💵 🏞 | Cheap travel destinations in Taiwan

Yup! Taiwan has gotten better. And if it’s not as good as Japan, well where is as good as Japan? :grin:

Guy

1 Like

If you traveled you might know. Airlines like Cebu Pacific offer cheap air fairs and recently an airline was offering return flights to Philippines for around NT$2000.

I’m goin to Bali in October for a diving vacation. I can stay at a resorts there very cheaply.
Can also get a China Airlines flight for NT$15500 return economy.

I like to do normally 40 dives in 12 days of diving.

2 Likes

some good deals, off season in Spain (Islands) in really nice resort hotels. Lots of Japanese also go to Hawaii, lots of flights not a long flight and safe for the USA.

Where I stay in Nagano nice chalet, 3 floors 6 bedrooms for 10 people.
US$6,000 a night. Luckily owned by one of my clients who pays for me to visit Japan and do some work for him there from time to time.

4 Likes

I like the coast south of Taitung, areas north has more Taipei tourists and higher prices.

2 Likes

Some people go camping in the mountains and around some beach areas as well.

1 Like

So what’s the reason for the expensive hotel cost? Seems like Taiwan’s not trying very hard to be a tourist destination…

For someone who knows everything about everything, this has only just dawned on you?

2 Likes

Take day trips - don’t stay overnight. I went to Meinong from Kaohsiung with my NT$399 commuter pass, and it was an excellent day trip! Once there, I walked and rode YouBike, as the first 30 minutes on YouBike is free with the pass. I ended up spending NT$10 for transport that day - it could have been zero had I returned the bike 2 minutes sooner in one of the rides…

If you want to stay overnight, instead of hotels and homestays, try temples and churches for a fraction of the cost.

5 Likes

How does that work?

Do temples rent room? I don’t know any churches that does.

I know once the 1200nt pass comes online I can basically go to Taoyuan/Zhongli and even Yilan.

Anything interesting there?

Yilan is not included in this special fare, which covers Taipei City, New Taipei, Taoyuan, and Keelung.

For a “cheap travel destination” the only reason to go to Taoyuan or Zhongli would be to transfer to some place a lot nicer, say up in Lalashan / Fuxing in the mountains.

Guy

1 Like

Here is an article (and a book) in Chinese with a list of temples that one can stay (The author also mentions some churches in the article):

4 Likes

I looked on google and it lets you go all the way to fulong… which is near yilan.

. . . which is in New Taipei City. Yilan is not included in that pass. I know this is your thread, but please stop posting misinformation. :rant:

Guy

It depends. Had nice hotel in Kaohsiung for 1k twd next to sea. Modern room with big bed. Breakfast was like 600 twd so I skipped it.They offered me upgrade sea view but 1k more is not worth paying considering I was alone.

So 1k twd and get up tl drink morning 7/11 coffee next to sea. Great value

2 Likes

What’s the name of the hotel?

Back in the year 2000 :). You are right though can get some deals depending where and when and only 2ppl rooms are pretty cheap.

1 Like

I’m guessing that @The is referring to Sunset Beach Resort in Kaohsiung, right at Shizuwan.

EDIT: As it turns out, it was “City Suites Kaohsiung” which is not right by the beach but is in close proximity to Pier 2.

Guy

2 Likes

This place looks fabulous but definitely not 1k per night room rate.