I wanna get a chop made. Should I get my English name or my Chinese name put on it. I’d rather get my Chinese name, because it would look nicer, but I want to be able to use it and my Chinese name isn’t on my ARC or anything. Do foreigners usually get their English name put on the chop or do they get their Chinese name made official, or does it not matter as long as the chop is unique?



Don’t quote me on this, but I’ll tell you everything I’ve experienced in name chop land.

Basically, when you get a chop at a chop shop, you not only get a chop with your name on it, you get a sales slip recording that you bought that chop from that shop. So, that is part of the thing that makes your chop yours, it’s not just your name, it’s also where you got it. Also, since it’s used, let’s say, for accessing your bank account, whoever has the chop can pose as you, if the bank isn’t thorough enough to also check your i.d… I think the safest, if not most attractive name chop for a foreinger is a dual language chop…not as cool looking as an all Chinese, but it will have both your Chinese and English name on it, and once you’ve used it to open an account, etc…as long as you always bring back that chop, it’s valid. You can also make one just for fun, but they are seals, “signatures”, if you like, not toys. If you get one, do it with the same purpose Chinese people do and make it an official seal of your name…


I’ve been here for years and so far I’ve got no chop and don’t think I’d ever need one. For fun sake would be ok, but as for legal matters, it is not compulsory to have one.


I think there are a few things you need a chop for righ? Getting married? Registering a vehicle? I plan on doing both of those.



I needed a chop when I got married. Just consider it another of those many, many, many things you need to buy for your engagement/marriage. At least this one you get to use sometimes. People often get a matching set: one for the groom and the other for the bride.

I don’t have any English on my chop, mainly cuz I think it would look tacky. As for banks, I conduct business with my signature.

A former employer used to give me paychecks with my Chinese name, which of course wasn’t on any of my IDs at the time. Much to my surprise, it was usually sufficient to tell the teller: “No, really, that’s me. It’s just my Chinese name. I need to deposit this in my account.” Thus, Eye Opener really does have a point about the possible need for caution involving bank accounts. Or perhaps I just look unusually honest.

You could always get two chops, one with English and one without.


Having a Chinese Name and a chop can make life much easier in Taiwan. First, using an English Name has caused me all kinds of problems when setting up accounts at Video Rental Stores, Hospitals,Post Offices etc.

Our surnames are just too long for most computer systems. I’ve felt so embarrassed having the clerks at the video shop holding up customers, while they consult the instruction manual on how to enter and English Name.

Even the Bank of Taiwan could enter my full name at the time.

Since, I can’t write Chinese, I use my chop as a signature whenever necessary.

I would try to get your Chinese name tied to some form of identification.

For me, my Chinese Name is on my driver’s license, my wife’s household registry and before I was married, I was able to have it entered on the back of my ARC.


How do you get your Chinese name on your ARC - I wrote it on the form - and it is in the family book - but not on my ARC???

I know it was readable because the girl rang someone and mentioned it while I was at the desk.


I was able to have my Chinese name put on the back of my ARC when I came in to amend it with my change of address.

I just asked them to, showed them proof and they said no problem. I guess it’s up the discretion of your local police.