Children in school

Taiwan and its education system is in no shortage to surprise me at any time.

My daughter (obviously a mixed child) is quite tall. I get occasionally class-room pictures from my ex-wife and I noticed the teacher has put her in the very last row (where she sits without a neighbouring classmate) based on the reason she is the tallest in her class.
Even worse, they don’t mix up the seats at all.

She is the only mixed child, but before you are guessing, no, she is greatly accepted and integrated, so this situation isn’t based “on race” at all.

I am just stunned, that a very “few cm” are reasons enough to justify such (in my view unacceptable) teacher’s behaviour.

Any thoughts ?

Tallest people always go at the back. Otherwise it doesn’t work.

3 Likes

Does it bother your daughter? Start there.

2 Likes

If she is integrated and accepted, what do you care? They can move around/play at break time.

Also, the teachers normally move people about throughout the year. Don’t sweat it.

1 Like

I think we’re discussing photographs where the tallest people should be at the front.

1 Like

I don’t think that’s quite it.

To be honest I am very surprised about your answers here - make me think about myself thinking too much ?

Dont you think sitting in the last row most of your schooltime could have a negative aspect of your future life ?

But hey ok, at least she could become a model in her adult life (or “other options” where size indeed matters).

Anyway, in my (western) country parents would sue the school for such actions and I am pretty sure they would suceed.

It depends. How are her grades?

2 Likes

Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you were complaining about class photos.

There is research that states the obvious that sitting closest to the teacher gets higher grades.

What’s the research say about short kids sitting behind tall kids? :wink:

2 Likes

I am sorry. English isn’t my native english. I am talking about a class-room picture (probably taken by a teacher for whatever reason) where all students are sitting at their desks.
My daughter’s desk in the last row with no neighbouring classmate (I guess due to the uneven number of students).

And yes, her grades are not the best. However I dont pay that much attention to that as she is currently in her 4th grade.

Maybe you should start, said the teacher with 25 years of classroom experience.

Your worry is that she’s in the back. Are you also worried that she’s alone with no one to talk to? Again, have you spoken to her about things? Can you speak to her about life in school without projecting your concerns onto her?

1 Like

From a teaching perspective the answer would be obvious if the tall kids are very tall.

Who knows? Maybe the short kid does better due to all the straining to see the board and the wutdidjoosays from the void.

Do you think her grades are not the best because she’s sitting at the back of the classroom? But you don’t pay much attention to her grades.

I’m not sure what your problem is here

3 Likes

This is a valid point. Self-control and fortitude. It might work.

1 Like

Again, my bad english …

So far I wasn’t that concerned regarding school-grades. But I also was not informed about that seating-arrangement.
Those situations sadly arise, if the foreign parent are sadly being cut off from child-custody after divorce (that’s an entire different subject).

Anyway, starting this thread here I am NOW obviously concerned

Dude, talk to your kid. You don’t know if she is unhappy sitting where she’s sitting. You do know she’s doing poorly but that could be for any number of reasons.

I think that is the subject to bring up in this forum. Lots of divorced dads(mostly) learn to fight for their visitation rights here. Start asking the right questions to the right people.

Right now, you just seem to think that because you saw a picture of your kid next to an empty desk (maybe that kid was sick that day?) that she’s doing poorly in 4th grade.

You have rights. Learn then.

1 Like

Your English is great. There is no need to apologise.

If your child’s classroom seating is an issue ask for it to be changed.

EDIT: I understand now that you have limited control over the situation.

2 Likes

Does your child have bad eyesight? Somebody has to sit at the back. All else being equal it makes sense for the tallest kids to sit in the back.

My kids always wanted to sit in the back for what that’s worth.

1 Like