Cheap Mountain Dew and other rare items

Recently, I discovered some [color=blue]CHEAP GROCERIES [/color]at the Filipino grocery stores on Zhongshan N. Road (close to Yuanshan MRT)

For example, they sell [color=green]Mountain Dew[/color], [color=brown]Mug Root Beer[/color], and other sodas for NT$18 a can. (which is the price of a Coke at 7-11) You can buy the same stuff at an import store in Tianmu, but you’ll pay at least $30 for one can.

You can also buy great-tasting [color=orange]pineapple-flavored [/color]diet sodas called “Cali 10” at the stores for NT$20/ can. I drank them daily when I vacationed in the Philippines and was thrilled to find them in Taipei when I returned!

Other cheap buys:

—Cheez Whiz
—all sorts of canned meats (if you’re into canned meats…)
—pasta sauces
—CANDY!
—great juices
—Filipino sauces/ flavorings/ condiments

And I’ve even seen [color=red]Victoria’s Secret [/color]lotions there! I haven’t seen those anywhere else in Taiwan.

There are at least 3 Filipino grocery stores on Zhongshan N. Road all within a block or two from each other…the first one is about a 5-10 minute walk from the art museum.

Yee-Haw! Is the Dew the American caffenated stuff?

It’s the real deal.

Full of caffeine, sugar, and yellow food coloring.

Drink up!

Mug Root Beer? Yahoo, summertime root beer floats that won’t send me to the poor house! Thanks so much for the tip. I’ve seen the stores, but have never gone in. Won’t make that mistake again.

I think some of those stores there might be closed during normal business hours. Any idea what time they are open? I’m thinking of strolling by them myself in the near future.

I’ve been to the stores at noon and at night…they’ve always been open when I’ve been there, so I’d recommed going in the afternoon or early evening to play it safe. I’ve never been there in the morning.

I’m going to write down the names of the stores next time I’m there so I can give better directions. I just refer to them as the “Filipino stores,” but they do have names.

There are some so called “Filipino Stores” on a side street that are closed every time I’ve been there. But I took a little walk around the corner along Zhongshan North Road, and discovered EEC. EEC is a combination of express mail to the Philippines along with a Mart selling goods from the Philippines including magazines, candy, and drinks, among them Mountain Dew. And the best part is that it’s open during normail business hours.

EEC-Elite Mart
No. 39, Zhongshan North Road Section 3
Taipei

02 2596 2889

Don’t bother trying to speak to the shop clerks in Chinese - apparently they don’t know any. But they can speak English.

[quote=“twocs”]EEC-Elite Mart
No. 39, Zhongshan North Road Section 3
Taipei[/quote]

I finally went there.
It was small, but full of great, cheap import items.
Well worth the trip.
I stocked up on Mountain Dew, A&W Rootbeer, Phillipino Sun Chips, Hot & Spicy banana ketchup, and Cheez Whiz and there’s lots of other great stuff there too.

I didn’t check out any of the other places around it, but I will next time.

Another thing I found there recently was a cheap bag of graham cracker crumbs. (for pudding pies and things that need a graham cracker crust).

I think it was about NT$30 for the whole bag…which is very cheap, as graham crackers cost an arm and a leg in Tianmu!

[quote=“Gym Rat”]Another thing I found there recently was a cheap bag of graham cracker crumbs. (for pudding pies and things that need a graham cracker crust).

I think it was about NT$30 for the whole bag…which is very cheap, as graham crackers cost an arm and a leg in Tianmu![/quote]

I have found that the “Digestive” brand crackers in the red round package at almost all grocery stores are the same as graham crackers. They are thicker and round but crush up the same to make pie crusts. Cheap too.

[quote=“Gym Rat”]It’s the real deal.

Full of caffeine, sugar, and yellow food coloring.

Drink up![/quote]

16 years ago, Mountain Dew was available at any convenience store here in Taiwan. It was called 山果露. Another example of something popular and successful suddenly disappearing from Taiwan’s market for no apparent reason (like Wendy’s and Hardee’s Hamburgers).

It was 14 years ago that Mountain Dew was available island wide.
Unfortunately, caffeine was not included in the recipe.
It tasted good, but didn’t get you high.
Peace, Mark
Crazy cola companies!

Good point. I often use digestive crackers as well, except that they’re laden with fat and calories. They look awfully healthy and taste pretty “healthy,” but one look at the nutrition label and the ingredients proves otherwise. If I remember correctly, eight digestive crackers is about 800 calories. I’d rather eat a Big Mac.

A pet peeve of mine is that so-called “healthy” products here are anything but that. Most of the “healthy” snacks list sugar and partially hydrogenated vegetable oil among the top 3 ingredients.

And don’t get me started on the sugary teas and drinks that are supposedly “good for you…”

I still eat packaged snacks in moderation, but the incorrect labeling irks me.

On another note, I’ve heard that Costco is now selling huge 5-lb. bags of gummi worms. I wonder if they’ll sell, or if they’ll have a short shelf life (like the cottage cheese that I used to find there).[quote][/quote]

I just had to speak up and say that the Mountain Dew you get at the Philipino store is not the same. My Supplier for E-Store ran out so I got a case from them. Tried one and No Sir… not the same. It’s kind of like the Wendy’s use to be here in Asia… Close but no Cigar…

Had to put that in cause as a Dew fan I was always dissappointed with what I got here before and didn’t know why… So just make a note of it… But it is a great price… Just a bit more syrup I feel.

I’d like to add that the same stores can be found in Taoyuan as well. If you leave the train station (front) and walk straight up Zhongzheng Rd., just past the Tonglin train station there’s an alley where they street vendors sell juice and street meat. At the end of the alley are a few Pinoy stores, including EEC. They stock Mt. Dew there as well.

I’ll agree with Proto_tw that there is a taste difference, but I think throw in an ice cube or two and the taste will about average out. It’s pretty close, and close enough for me. I think their water to syrup ratio is the thing that’s off.

Is the Mountain Dew made in the Philippines?

I don’t actually drink it…I just buy it for others.

Anyway, the Mug Root Beer tastes pretty authentic!

On another note, I found something in Taiwan last week that made me incredibly happy----[color=orange]PEANUT BUTTER M&M’S[/color]!

I’ve never seen them before now, not even in the import stores.

Right now, you can buy a big bag of the “Fun Size” packs of peanut butter M&M’s at Carrefour for a little over NT$100.

They’re the real deal. And I think that they’re only around through Halloween, since they’re orange and black and “holiday-related.” So buy them now before they disappear!

I got mine at the DaZhi Carrefour…across from the Mirimar.

Also, Costco is selling big boxes of Starburst candy.

Just in time for Halloween!

Yeah it is.
I think it kinda tastes like CC Lemon actually.
It’s different, but I like it.

I get my Vienna Sausages (made in the PI) in the Filipino shops…tastes just like those I had when I was a kid. None of that modern turkey and chicken bullshit for me.

Found these at Jason’s today.
IMG_20190302_183026 IMG_20190302_183032 IMG_20190302_183251 IMG_20190302_183035