Chewing tobacco

My uncle chews Oliver Twist Chewing Tobacco Bits, but the thing is, he takes one of those bits and a piece of gum and chews it like that.

Snus is NOT healthy, had several friends in college that overdid it and they had huge holes in their mouths from sticking the crap up there. One guy could poke his balls almost all the way up to his nose…
Then again, the pouches aren’t so bad and I have a friend here that regularly gets that stuff shipped over here from one of the two websites mentioned.

[quote=“TheLostSwede”] One guy could poke his balls almost all the way up to his nose…
[/quote]

I’m glad I wasn’t there the night he discovered that particular party trick.

Is there a Scandinavian connection there? I never thought about it before.

[quote=“super_lucky”][quote=“Wookiee”]Try:
雙城街﹐18港 18(?) 號
Small store, not open Sundays
They usually have Copenhagen, both long cut and regular.[/quote]

Really? Cool. Could you name the address in English? [/quote]

from maps.google.com.tw

No. 18, Lane 18, ShuāngChéng St, Jhongshan District, Taipei City

堅睦食品有限公司‎

I have seen a shop near Shimen Station in Taipei down in the small night market stands. They had Copen and some various brands of pipe tobacco. Borkum Riff stands out in my mind because I used to smoke it. I do recall some smokeless. I have absolutely no idea of the address or direction. It used to be available but maybe times have changed. I used to love Copen with a dash of Tobasco. Times change.

[quote=“Wookiee”]Try:

Small store, not open Sundays
They usually have Copenhagen, both long cut and regular.[/quote]

Thanks for the tip. They’re legit. Much appreciated.

I have routine shipments of skoal and grizzley sent to me. i have a bunch in my freezer now or can order extra for you next time. PM me for details

Does anyone have any chew, snus, or any smokeless tobacco to sell?
Thanks,
Katsurio

Was in China. No plug. Ciggys were healthey at 5 mg. I experimented with 10mg ciggys and a chaw.
F…K Worse than raaw tobaccky out of the field.
(or better)
Ya gotta love Tepic Mexico.

I’ll be traveling to Taipei in a week. PM me if you want some dip or chew from the states. I’m sure we could work something out.

Is there a Scandinavian connection there? I never thought about it before.[/quote]

You cannot copenhagen chew in Copenhagen.

Some in Sweden, but it’s an American thing.

You can get it here. It’s a baseball shop, but they sell dip too. Just ask for it, it’s fresh and not dry since all the baseball players go and get it there often
北門
northdoor.com.tw/
士林承德路4段106號

I can get some dip but I really want some Red Mans chew for baseball. Anyone know a place that has it?

just give up on dip and chew binlang instead. Much more satisfying, and far more likely to give you throat cancer

I make my own RedMan like chewing tobacco. I buy the tobacco here in Taiwan.

I don’t suppose anybody in Taiwan at the moment has a good source for chewing tobacco? Much appreciated.

I’m interested in the process of conversion, although I’m a fan of long cut snuff. If you have any information you’d be willing to share, I’d be much obliged (here or in private message).

The situation is pretty dire in Taiwan, and now, also the Philippines. Allow me a minute to explain why the two are related.

First, last time I went up to Northdoor (Feb. 2016), they had a very modest selection (maybe 15 tins) of Skoal and Copenhagen; however, all were odd “flavors”, which, fuck me, I’ve been out of the U.S. so long I didn’t even know people were using mango fine cut. Unbelievable. Cherry? Anyway, if you’re into the wintergreen, Northdoor probably has something for you. It’s pricey though. NT$350 per tin, IIRC. Maybe more. Just ask. It will help if you know the Chinese for chewing tobacco, or you could just mime it, which works for me.

Smoker’s Inn (run by Inez, nice lady) doesn’t even carry snus anymore. She does have a wide range of tobaccos, although none appear to be suitable for chewing.

Otherwise, I’ve checked every baseball shop, squirrel bodega, variety store, tobacco retailer from here to Banqiao. Nobody has it, and nobody plans on getting it.

A word about self-importing. Due to myriad contingencies not yet unveiled, I’ve been exploiting somewhat of a loophole in the system by ordering Swedish snus online and having it shipped to me here. By using registered mail, it slips through customs 11 out of 12 times. When it does get pinched, it’s merely a matter of going down to the joint at Jianguo/Xinyi, and paying a very stiff NT$1800 tariff. Were I a serious aficionado of smokeless tobacco, I would get up to speed on the Swedish snus. It’s a better all-around product, IMHO. Anyway, there are more than a few online retailers who offer Cope/Skoal shipment to Taiwan, but I’ve never tried that route. To put a finer point on it, compared to snus, all UST products are toxic, abrasive substances that will really fuck up your mouth after long-term use. Snus is far easier on the gums, devoid of those harsh UST chemicals, and it doesn’t take much to get you where you want to go.

Now, it used to be easy-squeezy to get smokeless in Manila, up until January (?) or so. Bureaucratic bullshit. Nobody, and I mean nobody, is importing anything from the U.S., and I’ve been specifically told that Skoal and Cope is from here on out unavailable. OK, this has something to do with a new customs chief and somebody not getting greased properly. The people at Fuma (the main tobacco outlet in Manila, with half a dozen locations) said they have Timber Wolf on order, and maybe that might come through, but nobody knows when. That sucks because I go back and forth between TPE-MNL on a regular milk run. Which means I used to come back with a couple of sleeves that I would parse out to a few people who wanted it. Problem sort of solved. Not anymore.

TL;DR Northdoor is probably the only option, with a very limited, expensive selection.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Thanks for your reply, and for the information.

I just checked out Northdoor and had a conversation with the boss (in Chinese); he said they haven’t got anything in stock and that they haven’t received any new stock in months. He also indicated that availability in Taiwan is currently at an all-time low. Well, this sucks.

With regard to ordering online, I checked out a website called Northerner, somebody posted a link earlier in this thread, and placed a small order to give it a test run. They do ship to Taiwan, but obviously they’ve got no control over local customs protocal and have no way to keep track of the package after it’s been shipped out. I only ordered three tins of Grizzly; I don’t know if that’s enough to make customs want to nab it. I’ve got a couple questions about that. How do you know if customs has your package? If they do, you just go pick it up?

Maybe it’s time for me to go Swedish?

[quote=“coolgame308”]Thanks for your reply, and for the information.

I just checked out Northdoor and had a conversation with the boss (in Chinese); he said they haven’t got anything in stock and that they haven’t received any new stock in months. He also indicated that availability in Taiwan is currently at an all-time low. Well, this sucks.

With regard to ordering online, I checked out a website called Northerner, somebody posted a link earlier in this thread, and placed a small order to give it a test run. They do ship to Taiwan, but obviously they’ve got no control over local customs protocal and have no way to keep track of the package after it’s been shipped out. I only ordered three tins of Grizzly; I don’t know if that’s enough to make customs want to nab it. I’ve got a couple questions about that. How do you know if customs has your package? If they do, you just go pick it up?

Maybe it’s time for me to go Swedish?[/quote]

Three tins of Grizzly is well below the threshold of what you can personally carry into the country; however, customs doesn’t apply the same 400g exemption. I’ve gone round and round with them about that.*** You will be taxed on the total cost of the shipment (including declared delivery charge). That is, if it gets pinched. If so, you will receive a letter telling you (in Chinese) that you need to come get your package. If you’re in Taipei, it’s the office on Jianguo, second floor. Warning: They’re closed during the lunch break. Arrive after 1:00 p.m.

***The customs tariff schedule is obscure and confounding. For example, my package almost invariably contains 740g of tobacco. I’ve read on gov’t websites that anything under 1kg is subject to a small tax (flat NT$500). Plus, you’re legally entitled to carry 400g into the country. Not applicable under import via mail, according to the customs office, and here’s where it gets so maddening that I give up. Customs on 740g of tobacco comes out to NT$1,800. Period. If you’re wondering how much three tins of Grizzly will cost you, the average weight of one tin is 34g. You could do the math if you wanted.

THIS is why people are not importing tobacco products into Taiwan. They’d have to charge NT$500 per tin (at least) to make any money on it. Plus, how many guys are willing to drop $500 on a tin of not-so-fresh Copenhagen? Not me, man.

Woah. This thread has been around since I turned eight…

1 Like