famous one, anyway. I do hope he does the manly thing and gives it to me.