China 'takes over' important British chip plant?

Who is preventing you from protesting China’s investments in Britain

“How dare these people protest about things they care about, instead of things I care about but am too lazy to protest?”

Britain’s not my country though my parents were anglophiles. I think I watched more British TV via PBS than American shows, BBC World Service was always on, read more English books than a American,. Dorothy L Sayers, Conan Doyle, PG Wodehouse…

I even got in trouble spelling some words the wrong way in Junior high School.

But I have no right to protest.

Actually I have a Sherlock Holmes question for my youth. In a scene from one of the novels inspector lestrade, Sherlock Holmes and Dr Watson go for stakeout.
Inspector lestrade brings his rubber.
As a 16-year-old boy I wondered what the heck were three grown men doing on a stakeout with a rubber. I know now that rubber could possibly mean eraser but still I found it strange.

Reality check. Protesting via writing a sign and standing outside a building doesnt work. Money works. The ultimate protest is starting a business, becoming huge and not allowing genocidal maniacs to share your pie. Or, work for such a company. Simple. Hard work, sure, but not that complicated. Plus you get massive rewards as a business person.

Breaking news: China is buying up everything strategically in order to overthrow everyone. (same story since at least the 1980s). Repeat every week even until now…

This just in! Everyone is complaining about this obvious chinese oppression while still actively choosing to buy made in china while knowing exactly where their money is going. Feminists, environmentalists, world health bodies, human rights activists etc etc. Mind-fucking-BOGGLING!

To those such people living in the world of hypocrtsies and justifications for their own selfishness, i say fuck right off and open your friggen eyes. Or, at least, shut your mouth.

Money talks, stop pretending one person doesnt make a difference and use this moronic scape goat as an excuse to not put any effort into your life. Lazy idiots that support pain and misery deserve the CCP.

Yes, and do you see how cancel culture works. I beg to differ that real lawful civil disobedience can really change something.
I’ve done my part to try to buy as little Chinese goods as possible but it’s almost impossible.

So you are kind of echoing what I see. People will choose to support the current path.
It’s easy and I’m not much better. But we had laws to prevent us from becoming weak.
Those laws were abolished. Why? With Facebook Twitter and the rest we’re back at the Monopoly time that existed in the '60s and early 70s. It’s hard to start a competitive business.
I did my part and I have dropped Facebook for almost 6 months.
I may go back again under a pseudonym but I’m trying to resist.

1 Like

Well, sure. I never said starting a business isnt hard. I only said it isnt complicated. hard work on your own terms should be considered a privilege. Seems many people in modern times find it a negative…

I was in Carrefour the other day. every single fridge is not made in china. The efforts of many do make a difference. Last year, same store only 1 or 2 were not made in china. People can knit pick that components are still made there etc, but this is a good direction. rome wasnt built in a day. buying things that are not made in chinaare actually quite easy. might take longer, but not hard. When really i cannot, i buy second hand, eg my last 4 or 5 cell phones. We need to put in the bare minimum as individual people rather than always expect others to slave away for us. Purchases i view as the BARE minimum that everyone can do with very few legitimate excuses. In my mind, it takes a pretty entitled person to care about looking more, or waiting longer or buying a slightly smaller, older, slower or whatever in order to not directly pay the newest nazis. Frankly we should be doing WAY more, but this is something everyone can do an have little to no justifications to do otherwise.

it is honestly amazing how china is not treated harsher when compared to say the decades long embargo cuba got. This bandaid that is the enabling of the CCP is going to hurt like a real SOB when we finally wake up and pull it off.

2 Likes

What laws? Laws preventing imports from China?

I know that US intelligence units often used machinery with old Pentium chips about a decade ago. Newer processors hadn’t undergone enough scrutiny to be considered secure. I wouldn’t be surprised if they were using in house ARM chips now though. Maybe @Poundsand can chime in.

The last guy who actually tried to do something about the Chinese takeover was run out of town in disgrace for increasing the prices of everyone’s Chinese gadgets.

1 Like

Laws against exporting technology.
Advanced rocket technology was exported to China during the Clinton administration. Rules were waved because China and the company transferring the technology assured the regulators that this technology was for civilian/peaceful purposes. This technology made it into military projects.
There were hearings and charges about the technology being leaked but no punishment or fines were made. Dates and names are out of my memory but I’m sure someone will know who I’m talking about.
Laws against foreign ownership of critical resources including manufacturer, agriculture and media.
And others…

1 Like

If the rest of the world is so stupid, why blame the Chinese.

1 Like

And that’s why there were laws.

Looks like the law was stupid. Good faith & honesty doesn’t work with them.

But at the end of the day, it’s just greed. Why were rules waived? Since someone wanted something in return. With China, that’s going to be cheap goods and labor.

1 Like

They also stolen jewels from their colonies (I.e. India).
What goes around comes around I guess.

Feature size isn’t necessarily the most important consideration. If these guys make power semiconductors then inevitably it’s all based on large feature sizes. What’s more important is that they have process technology that can work the black magic that those devices require. Integrated power devices are damn tricky to design and build, and I bet the Chinese don’t have access to such secrets.

If you’re building missiles and whatnot, then advanced power semiconductors are even more critical than the computing platform (avionics are invariably based on ancient CPUs anyway because they’re well-understood, more reliable, and available in rad-hard or extended-temperature variants). If you can shave a few ounces off the motor/actuator drive systems or make them more robust, that’s a win.

Anyway, I’m just glad the Chinese haven’t taken over production of these, as I first feared on reading the title:

That would be a disaster for British culture.

There are few things that even the CCP is above, that my friend is one of them…

Hmmm, I can’t speak to what processors are generally used on systems today, or even the isa, but they do tend to be lower power systems, built by u.s. suppliers, running a real time os. The chips tend to not be state of the art in terms of performance.

Intel had (does?) build hardened versions of their processors for space and defense. For reference, the f-22 used a 80960 when first deployed, iirc (I’m sure it’s been upgraded).

There’s an entire book on it, “The Year of the Rat”. It is available to read online at archive.org (inb4 that gets yanked by some Sword-and-Shield-of-the-Party type). Bill Clinton took a ton of campaign contributions from China (direct violation of federal law) for his 1996 reelection campaign in a rather obvious quid-pro-quo for upgrading Chinese missile technology. But at least he didn’t tweet mean things!

Oh, for the “citation needed” / “I don’t believe you” crowd:

It even has citations in it! You can read it for free! How’s that for service?!

No different, really, from Hillary setting up her own private email server which she used for sending around classified material, resulting in, among other things, China and Russia getting everything she sent or got sent. But “no reasonable prosecutor” would go after her for that because the prosecutor would wind up committing suicide by shooting himself in the back of the head a couple of times, rolling himself up in a carpet, and transporting himself to Fort Marcy Park, then tastefully arranging himself before expiring.

LETTERS TO THE EDITOR (The Times of London)

Dear Sir,

I am firmly opposed to the spread of microchips either to the home or to the office. We have more than enough of them foisted upon us in public places. They are a disgusting Americanism, and can only result in the farmers being forced to grow smaller potatoes, which in turn will cause massive unemployment in the already severely depressed agricultural industry.

Yours faithfully,
Capt. Quinton D’Arcy, J. P.
Sevenoaks

3 Likes

Par for the course brony. IIRC (and I followed this pretty closely, but maybe something subsequently came out after initial disclosures), there were a only a handful of emails that were marked (c), and a few dozen emails that were unmarked and deemed classified. More were retroactively classified. relevant was that she was sent those emails, and I don’t recall it ever being stated she sent any. Also relevant is that much of the classified info was supposedly in the public domain. Nobody, but nobody is being prosecuted for something like that. Compare what Clinton did to what Gen Petraeus did (purposely removed and passed on classified information to his lover, revealed top secret info to multiple reporters, and lied to the fbi about it) and the slap on the wrist he received, and tell me you think she should’ve been prosecuted and received jail time.

We’re just lucky Guccifer discovered Clinton II was using a home computer for conducting high level government business when he did. Who knows what sort of disaster would have befallen the country if she’d continued to use a home computer for government business after she’d become president.

damn. i didn’t know that the Chinese liked salt and vinegar. I hope they keep making that flavor, instead of pig’s ass flavor.

British chips, right?