China is picking quarrels and provoking trouble

I’m flattered, but why are you typing like me all of a sudden?

1 Like

Yeah, he definitely fucked up. Now, i think it is hard to back down, and also too late because the cat’s outta the bag

1 Like

The only thing I can think of is for Xi, he knows it’s not in his reach for a while. Taiwan for him is to pump up his domestic popularity and he doesn’t actually plan on an invasion anytime soon. Taiwan is merely a pawn he can bargain with in the international arena.

But who knows.

1 Like

They want it to happen sooner than some indefinite point in the future, without having to use the military.

1 Like

The pissing off of India part is quite helpful if it means tying up large parts of China’s military in the far west.

Well played, Xi!

Guy

3 Likes

Yeah, I’m curious to see how they try to mess with the next election here

They were pretty quiet last time.

2 Likes

How’d that work out for their preferred party?

I’m thinking misinformation and social media stuff of the sort that Russia used to give Trump a bump, not sabre rattling. So, not loud becausr that doesnt help, but messing nonetheless

Not well. I’m sure they have been trying to exploit those avenues and will continue to do so, certainly. I don’t think they’ll find such fertile ground for it here though, at least not at present.

2 Likes

That’s good. So, what are their other non military options?

Being dicks constantly

2 Likes

But that’s not gonna make it happen sooner or later!

It doesn’t hurt to try?

In this case, given just the Japanese developments, it seems it has

1 Like

If China really intends to invade Taiwan, it is going to have to make a massive investment in amphibious capability that dwarfs even its current buildup. While it is impossible to accurately assess the condition and organization of their logistics and support forces using open sources, it is entirely possible to look at their capacity instead of making assessments of capability. Using Operation Husky as a baseline to characterize the execution of a successful amphibious assault on an island, it is possible to make some degree of comparison that goes well beyond lists of fielded equipment.

All told, it’s entirely clear that China lacks the capacity to match the American assault wave against Sicily, to say nothing of the entire Allied effort that included British and Canadian forces. While an analysis of the carrying capacity of the commercial vessels belonging to China (and Hong Kong) is beyond the scope of this paper, these ships are next to useless in an assault phase and come into play only if adequate, intact port facilities are captured.

Furthermore, the degree of fire support required to deal with counterattacks against the beachhead is illustrated well by the successful American fire support off Gela, which today is impossible to replicate by any navy; even airpower lacks the capability to deliver the necessary volume of fire, particularly over time. And of course, the enemy gets a vote. The Americans landed among small towns manned by weak garrisons with a population that did not muster significant opposition and was unsympathetic to their own government. In Taiwan, as in Ukraine, invaders should realistically expect an aroused and angry population with a sizable and modern military willing to contest every inch of heavily urbanized territory. It’s here where the comparison to Sicily breaks down, and capacity questions aside, the idea of landing into an urban area and expecting any other result than an early and bloody defeat seems ludicrous. China would be lucky were it in a position akin to Allied forces when they assaulted Sicily.

4 Likes

War Game for Chinese invasion of Taiwan

This is a long one.

1 Like

Are either of them worth watching? I can read faster than they can speak, and usually these jinds of videos don’t have much new information, and they leave out some things that i think are important…

2 Likes

I just read the comments below the videos. More of an education.

1 Like

Good thing about reading the comments here us I’ve learned which authors aren’t worth much effort