China's journey to becoming a green country

Not really about International politics, and not sure what’s the scale o this, but…

:joy:. This does kind of feel like chabuduoism though. I can name a lot of similarly idiotic moves that the Taiwanese government has made. I can’t really point to anything in the US though — there’s too many people at the top politically who are proud of what the US has done to destroy the planet…

I have no doubt this sort of thing happens, but I think China has also belatedly realised that they’ve royally fucked up their environment and need to fix it.

My guess is that the tree-stapling and green netting stunts are happening under the direction of backwater local governments. IMO party central is rather more aware of the reality and is making some efforts to do something about it. There are some genuine re-greening efforts to reclaim heavily-degraded land, for example. How successful these are is another question - they’re most likely a bit hit-and-miss due to a combination of corruption and lack of expertise/experience.

How did you stumble over it? The video is already 6 month old. I remember some conversations about it on Forumosa before. But it usually goes in to a debate about the guys who made the video.

YT feed.