🇨🇳 China - Yunnan | Help a bear get to China

I don’t travel to China often, but when I was there several years ago, there also seemed to be some kind of strict taxi checking at the airport. I was flying through Shanghai, I think, and needed to stay one night in an airport hotel. I took a taxi from the airport to the nearby hotel, and as I recall, there was a brightly-lit, gated police checkpoint before the taxi could leave the airport, they asked where we were going, and a photo was taken of the car and maybe the occupants as well. I seem to vaguely recall that the police may have even directed a question at me to make sure the taxi driver’s stated destination was the same as my stated destination. Not sure if all of this is normal, or if there was some heightened security at that time.

There was also some fuss at the hotel check-out the following morning, in that you had to present some piece of paper at the front desk that they had given you on the previous night, or else they wouldn’t let you check out. Fortunately I had kept the paper and I could check out, but I saw that another traveler had already discarded that paper (whatever it was) and they wouldn’t let him check out. “Papers, please.”

1 Like

Dunno. I’m the wrong person to ask as I don’t have one of those.

I went to China recently, stayed at a few different hotels and it was pretty quick to check in and out and nothing special needed apart from passport. Though I only stayed at western brands like Marriott, Ritz, Westin, Sheraton, Four Points etc. I stayed at a friend’s place for part of the trip and didn’t register. At Marriott brands I used the self checkout box.

On many past trips I stayed with a friend or relative for 2-4 weeks and never registered and nothing came of it. I still have a 10 year visa (2nd time getting approved). I don’t think they care unless you get in trouble and they can use it against you.

Shanghai has an online website for foreigners to self register now.

1 Like

Yes you do, though in practice people don’t follow it strictly. I don’t even follow it while on a tourist visa. Just don’t get in trouble since it’s probably the first thing cops will check.

Temporary Residence Registration in China - A Guide for Foreigners.

“According to the Exit and Entry Administration Law of the People’s Republic of China, all foreigners in China are required to register their place of residence or temporary accommodation with the local police within 24 hours of arrival at the address. This applies to all foreign nationals in China, as well as Hong Kong, Macao, and Taiwan residents, whether you are in China for a short-term visit, such as for tourism or business, or living in China long-term for work, study, or family.”

TPTB know where you are anyway. A measure like that sounds like it’s for keeping the taxi drivers in line (preventing scams and fare disputes). :2cents:

Are you sure that wasn’t the deposit receipt?

Yes, but it’s more laced than with “real foreigners”. You can go to any hotel and check in, they will note down your details. Had a problem once since she booked in a cheaper hotel in Shanghai, but they couldn’t register me as a foreigner while she was ok, they had to call a police car to register me manually… And they agreed to do that after a lot of shouting

1 Like

Start bleaching your fur in large splotches until those splotches turn white. Leave eyes, ears and legs black. Leave a large black stripe on back that extends to forelegs.

Reduce all desire to have sex to zero.

1 Like

Let’s be real there are no undiscovered places in China. But there must still be a lot of really cool places to visit. That valley sure looks amazing. Are there actual wild animals left in China :slight_smile:
The hassle factor has increased even though it’s easier to get around these days by train and airplane. It’s also not cheap paying for their visas.
Been thinking about going to Yunnan with family but it’s so vast not sure where to start.

Most Chinese live fairly close to their eastern coast. Anything northwest, Tibet, and such has very low population density. The actual inhabitable area of china isn’t very large. I think there was a line drawn diagonally across china and 90 percent of the population lives to the east of that line.

There’s a lot of nature in inner Mongolia for example. Then there’s the haliluija mountains from avatar. That is based on a real place in china.

Hallelujah indeed.

Sorry I did not remember how to spell it and autocorrect wasn’t helping me.

Black snub nosed monkey is on my list. Just up the road from Lijiang.

1 Like

Related question here - if I have a 10 year visa in an old passport can that still be used to enter China?

Does anyone know what would happen if one didn’t register and were found out?

That happened to me about ten years ago in China - I stayed in a “hotel” which wasn’t actually a hotel but more like an AirBnb type of thing, but young me thought I wouldn’t need to register with the police.

Well, there were some issues with a foreigner in the city and the police started doing random inspections and they “caught” me without the necessary registration paper in my passport. In the end, I had to pay a fine (EDIT: Looked it up: It was 500 RMB) and sign a “confession” that I didn’t know that I needed to register. The “hotel” owner was also fined eventually from what I heard.

Now I am thinking about visiting China next year (with the recently announced visa-free travel) wondering if that might cause any issues even though lots of time has passed since then… :thinking:

Should be fine.

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

They have visa free travel?

1 Like

I did not know that! Nice. I’m part of this.

But I already have a 10 year visa that gives me a longer stay.

Which passport to use hmmm…

They must be really hurtin for tourists. They scared all the foreigners away.

1 Like

You’ve been learning Tibetan for 34 years?

1 Like

Visiting China is a pain now as a foreigner tourist.

Need to go through special foreigner passport inspections for things as simple as going into parks. So forget about leaving your passport at home.

WeChat is mostly closed off for foreigners, with limited use of foreign cards for select merchants. Cant transfer or hold money in WeChat without a local bank account.

Can’t use Dianping. The first thing people do at a restaurant is usually order on dianping for half the price. It’s like the google maps review of china, even Apple Maps sources reviews and links to dianping. And when you as a tourist click on a link you’re presented with a blocking sign in page that says no foreigners and can’t even read the reviews for the restaurant.