Child abduction and custody

My Canadian friend and her Taiwanese husband married in Canada and their son (almost 5) is legally a Canadian citizen. The father is the primary caretaker as he could not work in Canada so the mother has been the working parent. Unfortunately she is bankrupt (due to my parents actions) so couldn’t sponsor the fathers citizenship at the time (and still cannot).

In the past he has taken the child to Taiwan for months at a time to visit his family. However this time he delayed the child’s return for personal reasons + covid and is now filing for divorce. At this point the child has been living in Taiwan for a year without being a Taiwanese citizen.

I think it is noteworthy to say that the father has a history of violence and has beaten up my friend multiple times in the past while she was pregnant, there has been police reports filed in Canada as well. However the charges were dropped because my friend is too nice.

Unfortunately since the child was raised by the father, even though the child was in Canada he doesn’t speak any English. The father doesn’t work in Taiwan either and is being financially supported by his mom. The father also has a bigger social network support in Taiwan as he has two sisters and his mom who live close by. My friends family live quite far away.

My friend was recently served divorce papers which isnt the problem, the problem is that she doesn’t want to give the father full custody as clearly his values and ethics are questionable. Also from a parental perspective the child will have an easier life in Canada.

From what I’m reading the Taiwanese court would likely give custody to the father. Can anyone offer any insight please? What are her options? Thanks in advance.

What do you mean your parents actions?

I was married to a tw women in usa , she left with my 3.5 year old son to tw before our divorce was final .
I dont think there cant be joint custody ( i could be wrong ) When parents live in different countries.
Its not like you can share the child every other weekend
I gave her full custody, but we made a summer agreement that the kid will come back to usa for july and august .

6 year she never followed the rules, actually cutt me off 100% for 5years.
Kicker i had to pay her each month or get bank accounts frozen if no bank account jail is next.

Usa could do nothing to help…
so i moved to tw.

Took her to Tw family court (bullshit) To make her follow our usa divorce Agreement which tw says they will make her honor.thats a joke.
I was pushed into a mediation agreement to “rebuild the father /son relationship.

Did she follow our usa divorce agreement NO
Did she follow our tw court agreement NO

I took her to civil court was she fined NO

I think the answer is if the child is in tw with a parent and the other parent is a foreigner “there is no hope”
Once they enter into asylum in tw there are free to destroy/erase a non custodal parents a life .
And tw court with glady support the tw parent.

If im competely whacked out and wrong , if there is help . Im in a current case in the tw court please help me . Provide information, oh yes and i do have a tw lawyer…

5 Likes

Say what?

2 Likes

Don’t push it. :wink:
I think it’s an “ask for a friend” kind of post…

2 Likes

wow this sounds like a nightmare, i’m sorry man

That’s really sad to hear.
The difference though is he’s taking her to court in Taiwan not in Canada directly. What are the chances she can get 100% custody uf she takes him to court given their situations? Esp. His history of abuse…

Lol. Sorry i originally was originally trying to post as first person since Ive had posts disproved before because you’re not allowed to post on behalf of someone else on some other forums. I changed it back to 3rd person half way, guess i missed it.

Her parents used her information to start a business that caused her to be bankrupt, she’s trying to pay back what she owes.

The best part about living in tw for me is i dont pay her,

the bad part is if i go back to live in usa in need to pay all errrors(arrears) how every they say it…

So i have a large incentive(Discount) to live here !

The saddest part is im a good father and did nothing to this women, she just got frustrated after economic crash as my business was effected and money got tight… ( i was just atm)
now she has tiger mom mentality thinking that i will corrupt her special son… its best to just erase dad. Throw him away …

News flash my son is American he will rebel against a tiger mom!!

1 Like

Are you not tempted to just do what she did and take your kid back to America?

Is that legal? I think most parents would be tempted.

If i took him and left , i would be a criminal in big trouble as she is custodian.

But before our divorce was final she stole him away into asylum.

I dont want trouble, i just want to be included in my kids life!

4 Likes

I wonder if AIT would have guidance on this.

As far as arrears in the US, if you can demonstrate that she is ignoring/violating US court rulings, as well as TW rulings, can you perhaps at least escape the alimony?

1 Like

Child support and parenting plan are two different things.
I tried Trust me.

1 Like

Its been a long time since i contacted ait about this issue. But i remember they couldn’t help

not sure…it sounds like taking your kid away from their father for 5 years is super illegal though

literally nothing legally happened to the the mother for doing that? @Rzarobbie

If mother resides in usa she will be in trouble, in tw she is free to erase me completely