Check your ADSL speed

OK here is my latest figure… turns out I needed some tweaks but the gain was worth it…

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Satellite TV
Your pictures have made me :smiley:

That you have used a digital camera to photograph your monitor seems so quaint.

You were faced with a problem and overcame it in your own unique way. The method may have been flawed but your logic wasn

Satellite TV,

How can you get an internet connection that’s 67 Mbps? I signed up for 8 Mbps ADSL with Chunghwa Telecom, which is the fastest speed that I can get with ADSL, since I am 1.5 km from the nearest telephone central office. But in actuality, I only get the full 8 Mbps for websites within Taiwan (such as A-net). Every time I try the McAfee speed test, I only get 2 Mbps.

I can get about 2.6 Mbps tops. I suppose that’s pretty good. But I think I’m paying for 3Mbps.

I’m at just over 210kbps. What’s up with my service?

[quote=“Mark Nagel”]Satellite TV,

How can you get an internet connection that’s 67 Mbps? I signed up for 8 Mbps ADSL with Chunghwa (Zhonghua) Telecom, which is the fastest speed that I can get with ADSL, since I am 1.5 km from the nearest telephone central office. But in actuality, I only get the full 8 Mbps for websites within Taiwan (such as A-net). Every time I try the McAfee speed test, I only get 2 Mbps.[/quote]

I regulary get a return of over 5m on this test. But then I’m on a server line which doesnt have many people on it… Living in Alishan helps and the exchange is about 400 metres from my house :smiley: :smiley:

It depends on where the “speed test” server is located. You’ll get different results if its located in Taiwan… or the US… or Europe… or Iceland. As they say, YMMV. Chunghwa has a test that is to one of their servers, and it will give you the full 8000kbps (OK I only got 7500kbps) down and 640kbps up. I don’t have the URL handy but maybe they will give it to you if you call them.

Are you sure that’s not the speed of your cache refreshing!!?

Satellite TV, thanks for the reply. But I still don’t understand how you can get 67 Mbps, since you told me in your PM that your internet connection is via ADSL at 8 Mbps download / 640 Kbps upload. How is it possible to ever access the internet at a speed which is faster than the speed of ADSL that you are signed up for? I mean, 67 Mbps is more than 8 times faster than 8 Mbps!

I’m curious: Which is faster, 8 Mbps ADSL or cable modem (internet via the cable TV line)? What download speed can you usually get with cable modem?

Also, how does the price of cable modem compare with the price of ADSL?

The speed test doesn’t use your cache…

8 mega bits vs 8 mega bytes… vastly different so 8m is 8 megabytes so 66 megabits seems fine to me

Doesn’t anyone think it’s very strange that Satellite TV first said he got a maximum of 2.557 Mbps, and then just a few days later, he said he got 67 Mbps? That’s 26 times as fast!

Well, I found out that really it was a trick! if you open another webpage in the same browser window and then click “back”, you will see an unbelievably high speed. When I tried it myself, it said my speed was 93.75 Mbps!

I didn’t figure this trick out myself. Actually, Andre told me the trick. He posted above that he got a speed of 187.5 Mbps, and then later he admitted to me in a PM that he did this trick in order for it to say his speed was 187.5 Mbps, whereas his real speed is only about 250 Kbps.

Well, sorry Satellite TV and Andre that I exposed the trick. But I think everyone needs to know that the speed you guys have been reporting wasn’t really your actual speed at all.

Most of these speed test sites are toys, which is why you are getting wildly different and sometimes impossible transfer rates. Give this one a try:

dslreports.com/stest

Their speed test servers are in the US, but this’ll be a good way to test both your line speed and how much bandwidth your ISP allows you to other countries. If you’re like me, most of your downloads will be from outside the country, so it really doesn’t matter if you can get full bandwidth across town if your international bandwidth sucks.

Also it will depend when you do the test. Most ISPs here slow down in the evening and on the weekends, so results will be lower then.

Thanks for all the tests people have posted. I just upgraded to the 8mb one and need to test it, ill post results later.

I went from 200kbps to 2Mbps
I did have to pay for it, but it’s worth it. :slight_smile: