ChatGpt 4o - new best menu translator

Probably most of you who can’t read Chinese use Google translate to translate food menus.

Chatgpt has new paid version gpt4o, all you need is upload a picture of menu and in seconds it will give translation with description of each dish. Description that’s not written in menu. This is game changer for me. Especially when menu doesn’t have pictures of food.

Four-Person Set Menu

Appetizer:

• 胡麻醬嫩雞胸 + 林家莊老菜瓜
    • Sesame Sauce Tender Chicken Breast + Lin’s Preserved Cucumber: Sliced chicken breast dressed with a rich, nutty sesame sauce, served with crunchy, tangy preserved cucumber slices.

Main Courses:

• 道道真心
    • Lin’s Preserved Pork Belly + Steamed Egg with Preserved Pork + Cucumber with Garlic: A trio dish featuring savory preserved pork belly, a smooth steamed egg custard infused with bits of preserved pork, and refreshing cucumber with a hint of garlic.
  • 宜蘭龍鳳腿
    • Yilan Dragon Phoenix Roll: A traditional dish from Yilan, combining minced meat (usually pork and fish) wrapped in a bean curd skin, then fried until crispy.
  • 三杯中卷
    • Three-Cup Squid: Squid stir-fried with a flavorful mix of soy sauce, rice wine, and sesame oil, typically cooked with garlic, ginger, and basil.
  • 金沙鱈魚片
    • Golden Sands Cod Fillet: Cod fillet cooked with salted egg yolk, giving it a rich, slightly grainy coating that resembles golden sand.
  • 季節時蔬
    • Seasonal Vegetables: A selection of fresh vegetables available in the season, stir-fried or sautéed to retain their crispness and natural flavors.
  • 烏魚子炒飯
    • Mullet Roe Fried Rice: Fried rice enhanced with the unique, briny flavor of mullet roe, mixed with vegetables and possibly egg.
  • 剝皮辣椒雞湯
    • Skinless Chili Pepper Chicken Soup: A comforting chicken soup flavored with mildly spicy and aromatic skinless chili peppers.

Price: NT$ 3,699 + 10% service charge

Six-Person Set Menu

Appetizer:

• 胡麻醬嫩雞胸 + 林家莊老菜瓜
    • Sesame Sauce Tender Chicken Breast + Lin’s Preserved Cucumber: Sliced chicken breast dressed with a rich, nutty sesame sauce, served with crunchy, tangy preserved cucumber slices.

Main Courses:

• 道道真心
    • Lin’s Preserved Pork Belly + Steamed Egg with Preserved Pork + Cucumber with Garlic: A trio dish featuring savory preserved pork belly, a smooth steamed egg custard infused with bits of preserved pork, and refreshing cucumber with a hint of garlic.
  • 宜蘭龍鳳腿
    • Yilan Dragon Phoenix Roll: A traditional dish from Yilan, combining minced meat (usually pork and fish) wrapped in a bean curd skin, then fried until crispy.
  • 白斬雞 (半隻)
    • Poached Chicken (Half): Half a chicken poached until tender, typically served with a light soy-based dipping sauce and garnished with scallions and ginger.
  • 樹子蒸魚片
    • Steamed Fish Fillet with Pickled Caper: Delicate fish fillets steamed with pickled capers, adding a tangy, slightly sour flavor to the dish.
  • 季節時蔬
    • Seasonal Vegetables: A selection of fresh vegetables available in the season, stir-fried or sautéed to retain their crispness and natural flavors.
  • 古味麻油雞
    • Traditional Sesame Oil Chicken: Chicken cooked with sesame oil and ginger, often in a warming broth, known for its aromatic and slightly nutty flavor.
  • 黑蒜剝皮雞湯
    • Black Garlic Chicken Soup: A hearty chicken soup flavored with black garlic, which adds a sweet, umami-rich depth to the broth.

Price: NT$ 4,888 + 10% service charge

3 Likes

Looks like a great alternative to Google Translate which often translates menu items too literally!

Are those description actually accurate, though? I could imagine that GPT will just hallucinate those. And in the example, it seems to make quite some things up:

Could as well end up being boiled cabbage, I guess :thinking:

2 Likes

ChatGPT yas no knowledge of your location yet, so it’s just bullshitting you a description that sounds appealing, without taking into account if the restaurant you are sitting in has a Michelin-awarded chef or washes its dirty dishes on the river.

Also, from the demos, this ChatGPT 4o is trying to sound very playful, pleasing and human, that’s a red flag for me :red_square:
You can see the demonstrators talking over and stopping ChatGPT.

They could try to be truthful, concise and present you with its sources when asked instead, but that’s not how ChatGPT is becoming nor how it works.
Also AI should not try to sound human. It should noticeably sound non-human.

They are really still going in the wrong direction in my opinion.

1 Like

That’s good example of AI hallucinating. But I’m hallucinating even more when I try to read menu with Google translate.

1 Like

ChatGPT 4o is going to be more brain-dead than the regular ChatGPT, but reportedly it will shut up if you interrrupt it. Maybe we can use it for some interactive language practice?

Yes it’s good for language practice. Can interrupt it in voice mode but need to tap on screen.

1 Like

The problem is gpt doesn’t actually understand anything. They output whatever data they’re trained on. It emulates what the majority sounds like essentially.

It also hallucinates, and if you don’t know any better, you won’t know where it hallucinates. So it would translate a menu and it will sound pleasing, but it may be wrong. For menu it won’t matter but if you’re translating something important, you can’t trust gpt at all.

At least Google translate will sound literal and you can fix what it messed up.