CHINESE SLANG: [was: "You are very motorcycle!"]

Last night I was called “38” or “san bah” by a co-worker. I asked her what it meant. She said someone who is never serious and is always joking is called “38”.I guess this is my new nickname in Taiwan. I really like it!!! :smiley:
I was saying that there would be a typhoon today and that our school and my girlfriend’s school would be closed. They asked me how I knew and I said, “trust me, I know!”. They asked who is making this decision. I said, “I was of course!”. :stuck_out_tongue:
Is this type of humor appreciated in Taiwan? I am very sarcastic. I will say the oppposite of what I think because I like giving funny answers to questions. :wink:
I’ve heard of “88”. That means something like “time to go” or “time for sleep”. :?:

I am sarcastic too, Taiwanese just don’t get it. Some of the posters on this forum don’t get it either.

never try sarcasm on your students :? they take it the wrong way
then you have to explain it for 20min

3 8 = you’re silly, but in a good way and funny
Taiwan ren xihuan 38

San Ba is usually used for girls. Are you a girl?

Sarcasm is a developing humor here… I have quite a few local friends that whip MY ass with it! And then there are many that just stare at you blankly…

88, 81 or 881 is online chat slang for bye-bye… since the chinese ba-ba-yi sounds like bye bye.

And I would translate ‘38’ as more ‘airhead’ or ‘ditzy’… so be careful what nicknames you choose to be proud of… ha… :smiley:

886 also Bye Bye le

Not to nit-pick or anything, but 886 means “bai bai lou” (

Yes Alien, I am a girl.

-Stevieboy

Has anybody of you ever met a Taiwanese who likes Monty Pithon? I haven’t. And actually I don’t really find Chinese/humour very amusing…I confess…