Cheap place to stay in Kending

Last time I tried to rent a scooter in Kending without a license they only really wanted to rent me an electric scooter – that was Kending proper, though.

Camping is a new thing these days. People avoid staying in hotels and prefer camping sites to experience something new and adventurous. So do check out some safe and legal camping sites.

Thank you all for your useful informations ^^
Idecided to split my time in Kenting, I will stay some nights in the surf shack hostel and some others in a random hostel in Kenting.

I have one last question, it would be very nice if someone could reply quickly because I leave tomorrow.
I would like to know the most confortable bus company from Taipei to Kenting and how many buses leave from the main station. Would that be ok if I was at the station around 7:00 am ? How much would that be ?

Thanks a lot

[quote=“yuki60”]Thank you all for your useful informations ^^
Idecided to split my time in Kending, I will stay some nights in the surf shack hostel and some others in a random hostel in Kending.

I have one last question, it would be very nice if someone could reply quickly because I leave tomorrow.
I would like to know the most confortable bus company from Taipei to Kending and how many buses leave from the main station. Would that be ok if I was at the station around 7:00 am ? How much would that be ?

Thanks a lot[/quote]

It has been a while since I went from here to Kenting by bus. At least three years in fact. I remember I often used to get the Alloha bus to Kaohsiung and then change though as it was very comfortable. All in all around 1,500NT two ways.

The bus drivers on the final Kenting stretch are absolutelyf’inginsane though. Each time I go there, I manage to clock one at 120kms plus on the final dual-carriageway stretch. The fastest I had one at was 130kph.

Have a good look at the drivers as you are contemplating getting on one of those buses. They are often exhausted. Don’t forget your video camera either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yyr3DcOXio

take the HSR to Ktown and then a 2 hours bus. Avoid the bus on the freeway to ktown if you can. It can be 4 hours of a HAIRY COMPUTER GAME, except YOU CAN DIE.

No, don’t take a bus. There are shared taxis now for NT400-500. Better odds at the Ktown train station, though, not the HSR. HSR is good if you’ve arranged transport with your hotel but not if you just show up.

I took the aloha bus this morning and was happy about the quality of the seats with the TV and very confortable. Iy was a good ride. The second one however between Kaohsiung and Kenting…those drivers are crazy.

I decided to stay at the surf shack the hole week because I successfully managed with some help to rent a scooter so I don’t need to worry anymore about the transportation ^^
I already love riding it, it’s very convenient.

Anyway, thank you all, I’m heading to a very good week in Kenting now

Hi guys,

So I’m going to Kenting again but at the same time of the spring festival. One of my teacher just said that if we go there on that date, we need to book a hotel right now.
So I was wondering if even the little B&B in Kentin and on Dawan street were also crowded at that time or if I can just go there and find a room right away ?

Thank you

You mean Qing Ming Festival on 5 April? April 1-4 is Spring Scream, Taiwan’s biggest music festival etc. I hear that people are expecting it to be a little less attended this year, but there will be well over 100,000 people down on the Hengchun peninsula partying that weekend with Kenting itself a focal point (the actual events are all over the peninsula). It’s probably too late to book a hotel room. You will NOT be able to book a room just showing up once the festival has begun and prices will be sky high. If you go, bring a tent. You’ll need it.

It’s definitely a chance to experience another side of Taiwan and I thought last year’s Spring Scream (springscream.com/) did a great job of showcasing Taiwan’s very much up and coming indie music scene. So if you enjoy that sort thing, you will love this. Be sure you go to the right one (there are several), bring what you need for four days, camp near or on the site, and STAY THERE. There tens of thousands of people milling around aimlessly in the town and transportation is a real problem.

Tommy would think he had died and gone to heaven. Every lamei from Taichung on south who is worth her salt is there in her bikini. It’s quite a spectacle.

If you don’t enjoy this kind of thing, I suggest you steer well clear and take this as an opportunity to visit Taidong and Dulan. You won’t be disappointed.

I think I’ll be hitting up Kenting myself but I think I might be riding solo. I’m coming to visit for two weeks and my wife will be staying home. Her family is in a very residential area of Taichung so not too many non Chinese around. In fact the only place have seen any Westerners was at Sogo. That being said the family is encouraging me to explore the island a little bit and Kenting is on my agenda.

I’ll be going in May and having been in Taichung in May I can more then imagine the weather will be good enough to enjoy the beach. But my questions are more as a white guy who speaks very limited Chinese will I have a hard time getting around? If my brother in law goes I’ll be fine but if he doesn’t I only know a few phrases. Is not speaking Chinese going to be a hinderance if I go to Kenting? I’m thinking mid week as my guess is the rates are cheaper but I’m looking for something where I can get some quick cheap eats but not be far from the beach. I’m looking for under 100 dollars a night US tax included.

The other thing is I’ve heard there are banded sea snakes in Kenting, any of this true? I like to snorkel and fish don’t really bother me but I am terrified of snakes. It’s not really something I should worry about but for some reasons snakes scare the you know what out of me.

You will have no problem finding a place less that US$100 per night.

You won’t have any real problems communication. There are plenty of people who speak English in Kenting.

It will be plenty hot to enjoy the beach in May.

You are unlikely to see a snake in the water.

Kenting town sucks.

Go to Jialeshui instead.

travelpod.com/travel-blog-en … /tpod.html

Kenting is one of those areas were I really wish the Chinese tourists would start flocking to so the infrastructure level can be raised. Anyone who has been to Sanya on Hainan Island and Kenting knows the Chinese are used to a far superior beach resort environment. Kenting doesn’t have as glorious beaches as Sanya but the water is cleaner, the coral is still intact, the surrounding environment is more beautiful, the food potentially could be better, and it’s safe and spit free. :laughing:

There’s no reason they couldn’t be enticed here and leave the east coast alone.

What a great plan! Unfortunately, they like the East Coast. We are really in trouble when the individual tourists start coming in numbers. I’d say we have 18 months left.

I wonder if that’s really true? Its the tour groups – whether local or Chinese – that are the bane. I don’t expect young independent Chinese backpackers to be a whole lot different
from any others. Except maybe Canookislovakistanians – I doubt if the Chinese ones will sew PRC flags on their luggage. :wink:

I wonder if that’s really true? Its the tour groups – whether local or Chinese – that are the bane. I don’t expect young independent Chinese backpackers to be a whole lot different
from any others. Except maybe Canookislovakistanians – I doubt if the Chinese ones will sew PRC flags on their luggage. :wink:[/quote]

I agree. There are something like 50 million domestic tourist visits a year to places around Taiwan. Another million or two Chinese won’t have any impact on that but instead may help a lot of small hotels and restaurants by spreading out their business a bit, which is concentrated on weekends and holidays.

Individual Chinese tourists will ride public transport, rent cars and scooters and maybe bikes.

I just want Taroko National Park to finally ban traffic and have a proper shuttle bus system in place. You know, like they have in national parks in China where most are the tourists are coming from. :unamused:

Do the camping spots in Kenting have showers? Cold is alright since I don’t expect anything more than that.

Can you rent bikes down there? I’m planning on riding mine to Kenting but my girlfriend will be without transportation and that could make things less interesting.

Check out this website, I think it’s still under construction but it’s an English website about the Kenting area.
www.sunnykenting.com