Chinese appliance and power tool voltage

Beware if you buy any appliance or power tools online, whether it’s in Taiwan or in the US, that they are often 220v. So if you bought a soldering iron on Amazon and it doesn’t get hot enough to do the job, chances are it will work right if plugged into a 220 outlet!

I say this because I bought a soldering iron on ebay in the US and it wasn’t getting hot at all, and it turns out those were designed to work on 220 even though the site description says 110v!

I bought another heat gun here in Taiwan that did this… it would not get hot enough (maybe a little hotter than a hair dryer) and when I plugged it into a 220v outlet, it worked as normal!

1 Like

You can request to get 220 sockets if you buy a place preconstruction.

I can install that myself.

The heat gun will be used close to my milling machine, and the machine itself has a circuit breaker and so I can just tie it off of that (2 of the 3 phases = 220v)

1 Like

Youre lucky that its not the other way around. We had a Taiwanese Couple visit us in Australia a few years ago, one brought a Hair Dryer along. On day 2 there was a sudden shriek from the bathroom, then a very quick exit by the lady concerned, at the same time that the smoke alarms went off. Yep, 110v Hair Dryer was plugged into a 230v socket and turned on…Hair Dryer was quickly cremated. Took a couple of hours to rid the place of the electrical burning smell.

1 Like

I read most airplanes with AC outlet always use 110v for this reason. Basically if you plugged in a 220v appliance the worst that can happen is it doesn’t work. But if you plug a 110v appliance to a 220v socket, explosions.

Update… that heat gun blew a piece of the heating coil and now will blow air but heating coil is dead.

I’m in the process of getting an exchange.

That’s why there are 110 v and 220 v plugs.