China Airlines fire in Okinawa

Proof that drink doesn’t affect driving performance!

And is it really any wonder that CAL keeps the name CHINA Air? And one would think that the Chinese would be all in favor of CAL renaming itself TAIWAN Air… :s

LL, you’re kidding about the CCP sabotage right? Because the Taiwanese can’t be incompetent at all, and we have to look for an external cause unrelated to the service, competency, and quality of CAL.

Thanks to Quetzacoatl that they’re alive, but I sure wouldn’t want to be disembarking a plane full of Taiwanese… it’s bad enough when it’s a normal off-loading with the pushing, elbowing, rushing to the front before the plane stops, taking bloody long time to get one’s massive handcarry that should never have been allowed on and making people behind you wait an inordinate amount of time… It muyst have been mad as a hatter with the fire. I can just imagine them, grannies stepping over your body, men surging forward with no regard for anyone else. mayhem.

Fly Eva Air.

I love the remark: At least they didn’t kill anyone this time.

Nice.

Yup , they done it again … smoking on the loo …

[quote=“Jack Burton”]Thanks to Quetzacoatl that they’re alive, but I sure wouldn’t want to be disembarking a plane full of Taiwanese… it’s bad enough when it’s a normal off-loading with the pushing, elbowing, rushing to the front before the plane stops, taking bloody long time to get one’s massive handcarry that should never have been allowed on and making people behind you wait an inordinate amount of time… It muyst have been mad as a hatter with the fire. I can just imagine them, grannies stepping over your body, men surging forward with no regard for anyone else. mayhem.

Fly Eva Air.[/quote]
Hmmm. I guess you think no Taiwanese fly on Eva?

Be assured, not one airline has had crashes on consecutive days … as far as I know …

http://www.nhk.or.jp/english/

Thankfully no one died…this time.

Considering that Lufthansa doesn’t fly to Taipei and instead you have to use another airline (like CI or CX) from/to HK that doesn’t sound like it’s the reason, especially if you consider the difference in Economy was only around 1k but in business more than 50% on the same flight.

More Pics:

Before:

After:

During:

So was this an unfortunate return to a smoking area on China Airlines?

HG

[quote=“Truant”][quote=“Jack Burton”]Thanks to Quetzacoatl that they’re alive, but I sure wouldn’t want to be disembarking a plane full of Taiwanese… it’s bad enough when it’s a normal off-loading with the pushing, elbowing, rushing to the front before the plane stops, taking bloody long time to get one’s massive handcarry that should never have been allowed on and making people behind you wait an inordinate amount of time… It muyst have been mad as a hatter with the fire. I can just imagine them, grannies stepping over your body, men surging forward with no regard for anyone else. mayhem.

Fly Eva Air.[/quote]
Hmmm. I guess you think no Taiwanese fly on Eva?[/quote]

I should clarify that, if you have to fly Taiwanese airlines, go for Eva Air. At least you’ll get the pushy, elbowing passengers, but still get out alive and unharmed.

Also, kudos to their Economy Deluxe class. It equals business class on the other shoddy airlines (read most other US airlines).

Seems an oil leak caused the fire:

[quote]Air traffic controllers noticed fumes after the plane landed following the flight of one hour and 20 minutes, and advised evacuation, Japanese officials said.

It was later found that an oil leak had caused an engine fire, according to China Airlines.[/quote]

news.com.au/story/0,23599,22 … 01,00.html

Some more pictures: In pictures: Taiwan plane on fire

Must have been a close call, glad nobody died and no serious injuries are reported.

I read somewhere -can’t find the link right now - that the plane had been serviced the day before. Seems to me somebody forgot a wrench in the engine…

I found a nice article though, that asks the million dollar question: What is it about China Airlines?
asiasentinel.com/index.php?optio … &Itemid=32

[quote]In the current mishap, the airline could have been the unlucky recipient of somebody else’s negligence – a chunk of debris on the Naha runway might have somehow gotten into the engine of the 737-300, a relatively new plane. It could have been the company with which China Air contracts for its maintenance. Or it could have been negligence on the part of the ground crew. The engine exploded after the plane had landed, according to the transport ministry, and terrorism was ruled out as a cause…There have been lesser incidents…Several factors contributed to the problems. Heavy maintenance for several years was contracted to a shadowy firm on the island of Tainan that had formerly belonged to the US Central Intelligence Agency. Also, the airline’s pilots were largely drawn from the ranks of the republic’s air force, and they tended to fly like air force pilots, taking chances they needn’t take.

China Air has been working hard to correct its faults, analysts say. The airline brought in expatriate pilots several years ago as captains to alleviate what had become known as an “ex air-force flying club.” The first few years, the analyst said, were trying. “I talked to one (expatriate) pilot who said ‘you have to remember at all times that the guy in the right-hand seat is trying to kill you.”

[/quote]

:slight_smile: the island of Tainan … is Tainan an island TC?

… and I’m surprised that there aren’t phone cam videos from inside the plane on the news yet …

Seems lessons were learnt from the Manchester fire.

Now come on guys, you can’t blame China Airlines for this one. First of all as the managment already stated in some press conference the plane just came from the standard mantainence so there can’t be possibly be anything wrong with the plane and than you all over see the most important fact:
it is ghost month.
You shouldn’t travel at that time in the first place.

So definatly it is the fault of one of the passangers not burning his ghost money well and offering enought stuff to them. For sure nobody is to blame besides the ghosts.

Sarcasm mode off: Thanks god nobody got killed and just one person injured.

They might want to give it a fresh coat of paint before putting it back into service.

I was reading the article you linked to, Icon, and it says that in 1971, a plane went down because a bomb exploded on it. Anyone know what that was all about? Couldn’t find any more details.

Listen, they went FIVE YEARS without an accident. By China Airlines standards this is an eternity.
Early analysis indicates the problem was one of those airplane gremlins like on the Twilight Zone movie. Several eyewitnesses say they saw something dart away from the engine area moments before the explosion.
On a side note, China Airlines hired a fungshui dude after the last boondoggle in 2002 and one of the recommendations was to put up a little red sign on the back of the office building there on Nanjing Road. You used to be able to see it from the parking lot behind. I don’t know if it’s still there, not living in Taiwan (aka “A food stain on the necktie of the world”), but my suspicion is that CAL forgot to renew its subscription to “Airline Offices Lucky Fengshui” magazine and the free geomancing that comes along with it.
The gremlin may actually be in the employ of the magazine owner. Of course we will probably never know since the gremlin is almost certainly back in Kaifeng eating duck, awaiting his next assignment.