Cheap bourbon so I think

I kind of get “champagne” as there’s a distinct style associated with the region, but “California Bordeaux” would be pretty ridiculous.

:roll:
Pretty sure you mean there’s bourbon whiskey, sour mash whiskey, rye whiskey, Scotch whiskey, and Irish whisky (yes, that one’s whisky). There’s even a Welsh whiskey.
Your Canadian Mist is most unequivocally a rye/Canadian whiskey, not bourbon.

And the whole Kentucky thing is like 95% self-promoting hoohah, but, whatever.

California sparkling wines are a great bargain, unless you know a lot more about champagne vintages than I do (and that may not be difficult).

Meritage, on the other hand, is ridiculously overpriced. In fact, last I checked the whole meritage scheme was close to collapse in California.

I’ve never been a California wine fan myself, though I’m sure there are some good ones. Chile/Argentina is more my thing. I don’t know anything about champagne.

1 Like

I like those, too. If you get a chance you should check out Washington and Oregon wines. There are a handful of Washington wines that are really good imo.

1 Like

There is a lot of California made (as well New Mexican which I had 3 weeks ago and good)labeled Champagne in the States. It is interesting that the French do not go after the Americans on this, if it was Taiwan High Mountain Champagne the French would complain, as they have in New Zealand.

1 Like

Oh yeah, there is a really good New Mexico sparkler, I forget the name. Great price, too.

Gruet. Really good stuff at a very good price.

I am also very surprised the French let Korbel get away with using the name champagne. No idea how they pulled that off, or any other American winery either.

Yes (Korbel Brut California Champagne) , would not say it’s the best but cheap(er) https://www.samsclub.com/sams/korbel-brut-750ml/prod1340941.ip
[/quote]

Terroir is important. It’s not snobby, just accurate.

Eh, not always. There are Kentucky bourbon brands that own their own distillery. That’s a big investment that’s not hoohah. Some of the distilleries are real old, too.

Most American whiskeys today are distributed by companies that do not own their own distillery. Most deal with Midwest Grain Products in Indiana, a humongous distillery of whiskey, vodka, gin, tequila, rum, you name it. You tell MGP what you want in a mash bill, they cook/distill/deliver the mash product, you barrel/house/bottle the product, and the distribution is also on you.

All Bulleit bourbons and ryes were distilled at MGP, for example. Tito’s Vodka, same deal. That’s why Kentucky bourbons distilled in Kentucky and Tennessee whiskeys are distinct. The ones that do not contract with MGP, that is.

1 Like

The cheapest way to get drunk I’ve seen so far is the 2L I think it was bottle of vodka at costco for 500 odd ntd.
Not sure that beats a goon bag though

Was the vodka in a plastic bottle?
Because otherwise, you know, you’re paying too much, man

Cheapest in Taiwan, is a strong rice wine. Goon bag (the Aussie/NZ wine in box) has less power per dollar. image

But is that stuff even meant for human consumption?

Pffft. meant, not meant…semantics

Hell, you can buy Kaoliang 58 at the Sevvy :crazy_face:

For some people yes a nice drink, for me prefer the common usage (in cooking)

Labeled sparkling wine

Kaoliang is only good for running tanks
Horrid stuff

2 Likes

Sacrilege!

An uncle was a tank commander in kinmen and he told me the stuff made the tanks run better…he was probably pulling my leg.

No doubt made the crew run better
But honestly not sure the stuff should be drunk
maybe originally to be used as battlefield disinfectant.

1 Like