China is picking quarrels and provoking trouble

Pretty sure it happened once before

Not a very usual thing then?

Well they sure have Japanā€™s attention, making it more and more certain that any attempt to undermine Taiwan will be viewed as an attempt to undermine Japanā€™s security.

As always, Beijing is doing a great job of uniting the neighbourhood against it.

Guy

Theyā€™re just getting up to speed with carrier operations. Itā€™s probably intended as a provocation, if that matters.

Right, like turning it without stalling.

2 Likes

No. Way. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Or as i like to call it

Iā€™m shocked! Shocked I tell ya!

1 Like

In case your head is still buried in the sand somewhere:

Guy

1 Like

Trifecta?

Also, boards donā€™t hit back.

1 Like

This is sensible, nothing revelatory

What Is China Learning From Russiaā€™s War in Ukraine? America and Taiwan Need to Graspā€”and Influenceā€”Chinese Views of the Conflict

1 Like

I think theyā€™re learning that Russiaā€™s aggression and the economic sanctions it has incurred will wreck China should they just build up and invade Taiwan.

Letā€™s hope so.

3 Likes

I definitely agree that China has most likely seen this as a warning. The authorā€™s argument that the US didnā€™t intervene directly because of nukes doesnā€™t acknowledge other possibilities, such as perhaps they saw this as a possible distraction from Taiwan and didnā€™t want to commit to Ukraine at the expense of Taiwan which is arguably more important to American interests now.

But other points I think are wise, like Xi will not give up but will learn from this, and the US and Taiwan should do the same

I came here thinking there was at least 5 years where I didnā€™t need to worry. Iā€™ll add another 5 because of Ukraine and other developments. After that, letā€™s see what things look likeā€¦

2 Likes

They are still disappearing people.

2 Likes

I donā€™t know how much either side can learn. An invasion and war with modern and well equipped militaries will be unlike anything weā€™ve seen. It wonā€™t be like Ukraine.

It could last a few weeks with both sides just throwing as much ammo at each other and taking each otherā€™s tech and satellite out or it could last years after the first few weeks/months of just heavy causalities.

We donā€™t know what it will be like, reallyā€¦ best laid plans and all that

And I believe it will be the first major conflict with nuclear powers assuming the US jumps in. India could also be in play.

Letā€™s hope it doesnā€™t come to that

1 Like

Iā€™ve said this before, I donā€™t get Chinaā€™s strategy. If I was Xi, I would just stay quite on Taiwan while building up his military. Lull the west and Taiwan for the time being and then just come. Why put everyone on high alert and make enemies of your neighbors and piss off the west?