Chinese is such an archaic language, it will be very difficult

Ha, true. I’m a Californian and it’s amusing to hear visiting folks try to pronounce some of our areas like San Joaquin, La Cañada, and Port Hueneme.

Even I can’t be sure, though: Cudahy is pronounced [ˈkuhd-uh-hay] in California, with a long ā sound at the end, while in Wisconsin it’s pronounced [ˈkuhd-uh-hee] with long ē. Likewise, Salinas [suh-ˈlee-nuhs, long ē] California vs. Salina [suh-ˈlie-nuh, long ī] Kansas.

2 Likes

I think you meant Meizhou. Chaozhou is its own language (Diu Jiu), and it’s close to Hokkien.

Meizhou borders Chao Zhou to the north.

Well, for anyone from Meizhou to get to Taiwan, they had to go through Chaozhou first. Back in the days, usually they were already living in Chaozhou before they decided to eke out a living farther away.

It’s interesting that most Chaozhou speaking people actually from Chaozhou didn’t choose Taiwan when they went aboard. Instead they went for Thailand, Vietnam, Malaysia, and other South East Asian ports.

Meizhou is predominantly Hakka. Most Hakka emigrated to Taiwan via a port close to Hong Kong.

Hokkien people don’t immigrate directly to the states either. They all to to SEA Asia. When I was in NYC I saw three in two years, and I was talking to people on the street everyday.

If you have any sources on this please share, I really would like to know.

By the way, for most of Ming and Qing, it’s Meixian, not Meizhou. The last time it was Meizhou was before 1369. Meixian was also a part of Chaozhou.

I doubt it though, because Meixian and Chaozhou being right next to Fujian is already so close to Taiwan. Why go all the way to anywhere near Hong Kong to get to Taiwan?

Most of the maps I saw look like this

https://kuaibao.qq.com/s/20180718G17BAJ00?refer=spider

https://kknews.cc/history/o2p8k2q.html

1 Like

I’ll try to find it.

I read it in Clyde Kiang’s Hakka Search for a Homeland when I was a freshman. Don’t have that book now, maybe I’ll find it in another source.

OK here’s a better example.

Japanese: kyu Hakka: giu
Korean: gu Holo: gao

There are two pronunciations for 9 in Taigi, one is káu, the other is kiú. The kiú pronunciation is from a later stratum, and káu is from the Old Chinese stratum. The Baxter-Sagart reconstruction puts the Old Chinese for 9 as /*[k]uʔ/, the final glottal stop fits the pattern of lenition of checked tones turning into an -au vowel.

It is also helpful to look at Vietnamese. In the case of 9, it’s cửu, which is pronounced as /kiw/ in Hanoi.

1 Like

So the older one, which is also in the Canto, got shipped off into Korean, the newer one into Japanese and Viet. Makes sense.