Chip & Pin for your local Credit Card

I have got a local credit card, then I noticed last time I couldn’t use the UK Chip & Pin payment method. I’ve asked the bank here… but I didn’t get an answer I understand. What’s your experience? What’s it called in Chinese? Thanks.

From SinoPac’s website: Here

You can inform the cashier to press ‘enter’ directly on the payment terminal w/o having to input any PIN.

If you’re doing it yourself on self checkouts and you’re prompted to input your PIN, you can use the 4 digit cash advance PIN (預借現金密碼). You’d need to contact the customer service to set this in advance.

2 Likes

credit cards here in Asia don’t have yet the Chip&pin authentication method and very few POSs support it. So in the case where you are required to input a PIN for a card present transaction using a card which does not support PIN, just press enter and then you should be able to sign the receipt.

U can’t do cash advance on POS card present transaction, that’s only for cash advance (i.e. cash withdrawals using credit cards) at ATMs.

1 Like

While many marketing agencies have named it Chip and Pin, it’s not actually called that. It’s called EMV in all languages.

It may include a PIN, but the standard spec specifies that the pin is optional and that a signature can be used. Taiwanese cards often opt for signature.

Payment cards which comply with the EMV standard are often called chip and PIN or chip and signature cards,

2 Likes

also, PIN can’t be forced on non-compatible POSs. So it backtracks always to signature.

I was wondering about this. If I want to buy a subway ticket on a machine that requires a PIN, how can I get around that?

well, usually by pressing enter directly without inputting anything. Or depending on the system u can put any number u want, since it is not supported by the card. Or, if u have cash advance settings, u can put the PIN for cash advance, but usually is not required.

Does your credit card have the Easy Card app on the card? With this you shouldn’t require a pin.

The subway is not necessarily in Taiwan. So… no easycard there!

Ah so yes. Well I have a foreign credit card I can use with a pin number so not really an issue if my Taiwan cards can’t be used.

This not having a foreign account makes life tricky. I still can’t believe I gave up my HK bank account when it seemed so much trouble to keep it. But that’s beside my original question! It seems that several of the answers are here already! I’ll mark them up. I’m surprised the question isn’t more frequent! Thanks!

Nice context. Thanks!

Also found this

Chip and PIN is one of the two verification methods that EMV enabled cards can employ.[15] Rather than physically signing a receipt for identification purposes, the user enters a personal identification number (PIN), typically of four to six digits in length. This number must correspond to the information stored on the chip or PIN at Host. Chip and PIN technology makes it much harder for fraudsters to use a found card, inasmuch as if someone steals a card, they are unable to make fraudulent purchases unless they know the PIN.

Chip and signature, on the other hand, differentiates itself from chip and PIN by verifying a consumer’s identity with a signature.[17]
As of 2015, chip and signature cards are more common in the US, Mexico, parts of South America (such as Argentina, Colombia, Peru) and some Asian countries (such as Taiwan, Hong Kong, Thailand, South Korea, Singapore, and Indonesia), whereas chip and PIN cards are more common in most European countries (e.g., the UK, Ireland, France, Portugal, Finland and the Netherlands) as well as in Iran, Brazil, Venezuela, India, Sri Lanka, Canada, Australia and New Zealand

1 Like

I can confirm, this is the state of the industry rn.

Why is it trouble to keep it? I have HSBC in HK and it’s always proved useful to have. Also have account in Australia.

Indeed, that’s my experience too. Business account different matter, but personal accounts quite easy to keep

When I went back for CNY, for the few times I’ve paid my own way (my friends and my mom were adamant about paying on my behalf), it was almost always a chip and signature or your typical online purchase process. Maybe use mobile NFC where you are authenticated before the transaction starts if it seems more secure?

So I have set up the password on several cards. But one bank has been giving me the run around, telling me it’s not possible: I have to have a debit card. Well, it’s a credit card! I’ll try going to the branch to see if it’s possible. LOL! Such larks.

Hah! Turns out they were using my old ARC number from the 19th century before their systems could accommodate ANY ARC numbers. Such larks!