China Post: Bus Crash Near Chiayi

This is from today’s China Post:

[quote]A tour bus drove off a road as it was heading towards Alishan and crashed into a utility pole yesterday, leaving three dead and 26 injured.

Police said the accident took place at around 9:30 a.m. yesterday at the 59-kilometer mark of Route 18, near a gas station.[/quote]

The article also said it was near Jiayi, and said the passengers were emergency rescue volunteers and their families.

chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/local/ch … 3-dead.htm

[quote=“Charlie Jack”]This is from today’s China Post:

[quote]A tour bus drove off a road as it was heading towards Alishan and crashed into a utility pole yesterday, leaving three dead and 26 injured.

Police said the accident took place at around 9:30 a.m. yesterday at the 59-kilometer mark of Route 18, near a gas station.[/quote]

The article also said it was near Jiayi, and said the passengers were emergency rescue volunteers and their families.

chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/local/Ji … 3-dead.htm[/quote]

In C h i a y i County, not far from where I live (30 mins ) in Alishan. Near C h i a y i… not. An hour away or more on a weekend with a lot of tourist traffic.

Wow, I don’t even remember writing that post. I’m answering the response to it because I got a notification that led me here (well, that and because “I got no deeds to do, no promises to keep.” )

I was kinda scratching my head at why I was notified, but my wild guess is that the issue is revealed here:

I would like to point out, ever so gently, that I wasn’t stating that I believed that the accident was near Chiayi City, but rather that the China Post stated that it was:

“3 dead, 26 hurt in tour bus crash,” China Post, December 13, 2010 (Internet Archive copy)

The article also says that according to police, the accident happened “at the 59-kilometer mark near a gas station.”

Google Maps shows a gas station a few kilometers away from the 59-kilometer mark.

Because of the word at, I’m going to use the 59-kilometer mark (rather than the near gas station) as a starting point, and eastern Chiayi City as a destination. Google Maps gives that a distance of 33.7 kilometers, which would be about 21 miles. I don’t know, is that considered far?

I once read a trial transcript which contained the testimony of an alleged kidnap victim. Her description of the route taken by her and her friend’s alleged kidnappers prompted counsel for defense to ask her, “Did y’all go by y’all’s houses?” She answered, “No, because ___________ is a small subdivision.” I went over to the street in question and drove from it to one of their houses. Obeying the speed limit and stopping at a stop sign, I think it took about a minute. But I guess that the alleged victim meant that, relative to the size of the subdivision, neither of their houses was “by” the route the alleged kidnappers took.

Is that somehow the way that the accident was not near Chiayi City?

In the other poster’s defense, though, Google Maps says it would take 54 minutes. So I guess it was far in terms of time.

Oh, now I get it: @tando changed the tag. Well, then, belay my last, and carry on. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’ve driven that route a few times last month. It’s a very windy curvy road and could be foggy where you can’t see anything in front of you or could be a view of mountain range.

It tends to seem like a long drive after you start climbing the mountain because a lot of places going ~30 km an hour, twist backs, traffic sometimes.

And not a lot of identifying landmarks like towns or 7-Eleven so it gives the impression it’s a long distance because you’re not accomplishing a goal like the next town or passing it landmark.

1 Like

By the way side note for mods, it’s really very hard to identify hot links in this format. I didn’t even notice it was a link until I was trying to highlight it to copy.

So basically, @Satellite_TV was right, and I was wrong. :slight_smile: Apologies to everyone, seriously.

And now that I think of it, if a person is seriously injured, an hour’s drive to the hospital is not good.

Wow, fog, on top of the other conditions. I don’t drive, but if I did, I think the fog, added to the other things you mentioned, would put me off driving on that stretch of road.

And I would never take a bus or train to Alishan, higher rates of accidents on both. Seems like at least once a year people die when a bus screams down the mountain or a train derails. Sometimes bus is okay but it knocks a car off that mountain.

1 Like

I think technically the area where the accident is not even Chiayi county. It’s Zhuqi township.

1 Like

Wikipedia puts Zhuqi in Chiayi County.

1 Like

According to Taiwanese. Across the street is too far.

1 Like

Someone screwed with the tags, I got a notice from a post in 2006 and it said ‘tag changed’.

1 Like

We’re not screwing with the tags. We’re helping to organise them in order to make the site more searchable and organised for our friends nationwide.

3 Likes

There are posts popping up from 2005!

Unless it is @tango42’s, I’m now skipping most threads with zero reply that are bumped by edit.

I kinda like seeing these old threads brought to the surface.

They are tagging everything to get a better search result, so all old posts that are tagged are popping up now.

1 Like