Chocolate in Trouble

I can understand some of those, but dysentry and amoebic dysentry? I once got dysentry during a backpacking trip in Jordan and Syria. Yes, it was bad. It meant shitting gallons of water every day for the rest of the trip. Went to a world class hospital in Bodrum, Turkey, and they misdiagnosed it. Wasn’t till I returned to Canada that I was able to find out what I had. A few anti-biotics and some clean home cooking and I was “fit as a fiddle.” Why would they include these two?

Chewy

Yeah, this certainly promotes Taiwan’s policy of making Taiwan a more attractive place for foreigners to invest and live in. :imp:

Sheesh.

Can you say “due process,” boys and girls?

I always thought Anthrax killed you outright. But at least they don’t include the more common STD’s such as Herpes. Could you imagine how many people would get the boot if they testes for this one?

i think all this discussion is a little beside the point…charles has been deported because his estranged spouse is very rich and very highly connected…at the end of the day that is what counts here…the std thing just made it very easy for them to explain the deportation…mind you i don’t think any americans out there should carp on about this; there’s nothing “free” and “democratic” about some of the post 911 legislation…anyone for a writ of habeas corpus?

Uh-oh… I think I might have the plague…

And doesn’t half the foreign guys in taiwan have Yellow Fever?

(Ok, bad joke, but you know someone was going to say it…)

I tend to agree with this assessment. In Taiwan, you don’t mess with someone who’s better connected than you are. Chocolate did, and he got burned.

Can you imagine how many Taiwanese men have infected their partners with an std? What is their punishment? Do they have to go live on Matsu island?

Polio? I thought that was wiped out of developing nations…oh wait Taiwan is not a first-world nation it’s a third world nation disguised as a first world nation…

A ‘friend’ had one of those show up on his ARC health check, had to be treated, but the test can be inaccurate (a common cold can cause a false positive), he had no symptons, and the only person he could have caught it from didn’t have it. I, erm, He wasn’t deported, even though the public health system obviously knew about it.

I agree that his deportation is outrageous. But I don’t think it is because of “connections.” There is glaring human rights/legal problem, which is that the police can deport anyone anytime they feel like it without any judicial review. Basically, he is being deported on a morals charge masquerading as a health issue.

If he wants to stay in Taiwan, he should see a lawyer and file and administrative appeal. I took a quick look at the law yesterday–while you may be deported if you have a communicable disease, there is no requirement that they do so. The Taipei County police are notoriously foreigner-unfriendly, and I’m pretty sure they are deporting him simply because they don’t like him.

The more common scenario is that an estranged ex reports a foreigner for working illegally or using drugs. It works almost every time, so keep your noses clean. This happened where I worked a few years ago. A Canadian teacher slept with two girls from the same English program, and she reported him The police discovered that he working on a student ARC and deported him. They also deported an American teacher who was doing the same thing. The American worked fot the Ministry of Defense, and was sure that his ‘connections’ would get him off the hook. They didn’t. So don’t overrate or fear ‘connections’.

Where’s the disguise?

i wish people would stop saying taiwan is a 3rd world nation…have you been to a 3rd world nation lately; there’s a pretty big difference. yes taiwan is a bit fucked up, yes the rule of law is somewhat arbitrary, the police can give foreigners a hard time (esp. if they are black and gay) but (and its a big butt) it’s not that bad a place to live…is it just the weather bumming everyone out or is forumosa really turning into the ministry of whine?

OK, then how does undeveloped nation sound?

OK, then how does undeveloped nation sound?[/quote]

“Less developed country” would be kinder and more accurate.

I wonder about the status of a person deported from Taiwan for reasons such as those cited in Chocolate’s case, i.e., are they permanently blacklisted from returning to Taiwan, or subject to exclusion for a fixed period (like visa over-stayers), or free to apply to return to Taiwan at any time, perhaps on the condition that they prove themselves cured of the disease that warranted their deportation?

[quote=“Chewycorns”]I can understand some of those, but dysentry and amoebic dysentry? … " Why would they include these two?

Chewy[/quote]

Stupidity?! Ignorance ?!

No, less developed nation with money … but no brains … or decency.

I got this from the internet:
The translation is mine, so please be forgiving of any mistakes! :stuck_out_tongue:

He already has the proof that he is cured, so why do they deport him? To let him back in on a new visa?

yes it is bullshit innit…he’s being deported for having a communicable disease despite the fact he no longer has it…but i guess the law is unclear enough to give the police discretionary powers in this type of case…and as i’ve already pointed out being foreign, black, and gay and upsetting someone with connections on high seems to mean someone high up in the FAP has decided the man has to go…

This is really strange. From what I understand, the occassional foreigner is found to have stds here. As long as it’s not HIV, no one gives a damn. This leaves me with a ton of questions:

1. what are his rights? When, if ever, can he come back to Taiwan? what’s the big deal? syphilis is curable!
  2. will the court’s decision scare foreigners here into asking for only STD tests annonymously? what will this do to the quality of their health care and accuracy of STD statistics? or will certain foreigners fear to get tested and just hope for the best? don’t foreigners have the human right of receiving treatment before being being deported? (luckily C is already cured…)
  3. if he did break the law by knowingly spread syphilis, shouldn’t he be held legally responsible BEFORE being deported? No fines? no jail time? This is another good thing to teach foreigners here: break the law and only get deported! good idea!
  4. the law keeps on talking about “if C is found to have butt fucked those two young boys…”
    a) is butt fucking illegal? (sorry for my crass language, but sodomy is too loose of a term and could me a wide range of offenses. the police and his wife have used “jijian” or “chicken fucking”, which is a highly crass and offensive term to me!) if this behavior is illegal, why is the Taiwan gov trying to make gay marriages legal?
    b) could C be charged for both rape and sodomy? It wouldn’t take the police long to confirm these allegations with the students. Why haven’t they? If they have, why haven’t they let the public know about the interviews of the students? Don’t Taiwanese parents want to see justice? Why aren’t parents demandning that C be held in Taiwan to be punished for raping their sons? Where is the concept of justice in this country?
    c) rape in Taiwan used to be strictly defined as a man raping a woman. has the law changed? Is there a clearly defined age of consent for homosexual sex? if so, how old were these boys?

so many questions, most of which will never be fully explored, as the court totally lacks forsight and the media doesn’t seem to do any investigative reporting either. so frustating sometimes. I don’t really like C, but I don’t think he has been given due process, and one has to feel sorry for him. he’s been here 16 years!!! He’s got nothing to go back to in the US… (I do have to applaude the TT for giving a rather neutral reporting on this and the gay sex party a few weeks ago! good job!)

from my experience it does seem to be the police policy to deport rather than prosecute western foreigners in many types of cases (minor drugs, working illegally etc.) so i guess the same applies here