China's military activities near Taiwan said to be war preparation

Recent frequent incidents in which Chinese military aircraft have flown close to Taiwan indicate that Beijing is preparing for a “partial, limited and non-nuclear war” in the Taiwan Strait, a retired Taiwanese vice admiral said Tuesday.

Kung Chia-cheng (龔家政), former head of the Chung-Shan Institute of Science and Technology, said at an event marking the 72nd anniversary of the end of World War II that the recent Chinese military maneuvers show that China is preparing for a scenario of war in the Taiwan Strait.

I don’t know, I have weathered the Chinese threats and actions for the last 20 years from both sides of the Strait, but something start to tell me the coming years will be decisive.
Maybe I am just getting old and paranoid …

How do they intend to take Taiwan if it’s only a limited partial war activity. I would assume it would need to be more sustained

Because they target islands (some uninhabited, some inhabited) outside of the TRA. No one could or would do anything except write a strongly worded letter to the UN, especially if it involved uninhabited islands.

i.e. it’s not an attempt to take Taiwan, it’s progressive incrementalism, just the right circumstances and conditions don’t exist for them to do this now, Actually Tsai IMO has handled cross strait relations very well, China would need to be “provoked” into ramping up tensions to 11 before they could pull this move.

1 Like

This is probably closer to the mark. It’s definitely the standard Chinese modus operandi: that little bit is ours; and that little bit now; oh, and that bit too …

Can’t see any actual huge war kicking off right now. Not with the fat boy to the North throwing his toys out of the pram lately.

1 Like

They’re doing the same with India.
I’m always surprised by the fact we never hear any issues from the borders with all the several (whatever)stans to their West, it wouldn’t be hard to try and push the border there using the good old:“In this 38753386 years old document it says this land belonged to China” excuse.

1 Like

a war with NK would be a good time for china to start a war with Taiwan as the US would have its hands full.

I prefer to think of it as “incremental progression”, but that’s just me.:wink:

Actually, they may be waiting for a power outage of 50% or more, it would make invading a lot easier. As long as they make sure their phones are fully charged beforehand.

2 Likes

Sounds like regular training flights to me, US, Russia do similar stuff in the Baltics, Alaska, South China Sea, etc. There has been no breaching of sovereign airspace, and ADIZs are largely meaningless and have no legal basis.

1 Like

Ah, this makes the game more interesting for the key players…the US and China. For the US, do you defend Taiwan, or attack North Korea? For China, the reverse.

Personally, I think China could take this island, and it would be pretty quick, and no one would or even could do anything about it.

you seem to have a fantasy about getting taken over by china, nobody thinks taiwan would win but would not do anything?? ramblings.

1 Like

What is anyone going to do? The ROC military trying to stop a full onslaught of the PLA/N/AF would be like trying to stop a flood with your hands.
Th Chinese have NK to keep Trump busy, Taiwan is more or less theirs for the taking. Between NK and TW, the Chinese are poised to make Trump look very weak and ineffective. Deal with an idiot who has primitively missiles, or save 23 million people from certain death. Hmmmm…

Not that he needs their help…

1 Like

China is no dummy. It will bide its time. And Taiwan will eventually get closer to China. Unless of course the present govt of China itself falls apart. Because how to keep the boom going in China long term?

what are they going to do if war starts? oh i don’t know, maybe attacks, killing, bombings all the usual things that happen in WAR. seriously i never knew war meant sit on your ass, do nothing and passively let the other side win.

They guaranteed the economy to be self-sustainable the moment they dropped the full communist system.
The fact that they’re basically colonizing some areas in Africa also helps.

1 Like

That is effectively what will happen. It will be like a shoe crushing a cockroach. Maybe I am giving too much cred to the PLA, but i really do not think it will be much of a fight.

Then the gangs can come in and fill the void left by the bigger gangs leaving.

Plus I doubt the conscripted soldiers who don’t even want to be there are going to put up any fight.

There is that, too.

I mean, come on. The police here get bullied by kids with bats. What is their military going to do with the full brunt of the PRC coming at them? And there is no reason to believe the PRC will not go all out on this.

am i missing something or are taiwan not going to be bombing mainland citys if war ever breaks out? i see what you are saying with not much of fight being put up if taiwan gets invaded, but how much missiles do you need to majorly fuck up citys with populations of 23 million?