Cheap hotels approx 400NTD

Hello,

I've done some research but couldn't find much, let alone anything current. I am flying to Taipei, Taiwan in about 2 weeks. So I'm just looking for a hotel(NOT hostel) where I can stay for a few days before I find something more permanent. Private room/bathroom. Most of the hotels I have found on the web are out of my price range. My price range is about 400NTD a night, give or take. Would be nice if the hotel wasn't too far from everything. If there are some hotels that you could suggest that would be great. Your help is much appreciated.

Hostel. Dorm bed. Only option at that price range.

Agree. 400 nt would be low enough to sleep on some temple’s floor, let alone a hotel.

Hostel shared room in Taipei. Cheapest hotels go for 1200 nt budget/business types.

You may want to check this thread:-

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtop … 803a58efcd

I also found that the best comprehensive list of Taipei hotels (not hostels) is at www.taipeitravel.net

No private rooms for NT$400 a night though.

thanks for the help guys. Honestly i’d even consider cheap love hotels at this point. The reason why I’d like my own private room is because I’m not going there with just a backpack, i’ll have some luggage too, so it’s a security thing. I don’t want to have to stay at the hostel guarding my stuff the whole time. Do hostels have places where you can safely lock up your luggage, backpack etc…?

How about couch surfing or airbnb? That could be safer/cheaper.

Thanks Icon. Airbnb looks interesting. So it’s basically just people renting out there rooms huh? Are there any couch surfing sites you’d recommend? I guess if worse comes to worse I could go with one of those.
Aside from that, any idea about cheap love hotels?
I’ll peruse airbnb in the meantime!

The only hotel within that budget would be a Hans Brinker Hotel…not sure if one in Taipei?.

[quote=“40WPM”]Thanks Icon. Airbnb looks interesting. So it’s basically just people renting out there rooms huh? Are there any couch surfing sites you’d recommend? I guess if worse comes to worse I could go with one of those.
Aside from that, any idea about cheap love hotels?
I’ll peruse airbnb in the meantime![/quote]

Dunno what kind of love motels you have been to, but I have been told that the ones here are mostly upclass, cheapest 800 nts for “rest” -ehem, hourly rate. The decorations are very elaborate, some even have Hello Kitty themes. Moreover, they include sophisticated gadgets as anti-GPS blocking devices or choose your own sound effect in case you get a phone call, so cheap they are not. Love motel would be an option in Taichung, maybe, on vacation, as you get free parking space.

Haven’t really been to any love hotels but having been living in Vietnam for almost two years I’m used to a lower standard of living so maybe an average regular hotel here might be what a lower end love hotel or love motel might be in Taiwan, I’m not sure.
So love motels are cheaper there than the typical love hotel?

Holo Family Hostel across from Main Station has a single, shared bath for NT$890. Some hotels in Ximending will be under NT$1000 mid-week.

Yes, hostels usually have lockers. That’s something you can easily check on their website. There are also lockers a main station.

Holo is also a generally good hostel. Or try Flip Flop (near Main Station) or Eight Elephants near Taipower MRT.

[quote=“40WPM”]Haven’t really been to any love hotels but having been living in Vietnam for almost two years I’m used to a lower standard of living so maybe an average regular hotel here might be what a lower end love hotel or love motel might be in Taiwan, I’m not sure.
So love motels are cheaper there than the typical love hotel?[/quote]

:roflmao: OK, now I see the problem. Taipei is among the 25 most expensive cities in the world. Love motel/hotel, the ones that charge by night/hour rate… tourist/business hotels… all expensive, especially if compared to Vietnam.

So share room or get out of Taipei… way out of the city. How about staying with Buddhist monks?

yeah, but that’s a silly thing to say to a tourist. You can get a nice private room for NT1000-1500, a good meal (not a night market snack) for NT200-300, you can take the MRT everywhere and the sights are usually free or cost a pittance.

Taipei is not expensive when you consider overall costs. It’s not a super budget destination (but where is these days) but it is incredibly good value at the mid-range.

That’s it Icon, I was this close to handing over my Supernatural memorabilia!
I think i’ll be fine over there once I can find a solid place to stay, meaning a tiny little apartment, like what I’m used to now.
Not expecting it to be super cheap, just not Japan expensive! I think it’ll be a good compromise for 3 months.
Anyway, well i think I have some good options to play around with for now. Thanks again guys.

Again, my recommendation: if short on funds, look for a place in the outer skirts of Taipei, not Taipei central. You might find something “livable” in Ximending or even Kuting area, but really tight. And we’ll still be talking 15K up. You can find 8K studios, with AC, Internet, fridge, maybe even a kitchenette, as long as to you further down the MRT lines, like Neihu, Hongshulin, Yonghe/Zhonghe or even Xindian. Your lungs will be grateful.

Actually, since the yen bust, some things in Taiwan got even more expensive than Japan.

thanks. Some things may be more expensive than Japan but if everything was the same price I would definitely be going to Japan! Loved it last time I was there.

Oh Japan rules. Taiwan is more laid back, and “easier”. BTW, how’s your Chinese? Better deals are always in the Chinese pages, if it is in English, you pay premium.

Yep. It’ll be interesting to compare the differences between Taiwan and Japan. I don’t know much Chinese right now. Picking up Vietnamese has been tough enough! So I do have some experience with tonal languages. I’ll have to get on that soon.

What’s a good love hotel with “hourly” rates?. I’m looking to “rest” uhrm uhrm