Childcare costs. Baby sitters, nannies, daycare etc

What are the costs and options for pre-kindergarten childcare here in Taiwan?
For example;

Hourly babysitting cost.

F/T or P/T nanny.

F/T or P/T preschool.

A day at Amah’s house–layers of thick clothes and all-you-can-eat rice porridge inclusive.

Curious on this one too. Partner was complaining today about having too many things to do and not enough time, and I suggested that we get a babysitter for a couple of afternoons a week. Was told very firmly that it would be very difficult as “we [the taiwanese] don’t do baby-sitting like in the Uk. It would be very hard to find a baby-sitter and people would think it very strange.” I know most Taiwanese rely on relatives for child-care, but is this really the attitude to baby-sitting? Am sure there must be a xiao-jie or 2 out there who’d be glad of some extra $.

Usually no XiaoJies want to do babysiting. I just had this dicussion with my wife yesterday. Only older ladies, grandmas, do this. You can rent a Taiwan grandmother to watch your kids for about NT$250 an hour or less. Incidently that is the same price for house cleaning. A lot of people hire Philipino part timers as well. Not sure their pricing. I think less, but thye most likely want and expect the same as a Taiwanese even though back home NT$250 is considered a SUPER high wage. They take what they can get while there here as that is why they are here.

Here’s a website in Chinese, recommended by someone at Parent Pages.

100s.hypermart.net/

You can find retired nurses who run “home daycares”. I’m not sure if it’s only Taipei but it’s worth a look. A friend found someone to care for her daughter in the caregiver’s home, NT80/hour, across the street from her husband’s place of work.

If you’re willing to pay more, you might be able to convince the person to come to your place.

Actually, I am curious about this too, but from a different angle – I’m a 27 year old PhD student from the US studying in Taiwan and looking for an easy way to make some extra money babysitting, teaching/coaching sports, and/or tutoring for school-age children… but not the cram school style tutoring. I did this for a few months for some Taiwanese families but I found it completely unrewarding and high pressure: the kids would go to school all day and then their parents made them sit an extra 2 hours in the evening one on one with me, using very specific workbooks and methods, to get them to speak English. It was high pressure and the kids often just wanted to play games (not allowed! according to the parents. Sigh.)

Anyways, is there a place I could advertise for babysitting or above mentioned services? I used to coach 8-12 girls in running, healthy eating and lifestyle, etc at an elementary school in the US and I really liked that!

~Amanda

If you are looking for casual babysitting/childminding jobs, you could post at http://www.parentpages.net, there are families there who would love to find a reliable childminder.

Asiababy,
Know anything about the requirements for babysitter licenses? Is it something that is enforced or maybe just applies to those who take care of infants?

We also need an occasional babysitter and now my wife is also thinking of doing some babysitting herself part time.

One intersting possibilty we heard of from a friend of hers is trying to find students who major in early childhood education. Seems to be a common subject in alot of colleges and some universities.

we’ve just hired a nanny for our baby for when he is 2 months old and that will cost NTD$16,000pm for a 10 hour day, 5 days a week. He will go to their house.

We are paying NT$15k for the same service. She does some evenings too and weekend days if we have to clean the house.

1 Like

Mr He, is your child also a baby. 15-16, 000 sounds like a very good deal. Could one expect the same price for a preschooler?

A pre-scooler goes to a kindergarten from the age of 2. I have paid NT$5k and NT$18k for a bilingual one.

Does anyone know of “occassional” daycare centers available in Neihu area? My little one is only 2.5yr old. We would like her to hang around with children around the same age.

There are a couple I know of in Nei-Hu that accept children two or three mornings a week. Do you want English or Chinese? Which neighbourhood?

Hi! Great!!! Would you pls provide me with the info. I’m in Neihu nearby De-An Dept. Store. Either English or Chinese would be fine, I can have my husband read the Chinese part. Thanks in advance. :notworthy: