Chinese domain names

Has anyone started buying chinese (character) domain names?

(sound of crickets)

1 Like

Sound of crickets? I donā€™t get it.

crickets only make chirp when thereā€™s no one around, so ~sound of crickets~ means you are aloneā€¦

Iā€™ve puchased several already. The Chinese domain names are easier to remember for the locals. Works well for your personal or business site!!

Terrific. But theyā€™re parked for now, right? What are the professionalsā€™ opinions on when theyā€™re going to start resolving?

Iā€™m just curious about how one chooses a chinese domain name. We know that short and memorable is best for alpha numeric, but would short in Chinese be a character with few strokes? And why does it seem that the Chinese prefer the .tw extension? Why not just go for the .com if itā€™s available?

I donā€™t think Iā€™m going to be buying these up or anything but I sure am curious about how it works.

Where can one buy or check for a Chinese domain name?

In my opinionā€¦how to use Chinese character domain namesā€™ a bit confusingā€¦
For example the hit tw Tv show

[quote=ā€œscoffeecatsā€]In my opinionā€¦how to use Chinese character domain namesā€™ a bit confusingā€¦
For example the hit tw Tv show

Back to my question, are these domains parked, or are they already resolving? I thought it would be a while before they started resolving.

.TWs and .CCs are already resolved.

.CCs were the first to be resolved. :!:

Just thought of a couple more questions. A name that begins with the first letters of the alphabet are good for getting listed in the beginning of a directory of example. How would one apply this to Chinese (I donā€™t know how to use a Chinese dictionary yet)?

Do all chinese character domains have to have the ā€˜chineseā€™ extensions, like .tw for example? Or are there chinese character .com , .net , .org ?

Havenā€™t figured that out yet?

Just .tw and .cc can be registered in Chinese characters. For example: [b]

Havenā€™t figured that out yet? [/quote]

Welll, um, er, no, I just memorized my bopomofo and um, er, the tutor is going to show me how to use a dictionary, and um, its on my To Do list. :blush:

NEWS FLASH: You can now register Internationalized Domain Names in com/net. Lots of good chinese names still available!

jlick, have you bought any domain names (chinese) and what do they cost per year? Where did you buy?

They cost exactly what regular com/net names cost: $10-35 per year depending on who you register from. Iā€™m a domain reseller, so I registered them through my own reseller account. Any registrar or reseller can do it, just only a few know how to do the punycode encoding. joker.com/ has a conversion tool on their ā€˜register domainsā€™ page. I registered a few including å°ę¹¾.com. Yeah, itā€™s simplified characters, but the traditional version and the mixed version were already taken. Also got å¤œč²“å­.com and 黎å»ŗęŗ„.com (my chinese name) plus my wife and daughterā€™s names. Iā€™ve gotten confirmations but they arenā€™t active in the root servers or in whois yet. Already have a couple of them setup for testing and Mozilla 1.5 handles sticking in Chinese URLs on the location bar, but IE6 seems not to handle it. Iā€™ll give an update once things actually go through.

Can you suggest a few registrars that we could go to get started right away? ā€¦ with links.

OK, looks like my registrations went through. If your browser supports it you should be able to cut and paste the following link into your browser:

黎建ęŗ„.com/

Unfortunately forumosa.com doesnā€™t seem to want to treat that as a URL no matter what futzing about with URL tags I try. Bummer.

Current versions of Opera and Mozilla support IDN out of the box. For Internet Explorer, you have to download a plugin from idnnow.com/

As for registrars, godaddy.com/. I usually donā€™t do registrations except for clients, but if you have nowhere else to go, you can PM me for help.

Doesnā€™t resolve on my English version of Opera!?