Chinese testing CT reception at the Olympics

from ChinaPost, so no green bias here

and here is a nice photo of the ROC flag, and on the back, the TPE whatever that means Taiwan

As everyone knows, almost every time a Taiwanese raises the ROC flag in a sport event, he gets assaulted or worse by the Chinese athletes and media. The WCG was not an exception, and now we know what the “friendship” of the other side of the strait means…

Too bad no one got a photo of these gamers actually scrambling towards the podium. But I guess we’ll take the DPP (or Apple Daily)'s word for it.

I see the ROC flag all over the place in the United States, but I’ve always been able to hold my emotional desire to tear it into pieces in check.

In Chinatowns all across the US, there were ROC flags celebrating 10-10. Sorry no riot in Chinatowns either.

What a sinister joke to mention the word ‘friendship’ when DPP has being indulging in every filthy tricks and lies denying that ROC and PRC are all part of one China. The DPP diehards can fly whatever flags they want, if only they emigrate from Taiwan. Peace will then prevail across the strait, no doubt.

Even the fishes in the strait will be brimming with full of joy… yah!

cctang, it was not published by the Apple Daily, as I read the news from a lot of sources, including gaming sites. Actually, the website I took the image from is far from being in Taiwan…

Another thing that showed up in the Apple Daily, and therefore I don’t know if it is true or not, and commented in several gaming sites worldwide, was that the Chinese government told their participants that if the ROC/Taiwan flag would be shown at the event, China would pull out of it. This might explain the anger of the Chinese players. The whole community, except from some Chinese players, are condemning them, specially a player called “PJ”, which seams to be one of the best starcraft players in the competition.

And, of course, we didn’t see anyone attacking the Gold Medalist who seems to be wearing a Dutch flag, did we?

there’s a lovely pattern to these replies, in so many posts.

1. post ‘China bashes Taiwan’ factoid,

2. rapid typical anti-Taiwan comment from the Three Stooges,

3. Mr Boogie rejoinders, and

4. urodacus makes a stupid parenthetical observation.

Easy!

urodacus, I just posted the information available in more than one website, and not Taiwanese ones. Don’t know exactly what beebee answered (as many of his answers are riddles) and cctang pointed to the DPP and the Apple Daily as sources of the story. I merely pointed out that the story was broadcasted in too many websites to be an “Apple Daily” only story.

Impressive is that almost none of the big media outlets didn’t cover up the story, although it involved attacks in the US soil and police intervention.

I think it is because the incident is being overexaggerated.

Yeah, you stand on my toes in the bus queue every morning too, and elbow me in the face as I try to board the bus…

Once is OK, twice is tolerable, thrice makes it a bad habit and you should learn more manners, but every day means you’re a c**t.

We are puzzled at your ingenuity for painting us as “Anti-Taiwan”, leaving us no choice except to protest mildly for your lack of sensitivity.

ac, which point is being over exaggerated?

I have one proposition, let the people start carrying the DPP flag around, as the KMT one is obviously hated by the Chinese…

[quote=“beebee”]We are puzzled at your ingenuity for painting us as “Anti-Taiwan”, leaving us no choice except to protest mildly for your lack of insensitivity.

–[/quote]

It’s like a bad episode of Star Trek featuring the Borg.

“This is the Borg Collective, prepare to be assimilated. We will add your biological and technological distinctives to our own. You will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.”

A telling comparison. Picard managed to escape, but not many did and lived to tell the tale.

Make it so, Warf.

Beebee, AC,

Riddle me this, did Ma and the KMT issue a statement to China to apologise to the Taiwanese citizen over this issue?

From what I’ve read, Ma didn’t attend the 10/10 ceremony, instead went to his own to promote the ROC and the ROC flag - so where is the outrage when there was an attempt to defile the ROC flag in public in another nation?

Regards
Michael

Picard advised the rogue regime not to resist because the soldiers are only programmed to survive. They were not programmed to kill people who do not resist them

Picard, make it fast and clean.

[quote=“mkegruber”]Riddle me this, did Ma and the KMT issue a statement to China to apologise to the Taiwanese citizen over this issue?
[/quote]
Mike, the protest was at least reported here…but given the malicious lies spread by DPP instigators, it’s made into the biggest headline of the year (yeah, at least here in Taiwan). Even CNN or NYT don’t bother to report any brief out of it.

Frankly I don’t encourage brute force to resolve issue (no physical intimidation was reported, I believe). However participants should adhere to the rules that is supposed to keep competition healthy and politics out. In this case, the flag in question should be Chinese Taipei, and not ROC. If that sound unclear, maybe another forum can be created to debate on this. Or maybe you may argue that Cyber Game is not part of IOC that dictate what flag to use.

So don’t made a mountain out of the molehill.

I do argue that this competition was not part of the IOC, not every “world” event is run by the IOC. Would you argue that the World Pumpkin Chucking contest is managed by the IOC just because it has the word “world” in it?

And how about we return to the original issue I raised shall we? I’m looking for a statement from Ma - if I remember correctly he is suppose to be in the running for President, ie representing Taiwan (ROC if you prefer) and I would think a press release or statement by Ma personally would show his potential voters what he does (or does not) stand for.

Remember, I fishing for what Ma’s view was on people trashing the ROC flag, which he so dearly prizes on 10-10 day. How does my wanting an opinion on the ROC flag, relate to the people waving the Chinese, Taipei flag at non IOC events?

Now, are you going to discuss the topic at hand, or just buzz, buzz, buzz like a bee?

Regards
Michael

Michael,

Does the DPP or CSB really believe in the significance of 10-10? They have single handedly insulted the very ideal of ROC. The very idea that any TI supporter would be in outrage at the ROC flag being disrepected, when they themselves are trying to replace the flag is almost too sick a joke to take seriously.

The incident happened on US soil. Shouldn’t the USA be handling affairs of civil disobedience in their own territory? They were more than efficient when a FLG operative had an outburst at the White House.

Or does freedom of speech only work for allies of the 1st world nation in the USA? If Liu is a ROC nationalist, he was given a platform express himself. The PRC reporters and attendees also have every right to complain, if at the convention there was a prior agreement about displaying the ROC flag.

Sure the TI group can try to elevate the incident into an international affair, however, I doubt very much this will make it very far past the convention management.

Anyways anyone have a video of the incident so we can judge for ourselves how “violent” this “suppression” was. I think it was probably no more than some heckling and cat calls. And maybe a PRC reporter approached the convention staff about the protocol of the affair.

remember, most of the sources of the news are international gaming websites, so any attempt to make it as a DPP thing is pure stupidity.

As for the KMT reaction:

and now for something completely different: (ac and bb, you can post next, otherwise this sentence has no meaning)…

Apparently that is correct. From a gaming website:

[quote]To the average spectator, it was just another medal given out to a player at the World Cyber Games Finals, which took place in Seattle last weekend. The winner would step onto the podium, wave their nation’s flag with pride, and receive their medal. But in the case of PGR3 bronze-medalist You-Chen Liu of Taiwan (aka D2C-BURBERRYqq), some competitors didn’t take kindly to his medal win and display of national pride.

As You-Chen stood on the podium carrying his country’s flag, he was serenaded with jeers and boos from some players representing mainland China: “F**k your mother!” “Was his mother a bitch dog?” “What kind of trash flag is that?” “You are not Chinese!” “Do you know that this will result us being banned from the competition!” Clearly, the mainlanders were not happy. Most people would wonder why? Why would players from one country care if someone from another country won? Is this poor sportsmanship? Racism?

To understand, you have to realize that Taiwan’s (Republic of China’s) citizens see themselves as a country separate from mainland China (People’s Republic of China). When the communists took over the mainland, the former leaders fled to Taiwan and created the Republic of China. However, the communists of mainland China see the island of Taiwan as a their own territory and do not recognize the “Republic of China” or any hints of independence.

I don’t want to turn this into a political lecture, but the last statement the mainlanders made may be perplexing to some; why would they be banned from competition? Well, in a country where nothing is done without the direct supervision and go-ahead by the communist government (especially when it concerns video games), the mainland Chinese players were reportedly told that if the Taiwanese flag was ever raised at the World Cyber Games, they would pull their players out of the competition for good. This is the same reason why Taiwan doesn’t have a flag (or even a name) when they participate in the Olympics.

We’ll have to wait and see if the communists stand by their policy of pulling out of the competition. Chances are the event organizers will take the heat, with the possible explanation of this being nothing more than an oversight and an accident, and apologize as much as it takes, as they have held several successful events in mainland China.[/quote]