Chinglish!

Hi All,
Any examples like this in Taiwan ?

They use electronic dictionaries or online dictionaries for the translation. So most of the errors actually came from machines not human. If the machine could not find the translation for the words it would just display “translate server error”.

1 Like

Assuming it’s for real, and it looks like it is, that is so funny Okbun. Really made my day - nice find!

Machines are incapable of error. Only humans who are too lazy to learn the language make the mistakes.

Machines are incapable of error. Only humans who are too lazy to learn the language make the mistakes.[/quote]

You are right about that.

There’s a pedestrain overpass in Taipei that has signage in English that calls it an “Engagement Bridge”…The Chinese words on \the sign are correct.
What were they THINKING?

Engagement bridge news 天橋英文名「訂親」 民眾盼成「心鎖橋] –

libertytimes.com.tw/2013/new … enter3.htm

Just watching a promotional vid for a Taiwanese clothing firm, with subtitles.
Halfway through, they come up with this, which caught my attention:

1 Like

The word “thoroughfare” (as in “Thoroughfare - do not block”) in the Taipei Main Station MRT was changed to the incorrect “pathway”.

I had to look up what ‘punctilious’ meant. Maybe the Spaniards here can describe just how punctilious their countrymen are, on average.

“Do not loiter and dawdle” might be a more useful instruction, considering the average MRT user’s haphazard navigation abilities, and it would give the signwriters a chance to show off their Ninja skill with (slightly) obscure English words.

Damn trapping fingers!

1 Like