Chicago knocked out in first round of 2016 Olympics

They want America to fail.
Conservative conference attendees erupt in cheers when the U.S. is eliminated as Olympics site.
They hate Chicago because Bill Ayers lives there. The whole city is palling around with the terrorist.

[quote=“Dr. McCoy”]They want America to fail.
Conservative conference attendees erupt in cheers when the U.S. is eliminated as Olympics site.
They hate Chicago because Bill Ayers lives there. The whole city is palling around with the terrorist.[/quote]
Such hypocrites, those right-wing nutcases:

youtube.com/watch?v=6LnWJ-qsZb8&feature=sub

As Cenk says, imagine if Bush had lobbied for Dallas to host the Olympics, and liberal commentators said, “No, I think it should be hosted outside the US”. The Republicans would have gone nuts calling the liberals “unpatriotic”. Hypo-effing-crites. (spit)

Istanbul? you don’t think Rio can handle it but Turkey can? Interesting…

And why Tokyo again, folks? Booooring ugly place that it is: if it’s in Japan, and why not, how about Osaka? A much nicer city all round, and it’s even close to Kyoto, the gem of Japan.

or Naha. Now you’re talking!

I love Istanbul. It’s a kick arse city, but it won’t be in any Islamic country (even a “secular” one) for a long time. Islamic City = Terrorist Attack certainty, not to mention that Turkey also has Kurdish separatist terrorists, and has it escaped anyone’s notice that it borders both Iraq and Iran?

As for Brazil, it will have a kick arse Opening Ceremony that will be genuinely soulful, unlike anything staged by China, and Brazil will be in hyper party mode for the whole Games. Undoubtably, there will be logistical problems and so on, but I think the next decade or so is basically the coming out party for emerging nations. I expect India to get something along these lines (maybe not necessarily athletic) at some point relatively soon. The rest of the world is over Europe and America and they’re saying that now there’s no excuse not to spread the love.

I meant that Rio will have problems handling TWO mega events only 2 years apart. Don’t know how capable or safe Turkey is, but it’s a more interesting city than Chicago, Madrid or Tokyo.

Why do American conservatives hate America?

Some American conservatives hate America because they think America should be a very, very particular thing and can’t handle that 1) it’s a (fairly) modern country, 2) it’s a pluralistic country.

chinapost.com.tw/sports/olym … s-path.htm

Rio chosen !

Did anybody think Atlanta had a chance?

I’ve spoken to quite a few Americans that are happy Rio got it. South America has never hosted the games. Hopefully Brazil can put on a good show.

Karnival!

[quote=“On The Brink”]
Did anybody think Atlanta had a chance?[/quote]

Atlanta’s rival bid cities were Athens, Belgrade, Manchester, Melbourne and Toronto.

It was a shoo-in. Except for Athens, which wanted to host in the centennial anniversary of the Games, but Athens did later get the 100th games.

I’m glad Rio got it, if only for the babes. :sunglasses:

But I don’t know why anyone would want an Olympics right now. Canada is spending almost a billion dollars on security alone…that’s money we’ll never get back. What’s Obama been smoking that he would want Chicago to foot that kind of bill?

Good for Brazil, I am sure the kidnapping industry there is licking their lips. :2cents:

[quote=“Chuanzao El Ale Destroyer”]I’m glad Rio got it, if only for the babes. :sunglasses:

But I don’t know why anyone would want an Olympics right now. Canada is spending almost a billion dollars on security alone…that’s money we’ll never get back. What’s Obama been smoking that he would want Chicago to foot that kind of bill?

Good for Brazil, I am sure the kidnapping industry there is licking their lips. :2cents:[/quote]
Chicago going for the bid wasn’t an Obama idea. That blame rests squarely on Mayor Daley

Nama is right … still a poor choice.

What else would a city like Chicago need but some really expensive, labor intensive, (essentially) single use buildings dotting the landscape.

I realize that people would really get a kick out of another US Olympic city, but we got our chance when they chose Atlanta but some ass had to ruin it. Time for South America to have a nice time with the honor.

As for why, maybe it’s a tradition, maybe the olympics are important enough to make funds available … maybe it’ll be an excellent way to actually inject some capital into a local economy (after/if, of course, the expense of setting up the games has been recuperated).

Just some thoughts.

“We” would need it because it was a good excuse for Daley to do a shit load of stuff to attract the middle suburbanites back into the city. Plus this bid was about his “legacy” never about revenue and international visibility. As much as I have a weird love for Daley, the man is ABSOLUTELY shortsighted.

Now I only hope he doesn’t stroke out in off due to this serious loss of face. Or rather serious blow to his ego.

I’m starting to dread the Olympics in Rio, imagine, that place is packed, REALLY packed with drug dealers, knidnappers, assaltants, all sorts of bad criminals and the police can’t clean that…
It was a bad choice IMO, they should move the Olympics to other cities in Brazil, down south. Rio is not livable anymore.

Maybe I am stupid, but I never get these kind of arguments. A city spends on security. Where does the money go? Do they flush it down the drain and you can’t get it back from the bottom of the ocean?

Don’t they spend it on hiring people and doing infrastructure projects etc. etc.? Of course, there might be better ways to invest the money to create a better future for the city, but money doesn’t exactly evaporate when spending it on security, right?

It has few, if any, lasting effects. It goes to private firms to set up temporary barricades and the like and usually to hire temporary employees. Basically, there’s no public utility for it. In fact, there’s a kind of anti-public utility because it usually becomes extremely inconvenient to get to work for anyone who works within a ten block radius of any such event. My mother works downtown in Melbourne, and whenever there’s any kind of international event (including the Grand Prix), it adds at least one and a half hours to her commuting time. She hates these things.

Guy has a point. I’ve lived in DC and the locals first reaction whenever there’s a high security situation is “damn, the traffic is gonna suck today.”

I love the Rio is too dangerous argument. Obviously we need a safe place, somewhere that visitors can feel comfortable, where nobody need fear for life or limb…and now presenting…Chicago! Murder Capital of America!

Maybe I am stupid, but I never get these kind of arguments. A city spends on security. Where does the money go? Do they flush it down the drain and you can’t get it back from the bottom of the ocean?

Don’t they spend it on hiring people and doing infrastructure projects etc. etc.? Of course, there might be better ways to invest the money to create a better future for the city, but money doesn’t exactly evaporate when spending it on security, right?[/quote]

I said, a billion dollars on security alone. Sure, there is other money invested in infrastructure, etc. but the budget for security is in excess of $900,000,000. Most of that is anti-terrorism security. They’re worried about chemical attacks, biological attacks, suiside bombers, you name it. The only legacy they’ll leave in Vancouver (besides people not getting killed by terrorists - IF we’re lucky* :frowning: ) is zillions of security cameras everywhere. By the time they get done they’ll have security cameras in Vancouver to rival London.

I’d rather spend the money on schools and art projects and anti-addiction programs instead. Screw the olympics we’ll be paying off this debt for years.

I’m so glad I don’t live in Vancouver.

*Al Q has named us a target and there are an estimated 200 Al Q cells in Canada. If you think they aren’t going to at least threaten us, like they have been doing in Germany with the German elections and through Octoberfest you are sticking your head in the sand. Do it while you can, our rude awakening will come sooner than later, probably at the Olympics. :frowning: