Check your tires before your journey

Always a good idea to check your tires before a journey, especially before jumping on the freeway. Observe what happens to this blue truck?

1 Like

ā€¦indeedā€¦gotta love to see a blue truck barrelling along in the left lane of a Freeway! :unamused: ā€¦with those minuscule wheels they put on the blue trucks, Iā€™d limit them to 100km/h and right lane only on freewaysā€¦

As for tiresā€¦Iā€™ve seen my fair share of bald tires mounted on vehicles hereā€¦Then again, many locals prefer the blue flip flops over a pair of sneakers on their feet, same goes for what they put on their carsā€¦

Front tire on my 125CC Yamaha looks and (especially in the rain) feels like itā€™s about time to change. Any idea how much a new tire should cost?

definately change out your tires. I was putting off changing my scooter tires and I had them slide out stopping in a straight line in the rain on lines in the road. Cheap ones are only like 500-600, mid range 700-800, high performance 1000+

Whatā€™s $1000x2 when your life is riding on it? Get good ones.

Thatā€™s all? Iā€™d install speed governors on the things and limit their top speeds to 80 kph. Then, Iā€™d stick red plates on them and keep them off the freeway altogether.

I canā€™t believe you lot are talking about wasting time and hard earned money on tyres! Again, there is no minimum tread limit in Taiwan, so why go replacing things that obviously donā€™t need to be replaced until they explode?!
You can simply do what a woman did to me the other day and save the tread and brake linings by using the side of my scooter as a brake. Just remember to quickly hop back on your own scooter and try to escape before I grab you though, or else theyā€™ll be a wrestling match afterwards.

Note : If you get the most expensive ones, they may not always be suitable for daily driving. Some tires like the bridgestone bt39 for example, have high grip, but only after they are warm. If you dont plan on doing alot of high speed corners, you may not really need the most expensive ones. They also have a shorter lifespan. If you donā€™t ride really hard, I think some mid range rain suited tires would be the best for daily use.

if you donā€™t ride long distances often, paradoxically, the best tire choices are probably the MOST sticky ones you can find, so they get warm and grippy much faster and protect you earlier on in your trip. the hard as steel things that you find on many scooters are far far worse, as they take forever to waqrm up. the problem is compounded by the cooling effect of wet roads. and as the aging any tire sees is partly generated from just sitting around in the sun and the oxygen, theyā€™ll last nearly as long as a crappy hard tire.

I primarily do just daily commute to Chinese class and work, generally donā€™t go above 80.

What about for cars? Does anyone have a suggestion for someone who drives a lot every day at pretty high speeds? Iā€™m into mountain roads(corners) too.

Iā€™d recommend the Michelin Preceda pp2 for a good sport/performance/comfort/value mix. The ones on my car (Impreza) have been on for 50,000km and are about 60% worn. I drive the car pretty hard in corners and they have yet to show signs of a slide. Wet performance is excellent, it actually feels the same as in the dry.

I recently convinced another buddy of mine to put some on his Impreza as well, and heā€™s more than happy with the result.

In the shops, they go for around 5,000$nt each. But if you get them from a seller on Yahoo Taiwan, you can get them for 3,500$nt each. The only pain from using yahoo is that youā€™ll have to call a few sellers before you find the deal you want. (Tip: call the guys that donā€™t advertise a price, they are usually the ones with the lower prices, and they donā€™t want any heat from genuine importers.)

Note: The prices on the second link have changed quite a bit since then. Due to the cheap NT$ and oil prices, prices are a solid 20% more than a few years back. so, youā€™re looking at 14K for 4 tires if you get one of the good sellers on yahoo.

Hereā€™s a linkā€¦

http://www.michelin.com.au/tyres/passengerCar_pilotPreceda.asp

http://www.forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?t=51759&view=previous&sid=49609b2ce4c18e52939a2f9047ba909f

Thanks for the info - they sound a little more expensive than the average tire out there, but Iā€™d pay it for the extra piece of mind. I drive my Mazda 3 pretty hard in the corners too and lately, after only 17K, the stock tires are getting worn in the front and theyā€™ve slid a little lately in tight mountain corners on slick pavement a couple of times at higher speeds. Iā€™m guessing the size is probably the same or about the same and since our driving habits seem to be similar, the tires should work well for me. Iā€™ll look into yahoo - Costco seems to have low prices on a lot of Michelins so Iā€™ll check that out and let you know how much theyā€™re going for there.

greatā€¦hereā€™s a link to yahoo twā€¦somewhere to startā€¦

http://tw.search.bid.yahoo.com/search/ac?p=pp2&cat=2092052608&ysm_pat=pp2&display=image&haspic=1

$5,000NT for what size? 15" 16" 17"?..my golf runs on Toyo CT-01 225/45/17 and cost me $4,800 a piece, so if the $5K is for the same size, then Michā€™s pretty cheapā€¦AFAIK Michelin > Toyo, so shouldnā€™t michelin much more expensive than Toyo?

michelin has always made a good tire that lasted longer then the others and also a lot more expensive to buy usually.

iv also liked Dunlop

Pirelli has great grip, not too good mileage and can burst if you hit something on the road

Riken (made by Michelin in Japan) is a good tire, YOkohama is good. Nitto is good (bit hard riding).

IM currently using Falken by Sumitomo and they have good grip and a soft ride :0

very pleased with them.

for an idea of tires and cost (albeit USA cost) check out www.tires.com

that gives u an idea.

in the usa, normaly u add bout 20 bucks a tire to those prices to get them mounted and balanced and used tires thrown away , etc.

My tires are 205 50/16 (friend bought the same ones as well) and they can be had for 3,500$nt each on yahooā€¦so I guess 5,000$nt would be right for a 17 inch tire. The only other performance tires that Iā€™ve really tried in the past were Hankook Ventus Plus. They were 225 45/17 (like yours) mounted on speedline wheels. They had awsome gip but only lasted one summer.

So, Iā€™d say that as a good performance for everyday driving tire, the Michelin Preceda PP2 is one Iā€™d chose againā€¦

Cheers

Surprised me a little because I was once hitching in a van that burst a rear tyre (which I THINK is what happens to this one) at speed (on the UK A1) and no one noticed until I pointed out all the thick black smoke in the rear window. Was difficult to put out, too, kept re-igniting.

On the basis of that experience Iā€™d always assumed only front blowouts were really dangerous. Maybe blue trucks are less stable, but IIRC my UK experience involved a Commer, and they looked about to fall over when standing still.

Maybe it IS all down to fate.

This in USA- California, trip makes car fly, crazy crash (or Canada???_

1 Like