China Airlines Stewardess files lawsuit and AIT refuses US v

taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/ … 2003429648

Nah, I dont believe the AIT denied her a visa because she sued, but then if it did it was very wrong. I noticed they gave her a visa after China Airlines protested. But they shouldnt have denied her another visa to the USA because she had had one already and is still a stewardess.

No member of the US govt will back up the person touching her butt I am sure, not officially anyway. Maybe the guy had a friend at the AIT>?.

I’m sure the AIT didn’t deny her visa for that, but. . . jeez, not another pervert teacher story.

[quote]US passenger named Noel Kaylor, who was a visiting associate professor at National Sun Yat-sen University in Kaohsiung, sat on a seat designated for flight attendants. When the flight attendant, surnamed Kuo, urged Kaylor to return to his seat, he allegedly touched her buttocks five or six times and told her this was how he would feel if he went back to his seat and collided with other passengers.

Kuo lay a charge of sexual harassment against Kaylor, who was fined NT$3,000 in July.

Kuo described the ruling as ridiculous and lodged an appeal. In the second trial, the case was settled on an agreement that Kaylor should pay NT$150,000 compensation.[/quote]

And he’s not even Canadian.

There are at least two sides to every story.

True. Here’s another side to it.

[quote]A US professor has been charged with harassing a stewardess on a Taiwan plane and is barred from leaving the island, prosecutors said on Sunday.

The Taoyuan Prosecutor’s Office said Noel Harold Kaylo Jr, 62, had been charged with harassing a stewardess . . .

The incident occurred Friday afternoon when Kaylo, an associate professor at Taiwan’s National Sun Yat-sen University, boarded CAL flight CI012 to return to New York.

When Kaylo sat down on a jump seat, which is used by the cabin crew, a stewardess asked him to go to his own seat.

Kaylo said he did not want to go to his aisle seat because he would be bumped by passing passengers.

When the stewardess told him that he had to return to his seat as the plane was about to take off, Kaylo patted the stewardess’s behind six times, shouting: ‘You know how it feels being bumped by others? It is like this!’

The stewardess, feeling she had been molested, alerted airport police, who removed Kaylo from the flight and turned him over for prosecution[/quote]
Monsters & Critics article

Most peculiar. Who would think to sit down in the stewardess seat prior to take off on a transpacific seat? Why? With the intention of sitting there for the duration of the flight? If the facts are as stated in the article (which I admit we don’t know), it sounds like he must have been drunk or in an ornery mood. Strange.

Apparently he is or was the Chairman of the English Dept at Troy State University, in Alabama. . .
zoominfo.com/Search/PersonDe … D=67516721

and an author of several books on Medieval lit and Boethian studies, which appears to be related to the same.
bookfinder.com/author/noel-harold-kaylor/

I wouldn’t completely trust the accuser’s story or the media’s report of the same without knowing the accused’s story.

Wasn’t this the poor bastard that was stuck in Taiwan for several months awaiting the court case? I heard a far more sympathetic telling of this tale last time I was in Taiwan. I think it all comes down to the last thing you ever need is to get yourself tangled up in histrionics with a jaded trolly dolly.

I’ve noticed a distinct increase in officious and over zealous hosties over the past few years, and came very close to giving a royal serve to one in particular on a Dragon flight quite recently. I suspect they feel supported and vindicated by the merciless, and rightly so, approach airlines and the courts are taking on so called air rage.

HG

Maybe another stewardess would have been more symphathetic? Just another 62 year old professor kinda thing.

Stupid thing he did of course…plain goofy. Especially since he couldve spent a bit of dosh and bought himself plenty of sex in hotels while in Taiwan.

And Ci stews are pretty touchy. A few of them took a company Gynecologist to court for touching their tits a bit too long during a physical exam. I think its not common practice in Taiwan for Gynos to examine ladies breasts like they do in the US. In the US, I think they are supposed to spend 30 seconds to a minute examining each breast for lumps and what not, but apparently not the norm in taiwan. So when this Taiwanese Gyno did that, he got his ass sued big time.

I think he spent most of his spare cash sponsoring a number of Korean, Cambodian and Vietnamese students in the US after he arranged for them to get to the US.

I don’t think he touched the attendant’s backside. I think he patted her on the outer thigh several times while he was seated and she was standing in front of him in a clumsy attempt to explain that he was being jostled and hit by carry on luggage as passengers went by him when he was sitting in his aisle seat. It was stupid to touch the attendant, no doubt. But, I don’t believe the accusation that he patted her backside.

I think he spent most of his spare cash sponsoring a number of Korean, Cambodian and Vietnamese students in the US after he arranged for them to get to the US.

I don’t think he touched the attendant’s backside. I think he patted her on the outer thigh several times while he was seated and she was standing in front of him in a clumsy attempt to explain that he was being jostled and hit by carry on luggage as passengers went by him when he was sitting in his aisle seat. It was stupid to touch the attendant, no doubt. But, I don’t believe the accusation that he patted her backside.[/quote]

I tend to agree. The stew shouldve been a bit more symphatetic. That may not have been his intent to touch her bum. People get nervous when they are about to fly, especially long distance. She shouldve just let it go I think.

But some chicks are more sensitive to a touch in that area. This Cathay Stewardess wouldnt let me pat her butt either…and I was her boyfriend :slight_smile:

No, guys, this was a simply NO way situation.

You do not sit in a flight attendants seat. No one else is authorized to do so. That act alone is enough of a misdemeanor. No, no, and no.

And no one is entitled to touch a flight attendant. Not the outer thigh, not afinger. Guys, remember you are 10 thousand feet above ground, that is a very dangerous situation. This is a very tense and possibly escalating conflict, and under NO circunstances, no matter what happened to him in Taiwan, is he EVER allowe dto touch, push or shove anyone.

It is not her fault that he was assigned that seat. And let me tell you, customer service ASSIGNS that seat to people who bug them or are rude to them or other passengers.

If it was a full flight, did he expect to be bumped up to first class on the basis of his pretty face? It is not the stewardess job not her fault that the seats are tight. Anyone with a bit of traveling can check seatguru.com and see if his seat is to his taste or not.

In summary, no circunstance allows for such disrespect. :fume:

The matter could have been handled much differently.

There is no sign indicating that nobody is to sit there, and I don’t know that this is a misdemeanor. The matter was really quite a simple one. The old man was there only while boarding was taking place and intended to return to his seat as soon as boarding was completed. In any event, he returned to his seat immediately upon be asked to do so.

Of course one can touch a flight attendant. So long as it isn’t inappropriate. Flight attendants frequently touch passengers, also.

This event occurred on the ground during boarding.

Nothing happened to him in Taiwan. He had a lovely time here and had hoped to return here to teach and to help Taiwanese students to get into US schools. He did nothing to escalate the situation, as there was no “situation”. He certainly did not push or shove anyone.

The Taiwan university that invited him to Taiwan arranged for his ticket to and from Taiwan. He had nothing to do with that transaction.

Not at all. He simply wanted to sit in the attendant’s seat until boarding was completed, at which time he intended to return to his seat before take-off.

He had no complaint about his seat. He simply wanted to avoid being bumped by carry on bags of others during the boarding proccess.

You have no idea whether he disrespected her or anyone else in Taiwan. In fact, he was extremely polite to the attendant, the airport security personnel, the Prosecutor and Judges and everyone else involved.

In fact, the Prosecutor at the airport apparently didn’t think much of the matter, as SHE sent it to the small claims court for adjudication and recommended the minimum fine of NT$ 3,000 and the judge agreed without even holding a hearing (this is normal at the first stage of small claims court in Taiwan).

You really should know better than to rely on media reports of an event.

Just curious, Tigerman, you speak about this incident as though you have knowledge not contained in the media reports. Do you? Have you spoken with the accused?

As for the NT$3000 comment, the first article I posted stated:

[quote]Kuo lay a charge of sexual harassment against Kaylor, who was fined NT$3,000 in July.

Kuo described the ruling as ridiculous and lodged an appeal. In the second trial, the case was settled on an agreement that Kaylor should pay NT$150,000 compensation.[/quote]

Do you know if that’s true?

Not that a settlement necessarily indicates guilt (people enter into “nuisance settlements” all the time, simply as a practical decision to end the damn thing), but I’m just curious.

I’m friends with a CAL trolley dolly who knows this woman personally and has worked with her. She described her as a complete golddigger who simply saw an opportunity to make a bit of extra cash. She’s also tried it before with other passengers and for other spurious reasons but was previously told by her management to “stop being so stupid.” This time, apparently, she managed to escalate it.

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]As for the NT$3000 comment, the first article I posted stated:

[quote]Kuo lay a charge of sexual harassment against Kaylor, who was fined NT$3,000 in July.

Do you know if that’s true? [/quote]

Yes, the first judge at the small claims court fined the Professor the minimum amount (NT$ 3,000) as recommended by the Prosecutor.

And the flight attendant did not appeal the ruling. She requested the Prosecutor to appeal and prosecutors in Taiwan usually appeal when requested to do so by an accuser.

The final judgment on appeal was again NT$ 3,000… the minimum criminal penalty for the alleged offense. However, the attendant, then filed a civil claim attached to the criminal case… this is possible under Taiwan procedure.

The Professor was not allowed to leave Taiwan during the criminal trial, which although was expedited, still took two months. Anyway, the system was able to keep the Professor in Taiwan until he agreed to a civil settlement of the matter. The Professor could have refused settlement of the civil claim, but he would not then have been certain as to when the order keeping him in Taiwan would have been lifted. So, he settled and went home the same day.

That’s how I heard it described.

I bet he won’t return either.

Well he was stupid to have touched her, and he shouldnt have done so for any reason.

That ought to learn him.

He has always wanted to return here.

Any reason? Come on. People touch each other all of the time. One simply needs to be very careful where one touches another.

Yeah, and everyone else, too.

Iv been on nearly 700 flights and I dont recall ever touching a stewardess? I dont think you need to have any contact physically with a flight attendant. He was wrong to pat her on the thigh or wherever he patted her. She way over reacted I believe, but that can happen. We cant control others but we can control ourselves. And he should not have touched anyone like that.

Well, I agree that he should not have touched her… but, as I stated above, the matter could have been handled in a better way.

The guy was not a dirty perv trying to cop a feel. Its too bad that the media made him out that way.