Chinese Invasion: What do you do?

Okay, so its a sucky rainy day and I am bored, so I’m brainstorming about what would happen if there was a Chinese invasion. You’re just some English teacher trying not to get killed. Would you head for the hills? Flock to the AIT or your country’s de facto embassy? Would you join the ROC army and fight back? I’m not talking about the big politics about cross-strait intrigue. I’m just wondering what it would be like for the average English teacher here. I reckon taipei wouldn’t be carpet bombed or anything, but it could get pretty ugly.

I think I’d be trying to get my wife out of the country while her passport is still recognized overseas.

I’d be hiding the dogs and working out how to keep them out of the hungry army’s way.

Yep. And my kids whilst their dual nationality is still recognized.

Wouldn’t there be hordes of people at the airport though? Take a boat?

Heading to Songshan Airport to catch (charter - commandeer?) a quick flight to the Philippines makes the most sense. It’s doubtful the PRC (Profiteers Raiding Corpses for organs) would bother with that country.

As a last gasp, maybe head to Green Island and stay out of the way. It’s not like the PRC would send thousands of feet there.

Run? Are you crazy? I’d pick up a weapon and fight.

No wonder a hypothetical Chinese invasion will be so successful. I bet the majority of Taiwanese military personnel will drop their weapons and flee too.

Yeah, like I’d dream, even for a moment, of depriving my girls of a father to defend the Republic of Corruption. I mean China. And if the brave young men of Taiwan can’t be counted upon to defend their homeland to the death, then why should middle-aged foreigners with families? :loco:

It will be like being in an earthquake, it dont matter who you are, you are all going to be in it. Full Stop. Nowhere to run.

Might be a good time to open a factory . . . :ponder:

This topic is a re-run, but why now? War across the Taiwan Strait has never been less likely.

the OP said he was bored

I prefer the “stuck in a zoo with all the animals loose scenario”, but this one seems interesting enough. Assuming I survive the initial attack, I would have to head for the hills. Get far away from any big city and try and last with the other runaway foreigners.

How long do you think such a war would last?

True. I believe an [wikipedia]Anschluss[/wikipedia] situation to be much more likely.

True. I believe an [wikipedia]Anschluss[/wikipedia] situation to be much more likely.[/quote]

I think it’s more likely there be a war than the Chinese president marching into Taiwan at the head of a PLA invasion force and cheered by hundreds of thousands of Taiwanese. :smiley:

True. I believe an [wikipedia]Anschluss[/wikipedia] situation to be much more likely.[/quote]

I think it’s more likely there be a war than the Chinese president marching into Taiwan at the head of a PLA invasion force and cheered by hundreds of thousands of Taiwanese. :smiley:[/quote]

This is also underestimating the U.S.'s commitment to defending the status quo. Any doubters could use the 2000 election and the subsequent response by the U.S. navy over the missiles fired near Keelung harbor as a reference. The U.S. military is not so over-stretched with a war in Iraq/Afghanistan that it would completely abandon one of its main beef repositories in Asia…is it? Also, considering that Munich 1938 (Sudentland - not Austria but still relevant) is considered to be one of the greatest blunders of the 20th century, I doubt world leaders would be so quick to accept the annexation of Taiwan. What’s next? An alliance between North Korea and the PRC targeting Japan? Highly unlikely all this speculation.

Why, I’d get guns for all of my kids and my wife and we’d go and shoot the…

What the hell can you do? If you’re early enough, get everyone you love out of the country. If you’re not, repair to the family cabin in the mountains or sit tight in your home with enough food, water and candles to survive a few weeks.

Depends on my level of Dutch courage.
Tanked up, I’d be heading to Okami’s place - can’t go wrong with a nuke-proof bunker and military arsenal.

Sober, I’d be learning the Chinese national anthem, donning my red undies, and getting in my supplies of Tsingdao to welcome the PLA.

A true change of allegiance! :laughing:

A true change of allegiance! :laughing:[/quote]

Bending like bamboo, all kung fu like.
Um, before I forget, can I just correct my former post; should be “Qingdao Beer” and not “Tsingtao”? I can’t stand feudal imperialist romanization! It oppresses the workers and leaves a nasty aftertaste.