đŸ’” 🏞 | Cheap travel destinations in Taiwan

Was wondering what’s a good cheap travel destination in taiwan? I feel like some of the places requiring a long boat ride like green island is so expensive that going outside taiwan seems a better value

How about lodging down south? How much can I expect to pay? I’m hearing horror stories of lodging around popular destinations like sun moon lake costing over 5000 a night
 That seems a ripoff.

Actually with the 1200 pass I’m wondering what’s good in the taoyuan area?

1 Like

There are many areas. It’s just a matter of finding the hotel. It’s easy to get on a train around the country for 600-900. You won’t get Thailand or Philippine prices for housing, but you can find decent rooms for 1200-1800 a night.

Jiaoxi, Taidong, zhiben, hualian, etc.

Another option is xiaoliuqiu

You eat pork? If so, I’d be hard-pressed to think of a cheaper place to eat (with good small eats) than Tainan. Heaps of small temples to visit too.

With the food scene there, I would not recommend this for vegetarians though. :neutral_face:

Guy

1 Like

I’d take a short plane ride to jeju island, you’ll get much better value there and the weather is nicer

Taiwan has become not great value for money when traveling. Everyone from hotels to home stays seems to be raising prices. In kaohsiung there’s still some affordable hotels - I usually stay at kindness hotel or some other cheap ones for 1000-1500NT a night.

1 Like

Plenty of places offer shared bunk rooms for as cheap as NT$400 a night.

I kinda liked Tainan for all the cheap food they have. I haven’t gone there in a while.

1 Like

Xiaoliuqiu can be really expensive for accommodation. The weekends there are $$$.
Lanyu is also crazy these days and the internal flights in Taiwan are now more expensive than flying to the Philippines (unfortunately just Manila is direct I think).

I would recommend taking the Keelung Matsu boat and sleep in the bunks as a cheap holiday but it broke down yesterday and had to be towed. Matsu is a very cool place to visit though.

2 Likes

Drive around in Yilan near 䞉星 and everyone’s idea seems to be converting their farm into a homestay that charges 4k NT a night and of course doesn’t issue 癌焚

Take a cheap highway bus to get there; reserve a cheap place to stay; enjoy the snacks and the change of scenery. Viola, cheap holiday! :grin:

Guy

2 Likes

Nor do they even give you breakfast half the time.

1 Like

I was in Jinlun Beach é‡‘ćŽ™æ”·ç˜, yesterday with visitors from Eu/baltics, they love the warm weather, its 20 in Vilinus so here is like Hawaii to them. CoCo nut plams. Pineapple juice and empty beaches with few gals taking photos and come chat in broken English haha or my Japanese. Not as cheap as Japan or the Batics or as modern, but nice and quiet.

7 Likes

Its scary that Taiwan is more expensive than Japan eh.

3 Likes

The secret to cheaper travel is do it on the weekdays.

5 Likes

How is it that people are charging 4000 a night in taiwan and domestic flights costing more than international ones? Feels like going to Japan is a better value because I can avoid the heat and it’s just a little more expensive.

It seems like you can go to fulong on the 1200 ticket, seems like a good way for day trips to get a break at a beach

1 Like

Jinlun Beach é‡‘ćŽ™æ”·ç˜ has nice hot spring hotels, its cheaper now than the winter. And to Euros they wonder why Taiwanese do not go the water, it was calm yesterday so no worries about rip currents and no rain (I am back in Kaohsuing and has light rain showers).

And its cheaper than Kyushu , Japan where I am from. Tokyo maybe more as is Okinawa now, but most of Japan is cheaper otherwise.

and try some local dishes like fried leaves and others, some decent food for small town, and some nice large homes

and interesting culture

biger homes with space

4 Likes

For equivalent value, it’s been like that since I moved here in the early 2000s, though thankfully better acceptable bargains in accommodation can now be found, if you’re patient enough, on platforms like booking [dot] com.

Guy

1 Like

My wife’s guest house doesn’t. But the local eateries open at 5am so there is that. Good food pretty cheap. Easier to just go there and bring back if guests hungry for breaky

Yes we do get deals by looking around as well, it’s possible. There are some local b&b lists that are handy too. I mean it’s still way cheaper than my ridiculously expensive home country.

2 Likes

Anything is better than those terrible not especially cheap old school hotels, with dirty carpets and cigarette stains all over. No thanks!

Guy

4 Likes

Bad memories!

3 Likes