Chavez goes off on Bush @ U.N

foxnews.com/story/0,2933,214709,00.html

Thought this was entertaining at least. Not that Chavez said anything new, but I was surprised that he actually got a considerable amount of applause.

I haven’t seen such childish rudeness since [EDIT: name deleted]'s posts in the IP forum before I put the slimeball on Ignore. What a pathetic display. Now, I actually agree with Chavez that Bush is the devil incarnate, but to say so in his speech at the UN? :loco: :laughing:

When you’re on top you are always an easy target. I thought Bolton made a nice remark after the speech saying something to the effect of “It’s cool, he has the right to get up there and share is opinion. Too bad he doesn’t allow the people of Venezuela the basic right of freedom of speech to be able to do the same.” Of course, who cares about little things like that when you’re bashing the most powerful man in the world in the most overrated venue on the planet.

Condy says Chavez’s speech was “unbecoming of a head of state.”

Clearly, the world needs a more exclusive club.

“The devil came here yesterday,” Chavez said, making the sign of the cross as he referred to Mr. Bush’s address on Tuesday. “He came here talking as if he were the owner of the world.”

Standing at the podium, Mr. Chavez quipped that a day after Bush’s appearance: “In this very spot it smells like sulfur still.” Chavez held up a book by Noam Chomsky, “Hegemony or Survival: America’s Quest for Global Dominance,” and recommended it to everyone in the General Assembly.

[quote] PRESIDENT CHAVEZ: Madame President, excellencies, heads of state, heads of government, high representatives of the governments of the world, good morning to all of you.

First of all, I would like to invite you very respectfully, to those who have not read this book, to read it – Noam Chomsky, one of the most prestigious American and world intellectuals. Noam Chomsky, and this is one of his most recent books: “Hegemony or Survival.” “Hegemony or Survival: The Imperialist Strategy of the United States.” It’s an excellent book to help us understand what has been happening in the world throughout the 20th century and what’s happening now, and the greatest threat looming over our planet, the hegemonic pretentious of American empire. Our placing of risk, the very survival of the human species, we continue to warn about this danger, and we appeal to the people of the United States and the world to halt this threat, which is like a sword hanging over our heads.[/quote]

I love it!

Me too, because it shows what a terrific joke the UN has become even to the layman passerby.

:bravo: :bravo:

If you think the UN is a joke, its only because the US doesn’t actually pay its dues or even want an international forum where countries can discuss their differences in a civilized manner, and then sends a certified A-1 douche-bag like Bolton to stink the place up with speeches that are little more than farting.

english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/ … 1FCDC4.htm

Forumosans who would like to educate themselves with this recommended book can download the audiobook version on eMule.

So how much does the US owe the UN? Years and years or just one or two?

Also, how much of the UN funding is wasted on bureaucracy? Careful here I used to be an intern.

Finally, why is it that the cost of all the peacekeeping missions and aid for tsunamis courtesy of the US navy and air force are not tallied into this as well?

Anyone who wants to read Chomsky’s book is more than welcome to do so, but… I find his writing “cleverly academic” and sweepingly one-sided but hey get excited, go march, have a doobie, meet some new friends. If carrying his books around makes anyone “seem” intellectual so be it. Ironically, the Noam Chomsky book-carrying brigade are usually sweepingly dismissive of the Prada and Gucci crowd. Ironic isn’t it?

Incorrect sport. Why not list the reasons why the US hasn’t paid pass dues? That may shed some light on the subject. And I doubt that the US’s writing a check would bring about much needed change.

For example: Who IS on the UN human Rights council these days? ohchr.org/english/bodies/hrc … groups.htm

And this to further my example:[quote]
Perhaps no institution illustrates this more than the U.N. Commission on Human Rights (CHR). As the premier human rights body in the U.N. system, the CHR is supposed to hold “public meetings to review the human rights performance of States, to adopt new standards and to promote human rights around the world.”[2] Sadly, the CHR has devolved into a feckless organization that human rights abusers use to block criticism or action to promote human rights. Even Secretary-General Kofi Annan has acknowledged, “We have reached a point at which the commission’s declining credibility has cast a shadow on the reputa­tion of the United Nations system.”[3][/quote]

heritage.org/Research/Intern … bg1910.cfm

My personal problem with the UN is that it is a corrupt, inept and toothless organization that is more concerned with giving “face” to crackpots than solving real problems.

And if you think Chavez’s roast of Bush was civilized, what then would be an uncivilized discussion?

You love a fat old guy acting like a 12 year old brat on the world stage? I question you sincerity of disliking the current US Administration (or possible your intelligence) because every time this guy gets up and acts like a delinquent ass he only weakens his anti-American position, his country and his people. Do you really think there going to want this clown’s government represented on the Security Council? I think Guatemala should send him a fruit basket after that act.

[quote=“fred smith”]

Anyone who wants to read Chomsky’s book is more than welcome to do so, but… I find his writing “cleverly academic” and sweepingly one-sided… [/quote]

Funny. I could say the same about a certain poster’s arguments in IP. :wink:

US$1.3bn. The US has been witholding dues since the Reagan era. As to whether this is justified or not, that is an entirely different matter.

Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez is once again being dismissed as “anti-American” by the mainstream media in this country for daring to say what many of us know is true: that our government’s policies throughout the world are more about control of resources than fighting terrorism.

Chavez is not “anti-American.” He is anti-George Bush. He is anti-U.S. government policies. So are millions of others (myself included), who have been marching and speaking out against those same policies since Bush first took office in 2000.

He said that our government was already supporting coup attempts to overthrow him, which comes as news to no one who knows anything about the history of U.S. involvement in Latin America.

In his 23-minute speech, which received thunderous applause from the almost 200 delegates present, Chavez made it clear that he was talking about the U.S. government and not the American people. In fact, Chavez credited the American people with wanting peace in the world: “If we walk in the streets of the Bronx, if we walk around New York, Washington, San Diego, in any city, San Antonio, San Francisco, and we ask individuals, the citizens of the United States, what does this country want? Does it want peace? They’ll say yes. But the government doesn’t want peace. The government of the United States doesn’t want peace.”

How is that anti-American?

[quote=“Toe Tag”]Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez is once again being dismissed as “anti-American” by the mainstream media in this country for daring to say what many of us know is true: that our government’s policies throughout the world are more about control of resources than fighting terrorism.

Chavez is not “anti-American.” He is anti-George Bush. He is anti-U.S. government policies. So are millions of others (myself included), who have been marching and speaking out against those same policies since Bush first took office in 2000.

He said that our government was already supporting coup attempts to overthrow him, which comes as news to no one who knows anything about the history of U.S. involvement in Latin America.

In his 23-minute speech, which received thunderous applause from the almost 200 delegates present, Chavez made it clear that he was talking about the U.S. government and not the American people. In fact, Chavez credited the American people with wanting peace in the world: “If we walk in the streets of the Bronx, if we walk around New York, Washington, San Diego, in any city, San Antonio, San Francisco, and we ask individuals, the citizens of the United States, what does this country want? Does it want peace? They’ll say yes. But the government doesn’t want peace. The government of the United States doesn’t want peace.”

How is that anti-American?[/quote]

Indeed.

And I’m quite sure a lot of Chavez’s actions (like visiting Castro And Ahmadinejad) are things he does just to make steam come out of Bush’s ears.

I’d blame the translator. Probably a first year novice trained by a mail order language tapes.