Chinese Students in Taiwan -- Using Traditional Characters?

Does anyone know if the Chinese students studying in Taiwan (and those who will be allowed to study in Taiwan, come September) are required to use traditional characters, or if they are being allowed to prepare papers in simplified ones?

That is a very good question indeed. Who knows?

Probably simplified chinese. I mean, where do they even start learning traditional Chinese when some of the simplified characters have been so far simplified that it has lost any resemblance to the original form? Besides, it doesn’t take much time to learn to read traditional or simplified characters if you already know one of the written forms.

On the other hand it would seem logical that they would be required to use traditional characters, same as everyone else. (and is the case already in, say, possibly, Hong Kong.)

If they are typing papers up on a computer I don’t see the difference having a big effect. Just need to change or upgrade their Pinyin IME to the traditional characters, and they can probably figure out the correct ones on sight if the IME presents multiple choices.

Exact, my mainland classmates either in Taiwan or Hong Kong adopted the traditional form pretty quickly. They still used the simplified form for their own notes but switch to traditional when needed. Chinese IME (such as Google Pinyin or Sogou Pinyin) already support traditional.

[quote=“Tortue”]
Exact, my mainland classmates either in Taiwan or Hong Kong adopted the traditional form pretty quickly. They still used the simplified form for their own notes but switch to traditional when needed. Chinese IME (such as Google Pinyin or Sogou Pinyin) already support traditional.[/quote]

thank you for the responses.

Mainlander Students need to use traditional, same as everyone else. They’re scarily good at public speaking, too.

Teachers tend to use a mix of traditional, simplified, Taiwanese simplified and scribble (probably traditional) though.