China Airlines fire in Okinawa

Haha I love the flight hours at time of inspection.

Aha. It had just been “serviced”. More botched maintenance a la Penghu crash? Workshop manual upside down? Binlang in the Big End? All will (not) be revealed in the next episode of China Scarelines!

Haha I love the flight hours at time of inspection.[/quote]

And if you even check what day the 13th of July was than you would really get the kick: FRIDAY, the 13th…

Told you, nobodies fault, just ghosts… :unamused:

Buttercup,

That 1971 incident is quite mysterious. I remember there was an incident with a passenger trying to blow a local plane in order to get his in-laws inheritance, but I don’t know if it is the same case.

21 November 1971; China Airlines Caravelle; near Penghu Islands, Formosa Strait between Taiwan and the PRC: The aircraft was believed to have been destroyed by an inflight explosion caused by a bomb. All 17 passengers and eight crew members were killed.

Flight 825, according to Wikipedia.

Info in Chinese is also quite few. Better ask around. Anyone?

Belgian Pie,
Sorry, I missed that one. Island of Tainan?! :blush:

Have you guys seen the video of the evacuation? WOW. That’s a narrow escape.

Engines blow just as the last passenger and the pilot/copilot jump off.

[quote=“Icon”]Have you guys seen the video of the evacuation? WOW. That’s a narrow escape.

Engines blow just as the last passenger and the pilot/copilot jump off.[/quote]

Was that on the local TV news? I think they edited the video so you don’t see the three-minute delay in between, but I could be wrong.

CNN - the last person gets down the slide and…boom!

have a look at a calendar.

Hmmm…"According to passenger interviews there were no announcements by the crew. It was the passengers seated in the middle who yelled to get out because of the smoke. "

Here’s the full list of A/C lost by CI:

Caravelle - 1
707-320 - 2
737-200 - 2
747-200 - 2
747-400 - 1
MD-11 - 1
A300-600 - 2

Plus…

They came close in 2002 when a CI A340-300 took off from a taxiway by mistake at ANC and barely got airborne (landing gear stuck snowbanks at the end).
http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=20020125-0

They had another close call in 1985 when a 747SP went out of control near SFO and plunged 30,000 ft, causing serious structural damage but only a couple of injuries. Blamed on pilot error after one engine lost power. (This one we’ve talked about)
http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=19850219-0

[quote=“Elegua”]Hmmm…"According to passenger interviews there were no announcements by the crew. It was the passengers seated in the middle who yelled to get out because of the smoke. "
[/quote]

I saw that on the news also. So I wonder if it was also that passenger in the middle who was busy getting the exit doors open, prepared, and manned for emergency evacuation which saved everyones lives.
According to the news the pilot was the last one off. If the crew did the same after making sure all passengers were evacuated…I think they should stop complaining about the lack of an announcement that suggests the crew just bailed out and left them on their own.

Lucky the flight wasn’t delayed and they had one of those mad sit ins.

“The plane’s on fire, get out!” “I want a hotel upgrade. NOW!”

HG

[quote]Lucky the flight wasn’t delayed and they had one of those mad sit ins.

“The plane’s on fire, get out!” “I want a hotel upgrade. NOW!”

HG[/quote]

A few interesting news bits:

1. One of the passengers said the announcements were made in English. “We are old people, we do not understand”, she said.

2. As you observe the pics on today’s paper, please notice that the lucky escapees are still clutching their hand luggage and even took their video cameras to capture this moment for posterity…

3. Each passenger received “only” 10 thousand yen as compensation for their luggage. They are pissed off.

Oh dear! Can you imagine what a flight with CAL is going to be like now? They’ll be unbuckled and pushing for the door long before the damned thing hits the runway now. No hostie however hostile will be abe to stop 'em.

“Ladies and gentlemen, we are now beginning our decent . . .” Scramble!

HG

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]Oh dear! Can you imagine what a flight with CAL is going to be like now? They’ll be unbuckled and pushing for the door long before the damned thing hits the runway now. No hostie however hostile will be abe to stop 'em.

“Ladies and gentlemen, we are now beginning our decent . . .” Scramble!

HG[/quote]
Perhaps after decades of experience flying CAL, there is actually a great deal of logic in the Taiwanese routine of rushing for the door as soon as the nosegear touches the airstrip.

In my experience, this contrasts sharply with passenger behaviour on the mainland. On the Air China and China Southern fights I’ve taken, the cabin crew were polite but firm, and seemed to be respected by mainland passengers. When my wife was working for Cathay, she actually thought mainlanders were the nicest passengers to deal with. A bit bumpkin, but would do anything they were asked to do without giving any attitude. Unlike Taiwanese and HK passengers who would steal any property off the plane that they wanted, mainlanders would always innocently ask if they could take the blankets with them. And they would always clap after the plane landed. Perhaps these CAL pilots would fly better if Taiwanese would just show a bit of gratitude. “These asshole passengers just have no appreciation for that smooth landing I just made. Fine, then. A Huang, open the overboard fuel dump valves. Let’s cook these fuckers.”

This is the best quote so far to come out of this most recent “Taiwan (China) Airways” pantomime of culpable incompetance…

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

I’ve had the misfortune of having no option but to fly China Air once… never… ever… again… :help:

BTW: I love how “China Air”, most obviously un-“Ai Taiwan” corporate branding by far since it’s completely lacking any “Republic of…” prefix somehow managed to escape the greaseball in chief’s “change the name to Taiwan” edict… having Taiwan Airways festooned across the vertical stabiliser of blazing jet wrecks the world over would be the most sublimely poignant metaphor imaginable… just the thing to raise Taiwan’s profile in the eyes of the international public… :laughing:

Cheap flights to HK and some other promotion, purchase a few new aircraft, a couple of well orchestrated bows and duei bu chi’s in front of the cameras by CAL (no hush or compensation money needed this time barring the luggage lost), a new PR campaign with the model Lin Jr Ling.

The CAL management try even harder to get that feng shui problem sorted, cause what can make CAL a safe airline is not good management, but fate and feng shui
The news moves onto the next story. Its back to business as usual in CAL

Then again maybe EVA does not crash it planes because it is not the national carrier of the ROC, and might be closed down if it had a record like CAL

[quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”]Seems lessons were learnt from the Manchester fire.[/quote]Nob face, that was completely different, not only was that plane full of fuel, the fire started while it was already started to take off, it took 5 minutes everyone to get out.

[quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”][quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”]Seems lessons were learnt from the Manchester fire.[/quote]Nob face, that was completely different, not only was that plane full of fuel, the fire started while it was already started to take off, it took 5 minutes everyone to get out.[/quote]Gee. Talking to yourself in public is bad enough, but doing it online is downright creepy.

Things learned from Manchester were

Put floor lighting on the aisles for the passengers to follow
Use more flame retardant material in the decor of the plane

Smoke inhalation and people unable to find their way out doomed a lot of people

I saw that–some people even had their duty free bags with them. WTF?