🌄 Chiayi County | Alishan Forest Railway

landslide knocks out Alishan railway. Should this railway be closed because a road now takes people up the hill? Its running at an annual loss.

What? And have more buses, coaches and family cars with driver seat TV’s cruising up and down those twisty roads. Yeah, just another scenic area full of historical importance about to be destroyed on this otherwise rather pointless island.

and after yesterday’s bus crash on YangMingShan, the train looks even better.

that train ride is a pearl in its own right. plus, it travels to Alishan via a much more scenic and awe-inspiring path, through some beautiful forest (even though much of it is regrowth forest after logging). I would suggest they keep it going, but perhaps lift the price a bit: it is a much better option than driving your own car or a bus.

Even if the train itself runs at a loss, it may end up making money for the Alishan area, because it attracts people who then spend in the hotels, eateries etc. This logic keeps Switzerland’s funky, scenic, and very high-maintenance cog railways going, even though almost every (but not quite every) mountain resort in that country is accessible by train.

I am visiting soon and wish to see the Alishan forest and the old railway.

I intend to take the high speed train down to Chiayi, then the bus to the train station to the forest.
Is everything in order there? Is the forest open?

The Alishan Railway was severely damaged by Typhoon Morakot and there is uncertainty about when and if it will reopen. This article that was published in the Taipei Times a few weeks ago gives a good coverage of the problems: Uncertain future for Alishan railway.

Wow, I was hoping to get there. I wonder if the roads are still open?
Their website is totally down:
http://railway.forest.gov.tw/

There is recent news here, perhaps speaking of a partial re-opening, but much is lost in translation:
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ht-alishan.com.tw%2Fnews_show.asp%3Fautono%3D105
http://www.ht-alishan.com.tw/news_show.asp?autono=105

Keith

Taipei Times today reports partial reopening of Highway 18 to Alishan on 20 October.

Thanks, I think I will just take the HSR down to Jiayi and photograph the train facilities there.

Thanks

I’m looking to go to Alishan, maybe at the end of this month? Any suggestions for places to stay, things to do, or just recommendations in general? I’ve never been there.
Thanks

Unless you have your own vehicle it is not worth it. And I say that because the best thing about Alishan is popping over to nearby Yushan National Park and doing day hikes around Tatajia, or just cruising along the various highways and byways. The Alishan region is immense and stunning but the village is like a parking lot with hotels around it. They are going to build a gondola up on the coming years and then the combination of the old train and gondola will be very worth it but for now you can give it a miss. So much of what people think is the best of Taiwan are just old areas that the Tourism Bureau likes to promote because they already have some fame. But of the famous areas, only really Taroko deserves it (in spades, it is a magnificent place).

If you are looking for a mountain retreat head to Dasyueshan or Tapingshan. Again, best to have a vehicle. Tapingshan is great as the village looks like a mountain retreat, there are lots of hikes nearby, knockout views everywhere and even some hot springs just down the road.

Good advice from Mucha Man, as usual.

I would avoid Zhongzheng “Alishan” Village although I’m not he best person to ask as I’ve never actually been there. The one time I passed by (returning from Tatajia) I saw all the tour buses and kept driving.

Alishan National Scenic Area, however, I can attest to. It’s definitely one of the top 5 most brilliant areas in Taiwan IMHO, maybe top 3. Comically steep ridges mixed with sub-tropical bamboo forests and terraced tea fields. Absurdly photogenic. There are countless curvy little county roads that always seem to yield something new and interesting. I’ve been a few times but always feel like I’ve barely scratched the surface. Speaking of the roads, many of them are still being repaired from Typhoon Morakot and tourism has become very unorganized (and almost non-existant in some spots). Which is bad for loud, tastelessly-attired, oversized-SLR-toting, KTV-singing tour bus hordes but very good for you!

However, like most worthwhile areas in Taiwan, you need your own transportation. Unless they’ve changed their policies in past couple of years, there are a couple of scooter rental companies across from Chiayi TRA station that dont require you to have a Taiwan driver’s license.

Just grab a scooter and go! The Lonely Planet has a small section on Alishan NSA which is a pretty decent start. It lists a few homestays that seem nice (I think I stayed in one of them at Rueili but I’m not sure). You can also look for Richard Saunders’ articles in the China-Post online. He knows the area fairly well.

We went in Sept. It was nice. We stayed in one hotel up there. They will wake you up at 4 A. M. so you can catch the train to the sunrise viewing area. I liked the big park that was around the town. Just walk from the hotel or the bus station. They have many big trees that got cut down. Me, the wife and two kids had a good time.

Is it worth camping there? Any good places for it?

I don’t know about camping. It’s high altitude, so it will be cold.

There is nowhere to camp.

There are no official campsites, although years ago I did camp once just off the main road, about 3km beyond Alishan towards Tataka. Bloody cold though. Last time I was up that way (April, if memory serves) there were several people camping around the abandoned buildings at Zizhong (spelling?) about 8 km beyond Alishan, by the entrance for the Tefuye Trail.

I meant in the Alishan Rec Area/Village itself. Of course if one has a vehicle there are places to pitch a tent. But then if one has a vehicle staying in Alishan Rec Area/Village is beside the point.

Are there any proper campsites elsewhere in the national scenic area? Don’t recall seeing any, but it’s a region I’d love to take the family+car+tent.

Again? I thought the train was still not operational? When did it start again? And I guess this may be the end of the line for this railway?