China bans independent tourism to Taiwan

80s were the so called Golden Years. There was no tourism, only a few selected places where Chinese culture lived on… and only Chinese culture.

At least now you can find souvenirs that say Taiwan. And more varied choices.

Tke it froms omeone who lived in a touristic destination place: you do not want that for Taiwan.

The US bans tourism to Cuba. Is it different?

But what is the reason for them to want to come? For your family, to see you. Idk what reasons the average person would use probably their one vacation a year and spend their saved up money to pick Taiwan.

I agree Taiwan as a lot of fine points that’s under looked. But there isn’t 1 thing it does well to get people to come.

1 Like

There are more westerners coming to Taiwan, for biking, hiking and/or visiting family that works or studies here. Most just love it. Some are just transiting and staying in Taiwan for a few days before continuing their ‘around-the-world-trip’.

food tourism? personally i would focus on that if i was on the tourism board or whatever. you could aim at overseas born asian kids alone and attract a shit load of people.
i see a lot of people going to japan too on my facebook. i think taiwan could offer a similar experience but cheaper and more rough and fun (you can’t even walk around eating street food in tokyo) around the edges. i think theres a lot of ways taiwan can be appealing.

1 Like

Most Asian tourists I see, especially from Japan, HK and South Korea are carrying their ‘food guide’ looking up the ‘famous’ eating spots.

1 Like

Taiwan should commission their own. It shouldn’t even be that hard to do.

1 Like

I saw the ads too, it part Air New Zealand promote with the AKL-TPE direct flights. I took the flights , on the flights I was one seems most of passengers are Taiwanese so ads did not work well. Kiwi more likely visit Hong Kong/ Singapore than Taiwan. (though HK news may scare some people off, there was HK students attacked by China students: https://www.stuff.co.nz/auckland/114669992/chinese-consulate-praises-auckland-university-students-in-scuffle-for-spontaneous-acts-and-deeds )

When you only speak Kiwi HK and Singapore are better.

So true. This ban and the trade war will be great for Taiwan. Wean off Chinese tourism and general dependency slowly but surely. It’s like Xi is doing Taiwan a favor because if the DPP did it the backlash would be immense.
If he was smart he would just cut all of it at once resulting in a huge shock leading to bankruptcy and capacity decrease instead of giving time to Taiwan to find alternatives.

2 Likes

Guys not rying to be rude but lets cut the shit.

Taiwan doesnt need tourist dollars. It needs international support. The only tourist money that is meaningful comes from countries with no balls and/or morals. Exception being japan. Given the situation in taiwan, i concede japan is alright.

Taiwan makes money on industry. Fine. Over and done with.

Taiwan needs western tourists like US needs Taiwan tourists. taiwan needs western tourists in the way hong kong does. For political and human rights suppor. Thats it, and will never be anything other than that. Taiwan needs international support. From all angles. There are lots of awesome things here to explore. When it comes to mountains we are far more extreme than thailand. Our endemic plant species rival anywhere as fo our fauna. But we dont have lots of cute cudly larger mammals so people skip us. Fine. But its not the point. We need (human) numbers, not eccentric hippies and addrenaline junkies’ support (though their support is truly welcomed).

If taiwan cares about long term independance from those chinese assholes, think stratigecally. We have the money still to make it work, stop wasting it on retarded sh*t. Make taiwan a green island and economically a powerhouse. Again this is so easy logistically relative to other countries. Its already well researched and feasible. We all know the global trends. Its what can make taiwan a powerhouse again within a few years. EASILY. No one attacks singapore for the same reasons taiwan could be. But taiwan can make it sustainable on a tiny land space with overpopulation and show the world through example instead of copy cat pollution bullshit…and do it while contesting china rather than bending over to it…singapore…

This is tiring how obvious and how dumb things are going. If anyone reading is in a position of influence, i (anf many of my family, friends and contacts) volounteer my time free of charge, though im mostly a logistical/biology guy. Lets make it happen instead of getting drunk at midnight and escaping into the internet…the island can do a lot. Lack of human will is crippling us :frowning:

3 Likes

"However, group tours and married couples are not affected by the ban on individual travel to Taiwan, leading some commentators online to give Li and Yang advice to marry as soon as possible.

Not understanding that the travel restrictions don’t applied to married couples, netizens also came up with travel suggestions for Wang Xiaofei and Barbie Hsu, Chen Xiao and Michelle Chen, and Nicky Wu and Liu Shishi. "

1 Like

Well, seems like it’s not too different from USA-Cuba tourist travel? Obviously not an expert here and not exactly sure how the rules have evolved over the past few years…

I’m sure that a few US citizens are upset about jumping through hoops, but in the grander scheme of things, does it really matter?

Totally different. Americans can choose their government and policies and can speak up against something they don’t like, or hate enough to actually take time to cause a scene.

The Chinese are F’d and have to follow government directions and have little recourse, if any against a law they don’t like.

4 Likes

LOL… Americans can choose their government… and President. And who did they choose?

I’m American

And I think that roughly 50% of (the voting) Americans are either really dumb, racist or greedy

That said, I would count myself as sort of greedy. Almost greedy enough to vote for that dmbass in the oval office… but would only consider it for maybe a few minutes or seconds. 100% sure that I wouldn’t vote for that whining snowflake

I didn’t put any judgement on the actual choices in my statement. They still have a choice. A choice of two or two hundred is still a choice. Nobody is out there tossing opposition lawmakers in prison or forcing them to disappear. Anyway, this is a topic about China and their recent action of banning tourism to Taiwan. Not a topic about whether or not the US made the right choice. That can be discussed in the Trump thread.

2 Likes

It’s a real shame that this gets thrown about so often nowadays.

Good luck making any friends in the real world when you call their mothers, fathers, children, and loved ones “really dumb, racist, or greedy”.

1 Like

100% agree. Let’s keep this topic on track. It’s not about the USA.

I personally know three people who voted for snowflake (based on what they told me, obviously cannot verify). One is my cousin, another is a former colleague (and friend) and the last is my sister in law (who I also consider a friend)…