🌄 Chiayi | Alishan Accommodation

Jeez, I am trying to tell you that Alishan is not a national park.

It’s either a national scenic area (the large one), or a national forest recreation area (the popular forest area inside the large one). There is a big difference between those three in Taiwan.

What is the difference between the 3?
(I was following what you was saying and I just thought you were being picky about the name, but as there is a difference it would be interesting to know).

Alishan is part of the central mountains, there are some designated scenic spots and the National Park. Altogether if you wanted to spend time visiting all of these areas you need several days to explore.

This is part of the range where I live… in Alishan but I am an hour away from the National Park. All shots within 20 mins drive from my home on the roads to and from my home. Drone shot taken by launching from a part of the range looking down over the valley where I live. You can see it from the #18 Alishan Highway as you drive to the National Park.

This is from Shan Mei which is around which is at a lower part of the range not far from Chiayi City. From here to the National Park around a 2 hour drive… road speeds in many areas are slow along winding roads.

Which doesn’t exist

Is the point @hannes is trying very hard to make

They are administered by three different government entities with different objectives.

Focus of the national scenic areas is on developing tourism, they are managed by the Tourism Administration (formerly Tourism Bureau), Ministry of Transportation and Communictations.

National parks in Taiwan are administred by the Ministry of the Interior with “emphasis [is] on the preservation of natural and cultural resources, with development for human utilization being a secondary priority.”

National forest recreation areas are run by the Forestry and Nature Conservation Agency, Ministry of Agriculture. “The FANCA is responsible for Taiwan’s forests management, utilization, recreation, and the conservation of land-area ecosystem, and in charge of developments and implementations of related policies.”

Let’s be correct here. It’s not a big difference for like foreign tourists, but since we live on this rock, why not be informed and present correct information, instead of being chabuduoistic.

8 Likes

real main difference: for the natl parks, mostly have to request permission to climb shit & campout still, if I’m not mistaken. Less applicable to Kending and Yangmingshan among others, I think. That’s the only really practical difference it makes to my life.

OK lol just go to any of the places

https://www.ali-nsa.net/en

https://recreation.forest.gov.tw/EN/Forest/RA?typ=0&typ_id=0500001

I just want to avoid confusion. If someone talks about Alishan National Park, people won’t be sure which area is actually meant.

It’s like using “the United Provinces of America.” People will start wondering what is meant.

1 Like

Hi! I just visited Alishan this past Double 10 holiday weekend and really enjoyed it. I stayed at Hotel Tilun which is located in Nantou just below Alishan Mountain. It is approximately a 2 hrs drive (74Kms) from the hotel to the top of the mountain.

https://www.agoda.com/tilun-hotel/hotel/nantou-tw.html?cid=1844104

It’s a 3 star hotel with Spa which provided breakfast and dinner and not really that expensive. We enjoyed our stay there.
387753884_10160799002000700_1749009615033896255_n

The drive up Alishan was awesome…beautiful scenery and the roads were pretty nice. I highly recommend anyone who hasn’t visited the area to go there at least once.

This is the highest Elementary School in Taiwan

Alishan Museum

4 Likes

A few years ago I stay at Alishan Youth Activity Center , Is a 15 minutes drive to Alishan National Scenic Area

http://alishan.cyh.org.tw/?lang=en&doing_wp_cron=1697510410.4553411006927490234375

1 Like

I too struggled to understand this part.

EDITED FOR CLARITY

Guy

What is more “when in Rome…” than being chabuduoistic?