Chatterbox

Is there software called Chatterbox connected to the Segue site? It mysteriously appeared on my computer (as do many things, I’m a bit of a retard when it comes to computers). I noticed that it appeared on my computer on September 27, the same day I joined Segue.
Should I uninstall this thing or keep it?
I can’t even manage to open it to check it out.
What’s it doing?
Help.

Check your cookies for a related cookie.

I’ve been a Segue member since before it was Segue and don’t have a copy of Chatterbox on my machine (Mac, OS X).

Whatever it is I’d guess it’s not necessary for you to take part here.

Here’s what it might be: chatterbox.singlescrowd.com/index.jsp

Then again, it may be some Internet Explorer/Windoze-specific garbage. There’s an endless stream of that crap lurking, waiting to attach itself to the unwary user.

[quote=“roc”]…it may be some Internet Explorer/Windoze-specific garbage. There’s an endless stream of that crap lurking, waiting to attach itself to the unwary user.[/quote]Too right, man! I have here a list of over 700 kinds of adware, or spyware (but Chatterbox isn’t one of them.) There are lots of sneaky programs that try to trick you into installing them - Some of the more common ones are Bonzi Buddy, Gator and Comet Cursor. You really don’t want this junk on your computer. I strongly recommend a free program called Ad-Aware for scanning for and removing adware from your PC. Get it from http://www.lavasoft.de/. An upgrade to Ad-Aware Plus looks like a good idea, because it blocks the adware from installing itself in the first place. It’s not free, though.

Roc doesn’t have to worry about this, because he insists on using Apple Mac computers. I guess most spyware programs are MS-Windows specific.

Your use of the word “insists” here seems rather negative, as if to characterize roc as stubborn. Don’t know if it was intended or not, but it could be interpreted as subtle Mac-bashing.

I continue without inferring anything on Juba’s part …

Macs are like all other technologies. Use it if it works for you (practicality) or at least fits your lifestyle image (maketing sex appeal). I’ve used Mac OS for 13 years now and continue to buy for both reasons.

For those who “insist” on using Windows, perhaps it gets the job done for them, or perphas they identify with a Microsoft lifestyle image.

What I regret are users of any particular platform preaching their computing dogma in abosolute terms as if it is a religion. :unamused: … Mac supporters huddling in their exclusive cult, Windows supporters acting arrogant (like Microsoft) and Unix/Linux uers thinking that the world would be a much nicer place if we were all friends with ones and zeros.

Your use of the word “insists” here seems rather negative, as if to characterize roc as stubborn. Don’t know if it was intended or not, but it could be interpreted as subtle Mac-bashing.[/quote]
That certainly wasn’t my intention. I meant “insists” as in “he always insists on the best.” I myself haven’t used Macs enough to know what advantages the Mac Operating System does or does not have - except that clearly the majority of viruses are designed to infect machines running Microsoft software, so using a Mac means less virus worries. I have been stuck with MS-DOS and Windows so far.

Well, I’m certainly stubborn and have spewed more than my fair share of Mac bigotry. However, it’s good to see “cats and dogs” getting along so well on this enlightened forum.

(Can this flaccidly polite banter. PCs sck dnky shwantz in h*ll! Ha! Ha! I am virus free and NEVER crash! Ha! Ha! No vast scum-bag conspiracy stalks my online machinations. I am free! Free, do you HEAR ME! Buh-wa-ha-ha-ha-ha!)

In reality, it’s just as Juba says – it’s a matter of preference (If you can call “choosing” to be Bill Gates’ b*tch a choice. Squeal like a pig, boy). There’s really no sense in fighting or pointless digression (in a world that rightly acknowledges Cupertino "

Well, I see it this way.

Taiwan is PC country, the best deals can be made buying a “windows” PC.

But … if I could (money) I’d buy a big Mac. (not the burger)