Chinese Invasion: What do you do?

Pick up a weapon and fight?
:eh:
What is this, the Middle Ages?

The war, if it ever happens, would be over before any of us would have time to react. My weapon of choice would be to set up a breakfast stand close to where troops were billeted.

With loads of free condiments........

I’d be looking forward to getting a lot of high-paying work translating the puppet government’s efforts to spin the situation in a positive light for international consumption. I might be able to double my basic per-character translation rate for it.

:laughing: Goodness, we’ve been here so long we’ve taken on the robust pragmatism (cough opportunism cough) of the Sons of the Yellow Emperor. My younger version would have been relishing fire and steel, but I’ve been corrupted, made effete by the decadent Orient. Alas.

I didn’t say whose side I would fight on though :wink:

If there was a war with China and the Chinese army invaded Taiwan the “last” thing you’d need to worry about is the Chinese army. In the ensuing chaos, it’s the locals that would do you in. Not all of them, not even a majority, but quite a few.

Wow, I don’t remember any of that. I must have been really hungover that day.

Wow, I don’t remember any of that. I must have been really hungover that day.[/quote]

Gosh, Poagao, are you getting senile or what? Don’t you even remember the PLA brigade that got wiped out in an ambush by taxi drivers down Linsen North Road?

Actually this would be a real problem for me and I’m not even in Taiwan. HK ID card holders can be prosecuted for treason if they help the Taiwanese in the event of a conflict - does feeding my wife and child count?

Wow. That’s a cool little law. When did they pass that one? Is that in the Basic Law, post takeover, or is it PRC law that just happens to also apply to HK?

Your competition (local Taiwanese editors with pro-China sympathies) would probably be feeding them your Forumosa 2004 election posts.
:wink:

Wow, I don’t remember any of that. I must have been really hungover that day.[/quote]

Gosh, Poagao, are you getting senile or what? Don’t you even remember the PLA brigade that got wiped out in an ambush by taxi drivers down Linsen North Road?[/quote]

Oh yeah, I remember that one. I was taking pictures of drunk businessmen nearby, but after all the chaos I felt like I needed a drink, so I went to one of those bars full of foreigners saying they’d “pick up a gun and fight the commies if they ever invaded.”

I’d just go hang out with Tainan Cowboy. :smiley:

Your competition (local Taiwanese editors with pro-China sympathies) would probably be feeding them your Forumosa 2004 election posts.
:wink:[/quote]

No fears there, Chewy. There’s no competition from locals for that kind of work. And I already have very good relations with all the right people, such as cross-strait negotiator P.K. Chiang and cross-strait common market proponent Vincent Siew. I’ve even recently helped Lien Chan by translating his speech for the closed-door APEC Leaders’ Meeting in Singapore. I know which side my bread’s buttered on, and I’m partial to lashings of butter.

Hasn’t anyone thought that maybe we expats could organise together and do something?

We could arrange a boycott of Chinese made goods. That would teach them…

:ponder: Boycotting stuff from China basically means starving and not buying anything at all in Taiwan…

OK, in that case we’ll boycott stuff we don’t need. That will have the Chinese quaking in their boots

Like computers? Um, you first.

Hmmn, maybe if we boycott stuff we don’t need and don’t want…

Don’t be daft, Chinese invasion :laughing:

Okay, let’s say there were one, I’d come over with them to plunder your stocks of Taiwan beer and night market snacks!

OK! I will not buy anything I don’t need or want from China until the regime is on its knees! :braveheart: